2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Great Truck
By Michael on 09/18/07 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

One the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. Only major issues after 65,000 miles were a bad solenoid for the locking hubs and a temp gauge that is 6 degrees off. OE tires were borderline, and interior cloth stains quite easily. Interior quality was much better before they sourced this stuff out (yes, I worked at Ford years ago and still hold the competency of the truck group high). This thing has been down a lot of washboard dirt roads and on rough narrow two tracks and is still tight. K&E filter helped gas mileage a bit. Go with the 6.5' bed if you haul any lumber or want to use the bed for overnighters.

Great Truck
By VIRGIL PRICE on 06/25/07 08:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great. I bought it new and have only added dual exhaust, cold air, and a chip set at the low end of performance. What a difference these three items made. The truck is quiet and really a pleasure to drive. I will be getting another one this next month so I will have a new vehicle to pull behind my new motorhome.

First Year Woes
By slambertr on 06/06/07 15:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '04 F-150. Overall it was a great truck -- plenty of power, tons of room. But I encountered two issues that came with the first year of the new design -- tires wore excessively and rear parking brake stuck and caused a vibration. The dealer replaced the tires the first time but refused the second time. The dealer initially refused to fix the brake -- and then Ford "shared" the expense with me after I repeatedly complained (the dealer did not share in the cost). Overall, it was a good owning experience. Very big to park in shopping centers and poor gas mileage, but I knew that going in. Pulled our camper and hauled lots of stuff, in a comfortable and fun package.

Make sure it's what you want
By george on 03/18/07 06:53 AM (PDT)

I've owned several pickup trucks from different manufacturers. Make sure you buy one that you need. The F-150 has the best frame in the business. But what good is that if the drivetrain self-destructs? You're left with a large paper weight in your driveway. For me, the Tundra would have been a better choice. Even with its less developed frame, it is much more reliable. But you can't get $11,000 off msrp on a Toyota.

Look at another manufacturer
By der9765 on 03/02/07 14:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have owed 3 Ford trucks. I will not own a 4th. Ford failed miserably with this redesign. Problems I have are: Water leak on passenger side, replaced IWE solenoid and both ruined wheel ends $750, Rebuild rear due to loud whine $800, fix cam phasers (makes the 5.4 engine sound like a diesel) for $1300. These bills does not include the rotors that need repaired and the calipers that need replaced. Check the Ford TSBs. They are aware of these major problems but offer no assistance with repairs. They must be major issues because on 2 of my 3 repairs the parts were backordered. Trust me - Do NOT own an F-150 that is out of warranty. If it is under warranty, be ready to be without your truck - A LOT.

Cost of Ownership
By jk123 on 02/05/07 16:29 PM (PST)

Bought my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew new. Had to make a decision between the Ford and the Nissan Titan, bad decision on my part as it turns out. Currently on my 5th set of tires at 61,000 miles, had to replace brake rotors during the first break job, the tranny slips and Ford has not been any help. The customer service rep from Ford Motor Co. tells me they have done all they can do. The cost of ownership and the time spent taking this truck back and forth to the dealer is ridiculous. Sorry Ford, I have given up on you guys. If the Japanese want to take over the US truck market you should at least make them work for it and not just give it to them!

Good looking poor quality
By fbi08351 on 02/02/07 11:49 AM (PST)

I love the way the SuperCrew looks and drives, however the workmanship is below par. I have had to replace the front drivers seat twice before the warranty expired because it was falling about at the seams. The back seat had to be replaced because water was leaking around the cargo light on the top. I was told this was a common problem. The seats stain if any liquid is spilled on them including water. Also had to have tranny repair at 25,000 miles. I am a business man that only uses vehicle for light duty.

Beware
By jc on 01/08/07 19:55 PM (PST)

I traded in a 97 Silverado for this truck. It was a serious mistake. I went from a 5.7L engine to the 5.4L and my mileage was 1/2. The power was much greater in the Silverado, and the ride was outstanding. The F-150 shakes at each stop, even with that big V8, the defrost and a/c seriously effect the engine. The plastic in the interior is cheap, and the seats are uncomfortable. My truck has the tow package, and with pulling a small Boy Scout trailer the trucks performance was greatly effected. My truck only has 63,000 miles on it. Best suggestion, look to another manufacturer for a better truck.

2004 Ford F-150
By jmartinez on 01/02/07 07:07 AM (PST)

The only bad problem I have had is a light lagging at 20 mph in the transmission when changing gears. Ford says it is normal and I have talked to other F-150 owners and they have had the same problem.

Junk Truck
By sst338 on 12/05/06 16:27 PM (PST)

I have 71,000 miles on my truck and it is falling apart. Have gone through 4 sets of tires. Have had to replace both front rotors and calipers, rear also (the right front exploded on me when I had to hit he brakes hard on the freeway) and Ford wouldn't not warranty them with 21,000 miles on the truck. The 4WD part is terrible off road, it might work in the city but stinks in the real world! Plus the motor won't pull anything, and the transmission has been slipping since 40,000 miles. The dealer says it normal and nothing is wrong.