Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best truck I've owned
By fobserver

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Dodge trucks over the years. This is the first Ford truck I've owned. Bought it used with 97K miles. Only owned it for 3 months now, but I believe it's the best built pickup I've ever owned. I do have some concerns however. A tear appeared out of no where in the drivers seat, there is a whizzing/scraping sound coming from the right front (possibly brake issues). And the cam phaser knock that is common for these engines. Also the 4x4 will go into 4HI with no problem, but you have to mess with it to get it to go into 4LO, and then you have to mess with it some more to get it to come back out of 4LO. Have not towed with it yet, but I'm sure it's great at that.

Favorite Features

"Big truck" feel, roomy cab, comfortable ride, solid feel, no rattles or vibrations, very good looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

The very common cam phaser engine knock needs to be corrected in newer models to eliminate this engineering flaw. But I'm sure it has been corrected already. Spark plug nightmare needs to be corrected, although I've not went through this yet.

2004 F-150 XLT
By Skip Leicht

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle performs well, the 5.4 has all the power I need and the electronic transmission is geared well to this performance. The body style is a huge improvement over the F-150's built in the late 90's. The interior is comfortable for my 6'2" (200 lbs) frame.

Favorite Features

The body style (both exterior/interior). The sound system. The factory lift kit.

Suggested Improvements

You have to hit the overdrive button the disengage overdrive. It would be more practical to have the button engage the overdrive when desired.

EXCELLENT WORKHORSE
By MATT

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Owning this truck has been very good, Mine is a basic no-frills model but compared to the competition this is an excellent choice, Skip the Hankook tires if you can, poor winter traction. The paint on front of the box behind the doors on the bottom is prone to early chipping. 4.6 engine is sufficient for most uses, 17 mpg avg. If you pull trailer a lot the 5.4L engine is a better choice, even if unloaded mileage is lower, around 15 mpg avg. Floor shift 4wd is simple and easy to use. Auto transmission shifts flawlessly. A/C is good, as is the heater. The 8 foot box is very deep, you can get to your GVWR quickly, with dirt, rock or whatever. At max load there is no sway or unexpected surprises.

Favorite Features

Rear doors on a regular cab! Also extra room behind the seats.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights, Don't get me wrong, The headlights are good but some long range high beam lights would be nice. Standard seats could use a little softer foam.

It's been almost 7 years.
By BWJ1978

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

It has been almost 7 years since I wrote a review on this truck in 2003. I had some starting off issues with it but let me tell you this truck has ended up being a trooper. It now has 126,891 miles on it and I love it. It is my baby. Sadly, I am having to sell it for financial reasons and it hurts. These trucks are pretty good in my opinion. The transmission actually worked the problem out itself. I have only replaced normal items that wear. The only issues I asked Ford to fix have already been addressed in the 2009 model. Looking at my old review, man have I changed for the better, and my F150 has been by my side the whole way. I thank the Lord for such a great truck!

Favorite Features

Styling, color, interior, toughness.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements that I would complain about have been made in the 2009 model such as the leaky third stop lamp, power, and fuel economy.

F150 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
By Mike

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck... I've had a 89 F150 XLT, 97 Expedition, 2001 SuperCrew and now the 04 F150 XLT and I can't rave enough on how good this truck is. Towing is a dream, power is excellent, brakes are great, steering is tight and responsive. Only problems were a warranty recall on the rear axle, and a recurring dead battery since year one, which is a bad battery, but Ford won't replace it. I'm going to try one more time, before our Minnesota winter to get them to pony up. Did the K&N filter and cut off the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 3" 3 chamber SUV series muffler and this thing sounds great without droning at any speed. I still get 15 mpg avg summer and 13 mpg avg winter! I drive it hard.

Favorite Features

Towing ability. Power brakes. Appearance. Standard XLT features - power windows, brakes, heated mirrors, compass, 6 CD changer in dash, nice sound system, auto headlamps, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the truck a little. It's a 4x4, and the bed floor is 34 inches above the ground. There's 10" over each wheel to the bottom lip of the fender. It could be 6" lower without sacrificing any offroad capability.