Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

2004 F 150 Lariet 2wd
By Steve

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this for me and my wife took it and I only see it on weekends. It tows a 7000 lb travel trailer with no issues even over mountain passes. Great truck.

Favorite Features

Premium sound is great, good power and great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

More seat travel, and seats that you sit in not on top of (no lateral support ) Put real truck tires on, not P series car tires.

Happy with my STX
By STX in North Dakota

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

GM owner all my life. Had a VW Jetta before this truck. In the shop more than a 3rd of the time I owned it. I now have this truck and a GMC Sierra SLT. I would say that between both of the trucks I would rather drive the Ford. More comfortable inside with STX package than GMC with leather and all the goodies. I would rather tow with the GMC, way more power. Both get equal MPG when not towing. Styling is better on the Ford. For an extended cab the Ford has more room for my sons car seat in the back. The 4.6 motor is definitely underpowered for serious hauling but works great for commuting and hunting/fishing. Pulls a small boat/camper with no problem. Would not tow more than that.

Favorite Features

Interior room and quality. Looks great! Decent MPG 13.83 city and 17-19 highway. Seat comfort, Ride height, bed space. If you don't want to waste $5,000 go with the STX package unless you have to have power windows/locks. Stick with the smaller motor unless you are going to tow heavy trailers!

Suggested Improvements

Put better tires on it from the factor General Ameritracs are garbage! Spray in liner from the factory.

EXCELLENT WORKHORSE
By MATT

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Owning this truck has been very good, Mine is a basic no-frills model but compared to the competition this is an excellent choice, Skip the Hankook tires if you can, poor winter traction. The paint on front of the box behind the doors on the bottom is prone to early chipping. 4.6 engine is sufficient for most uses, 17 mpg avg. If you pull trailer a lot the 5.4L engine is a better choice, even if unloaded mileage is lower, around 15 mpg avg. Floor shift 4wd is simple and easy to use. Auto transmission shifts flawlessly. A/C is good, as is the heater. The 8 foot box is very deep, you can get to your GVWR quickly, with dirt, rock or whatever. At max load there is no sway or unexpected surprises.

Favorite Features

Rear doors on a regular cab! Also extra room behind the seats.

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights, Don't get me wrong, The headlights are good but some long range high beam lights would be nice. Standard seats could use a little softer foam.

I'm Hooked!
By T. Jordan

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the truck brand new, actually traded in my 03 crew. What a change! These trucks are great. I pull a 29.5 foot holiday trailer with my F-150...nooo problem. The ride is car like and the truck is very responsive. All controls are easily reached. As well the interior noise is just non-existent. There really is no comparing the F-150 to the Dodge and Chevy. I have friends that have both as I have had and they love my F-150 also. All that truck and still costs less than the competitor's equivalent truck. Well made, great finish and fit. Every time I drive the truck my wife notes the big grin on my face, I'm hooked.

Favorite Features

Looks, 18" rubber, 3:73 limited slip rear differential, interior room, upgraded stereo, leather, towing capacity from factory = 8750 lbs, bells and whistles, and the overall solid construction.

Suggested Improvements

The rear window had a leak along the top which cost about $38.00 to fix and seems to be a problem with the truck. Also a LT tire would be good. Maybe a 6' box but Ford has remedied that already. Finally the fuel economy could be a bit better but I enjoy it so much I can deal with that.

F150 4X Cross Country
By Snohomish

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Lower door seals had to be replaced; they were collapsed and allowed dirt and water to get inside the door well. Acceleration is delayed for about a second after one "punches" the gas pedal. Rotors had to be "turned." Steering wheel would shudder upon putting on the brakes at speeds of 55 mph. Interior design is outstanding - very comfortable on a long trip. Suspension is outstanding.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design is outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

Look at brake system and acceleration system for improvement. Be careful on installation of seals. At a cost of $40k +-, there should be zero discrepancies.