Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck
By VIRGIL PRICE

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is great. I bought it new and have only added dual exhaust, cold air, and a chip set at the low end of performance. What a difference these three items made. The truck is quiet and really a pleasure to drive. I will be getting another one this next month so I will have a new vehicle to pull behind my new motorhome.

The best feature of my F150 is the quiet ride. The truck is smooth on shifting. I have driven every truck out there because of my job and we all fought over who got the Fords.

There are two changes I would suggest to Ford. One, make a standard shift available with the 5.4. Second, offer more color options. I have wanted a true orange color for my last two trucks. Come on Ford!

First Year Woes
By slambertr

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just traded in my '04 F-150. Overall it was a great truck -- plenty of power, tons of room. But I encountered two issues that came with the first year of the new design -- tires wore excessively and rear parking brake stuck and caused a vibration. The dealer replaced the tires the first time but refused the second time. The dealer initially refused to fix the brake -- and then Ford "shared" the expense with me after I repeatedly complained (the dealer did not share in the cost). Overall, it was a good owning experience. Very big to park in shopping centers and poor gas mileage, but I knew that going in. Pulled our camper and hauled lots of stuff, in a comfortable and fun package.

Powerful engine, Nice interior, lots of space in cab.

Better help from dealer with known service issues.

If you are looking for a real truck
By Ford Truckin

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX Rwd Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Yes, you get less than 20 MPG. Yes, the suspension is hard, but if you want a real truck and all that implies, this is the truck for you. If you want a Lexus, go buy a Lexus. I love this truck. It feels strong and smooth on the highway, in town driving and hauling. If you need power all you have to do is press harder on the pedal. I love this truck and have had no problems at all.

The step side looks good! Power and performance are great.

Only if Ford can make it fly above traffic.

The Limo of Pick-Ups
By SLORYDN1

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is awesome! I love it. I had a 1997 F150 XLT when I purchased this truck, and as much as I liked the '97, this truck is 10 times better. I fail to see what all the complaints on the power are about. From 0-70 mph I can torch our Crown Vic Interceptors, and almost hang with the V6 Chargers we upgraded to. This is like driving a living room on wheels, it's so comfortable, and it is the vehicle I take on all of my long distance trips, poor gas mileage aside. I would recommend this truck to anyone needing a full size, yet comfortable truck.

Captain's chairs, floor shifter, electronic HVAC, radio/cruise/HVAC buttons on steering wheel, 5.4L 3 valve V-8

Better OEM Tires would have been nice. I would like to see better brake pads, especially on the front wheels, because of the brake dust.

Last Ford I'll ever own.
By Tom

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I loved the truck for the first year, then it all changed. The paint is peeling, the spark plugs got stuck in the heads, the fuel pump went bad, the rear slips and whines, it passes everything but a gas station, and Ford will not stand by their products. I would like to trade in the truck for a Tundra, but the trade in value is too low.

The truck drives great and is comfortable.

Buy trucks from Toyota and put your name on them.

• SUV