2004 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Sort Reviews by

a few details.......
By Trucker Bob

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The 2WD Lariat F150 2004 model is great. A few details and it woud be perfect. Needs more interior storage, pockets, etc, the center console is just a single huge area without any dividers. No underseat storage either. Otherwise great, mileage ok, but not great; 14 in town 16 - 17 on the road. Pretty good for a heavy pickup. Acceleration good, not great though. Handling is great, brakes also great. Tires ok, Goodrich Long Trails. Interior design very good. BUT, where's the cassette player?

Favorite Features

Interior comfort and style.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the cassette player, and lose the cigarette lighter and ash tray.

Totally New Ford
By Ken

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Plenty of towing power. Good gas mileage for a truck (17.5 highway). Lots of room and very quiet and comfortable.

Favorite Features

Reverse sensors and center console with floor shifter.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the rotors warping and excessive brake dust.

F-150 FX4 Reg. Cab 6.5 SB
By Moses

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is very reliable, and very powerful for its size. With the 5.4 Liter V8, towing and off-road capabilities are almost limitless. However, I have encountered shifting problems with the automatic transmission very early on. The interior isn't very comfortable for long trips. The interior build is questionable as well; lots of plastic parts that can break very easily. I am very hard on my vehicles, and change almost every 5 years, and this truck has held up better within the first year of ownership than any other Ford vehicle I've driven. Overall, it is a reliable vehicle and very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

5.4 Liter Triton V8, shift on the fly 4WD. I hate the seat belt reminder though. It won't stop dinging until you click the belt. Very annoying at times.

Suggested Improvements

Improve shifting quality. Drive train is noisy. Also, improvements on the interior comfort and stereo system would make the truck unbeatable in its class. Dodge is slightly ahead, not in build quality, but in comfort.

this is one of the best
By cypress ford

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Had my truck for a while now and though it may be slower than the competitors, it is certainly more of a truck. It's comfortable and quiet. My mother has MS and we needed a truck and this is the only one with a good enough ride and that was quite enough for her. It is also the best looking in my opinion. Simply the best I think in almost every way.

Favorite Features

Power sliding rear window, 5.4 liter engine and the FX4.

Suggested Improvements

None, it's pretty good; maybe a little more power but it's already fine.

2004 Lariat Supercrew
By Paige kehrer

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is the best Ford truck I have owned in overall quality and ride. The gas mileage for the 5.4 motor is great (17.5-18.5 mpg) at 65-70 mph. My last truck, a 2003 F150 with a 6 cylinder only got 16 mpg at best.

Favorite Features

The center console/shift is the the best.

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise is still an issue.

Great Truck
By firstf150

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

First I was planning to buy a car but then I saw the oppurtunity to buy a truck around the same price of a car and decided to go with the truck. I made a great choice. I am really happy with this truck; don't plan on selling it anytime soon

Favorite Features

Has great power output

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

Wish I bought 4x4
By japple

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Not too many complaints about the vehicle. Very quiet ride and smooth at that. Have a water leak in the cabin which has been quite a hassle. Can't seem to get it taken care of. Overall good looks, okay performance.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, six disc cd changer, running boards

Suggested Improvements

Engine power. Love the power but can't afford the big 5.4

So Far So Good
By Ron

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck overstock in January. Needed Yellow for my business. This is a loaded 4X4 in shocking yellow and I think its great. Bug shield and step bars really set it off. Engine could be stronger but the weight due to extra size makes it worth it. I do feel and hear a not so subtle drive line rumble at about 62 mph. Other than this it is a very smooth and comfortable truck with a capital T.

Favorite Features

Roominess and Looks

Suggested Improvements

More small item storage up front. Gas mileage.

6th Ford and counting
By B obby McGee

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Ford truck in a row, so I may be somewhat prejudiced. (Note that it actually has a 6.5' bed, but that option with the 5.4L engine was not listed.) I am sufficiently satisfied with Ford trucks in general, due to my past experience, to consider them as a "first likely brand"; but am not a "hater"of other truck brands. This F-150 has technology that was only dreamed about 5 years ago, but it is based on the reliable results that have led me repeatedly to purchase Ford trucks. Styling is exceptional and the options I most like were all ones that I thought of as "fluff"...the reverse-sensing system, heated mirrors & remote keypad. It's your choice, but consider them!

Suggested Improvements

a. Go back to the lighted glove box. b. Put this body style on the F-250. c. Make better quality floor mats.

Satisfied F-150 Owner
By Paydirt

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in early October, and have driven it appx 5000 miles, and to date, am very pleased with my purchase. I had a 2001 XLT SCab (4.6L), and it was a fine truck; however, this one is a big step-up in ride comfort; the 5.4L - 3V provides more noticable power in spite of the extra weight (SCrew vs. SCab & 2004 added design weight). I owned 2 Z- 28's from '91 to '01, and am used to engine power, and this truck has all the power I want. I'm not racing from red light to red light anyway. Since 2500 miles my gas mileage ranges from 16.6 to 17.0 mi/gal. - not bad in my book.

Favorite Features

This truck is QUIET; roll-up the windows and you don't hear much road, or wind noise. The ride is the best of any vehicle I have ever been in.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can come up with is the level of the arm rests from the seating height that I like. They're just a tad low for the adjusted seating height that I like.