Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 665 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Beware
By jc

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 97 Silverado for this truck. It was a serious mistake. I went from a 5.7L engine to the 5.4L and my mileage was 1/2. The power was much greater in the Silverado, and the ride was outstanding. The F-150 shakes at each stop, even with that big V8, the defrost and a/c seriously effect the engine. The plastic in the interior is cheap, and the seats are uncomfortable. My truck has the tow package, and with pulling a small Boy Scout trailer the trucks performance was greatly effected. My truck only has 63,000 miles on it. Best suggestion, look to another manufacturer for a better truck.

None.

Improve the power, and the cheap interior. Increase fuel economy. Fix the powertrain so the the truck doesn't vibrate every time you slow down or stop.

Until gas is $5.00/gallon....
By EJ

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've tried to convince myself to look at other vehicles (for fuel economy only), but I can't get away from Ford F Series! This is my third one; I've leased a 2000 XLT, 2002 XLT, and now a 2004 XLT. My lease on the '04 is up in six months, and I'll be stepping up to a SuperCrew (but sticking to an XLT). I love the interior room (I'm 6'5" and have plenty of headroom to spare), along with the big captain's chairs. My '02 had a bench seat in the front, but I missed having that huge center console. I don't mind the simple plastic features of the dash; if I wanted luxury, I wouldn't be in a truck. The radio is fine; plus, the cabin is SO quiet, you don't need a loud sound system.

Lots of interior head, foot, and body room. Big center console and bucket seats. Extremely quiet driving, even at 80 MPH. Smooth acceleration. Bold appearance. Drives like a Cadillac. Very powerful 5.4 liter V8 engine.

Get rid of those squeaky brakes and the annoying brake dust on the wheels! I have to wash the front wheels once a week to keep them clean. Dealers told me there's nothing wrong with the brakes. They feel fine, but make much noise. Fuel economy to improve with a hybrid coming in '08? Rumor?

2004 Ford F-150
By jmartinez

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The only bad problem I have had is a light lagging at 20 mph in the transmission when changing gears. Ford says it is normal and I have talked to other F-150 owners and they have had the same problem.

Looks, size, comfort.

Transmission gears.

Junk Truck
By sst338

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have 71,000 miles on my truck and it is falling apart. Have gone through 4 sets of tires. Have had to replace both front rotors and calipers, rear also (the right front exploded on me when I had to hit he brakes hard on the freeway) and Ford wouldn't not warranty them with 21,000 miles on the truck. The 4WD part is terrible off road, it might work in the city but stinks in the real world! Plus the motor won't pull anything, and the transmission has been slipping since 40,000 miles. The dealer says it normal and nothing is wrong.

NONE!

Why not try building a reliable vehicle or at least stand behind your warranty!

Awesome Truck
By Ford Guy

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck and I love it! I compared it to Chevy and Dodge and the features in the FX4 edition blew them away. It has plenty of power and handles great for a truck. It's true about the leaky rear window, but there was a recall from Ford so it's a free fix. My brakes do not squeal and gas mileage is not too bad considering the size of the engine. Off road, the suspension and power make it a fun ride. I pulled my friend's boat with no problems. Interior rocks with spacious seating and carbon-fiber plating. Reverse sensors have come in handy plenty of times. Best purchase I've made for a vehicle.

Power, looks, interior design and room, reverse sensor, 6 cd in dash changer, subwoofer, dvd player, towing power.

I only wish you can get both DVD player and sunroof together. Built in XM radio or input feature, volume control on steering wheel, and navigation screen.