2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Worst truck I have ever owned
By bestbrewmaster on 04/15/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I still own the piece and have 92000 miles one it. By the time I had 55000 miles on it I was on my 3rd Rear Differential. I have never driven it off road. and I'm an older gentleman. I have replaced the 4x4 actuators 5 times. The truck sounds like a diesel truck and clicks all the time. Ford Said that was normal of course the said that when it was in warranty and now they say I need new engine. Junk Junk Junk

Drive it like you stole it
By natureschild88 on 07/02/13 11:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Simply put: best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my '04 FX4 with 50k miles. After owning for 5 years, I sold it with 174k miles on it. Every mile was hard driven. I have a heavy foot, like to floor it, frequently jump curbs with it, drive it like I stole it. Towed a 19' boat from San Diego to Lake Havasu and back on multiple occasions. Previous owner replaced the transmission: he was towing a 26' cabin cruiser with it - something you need an f250 for. Only thing I did was replace alternator and serp belt. Oil changes every 5-7k miles with MobilOne 5-20 full synthetic. I sold the truck to buy a newer model. At 174k miles, excellent resale value. Felt like crying the next day. Best truck.

mixed feelings
By telcom48 on 01/29/13 20:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat on black fiday 2005 with 45,000 miles already on it. This is basically my first truck. This is heavily optioned with everything you could get or want. With the automatic on the floor, I thought the interior was just the coolest. Needless to say, the looks and styling got me. I currently have just under 185,000 miles on the truck. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles or more before i get a new truck. Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I have spent an average of $1500 a year maintaining this truck! My recommendation is this... Do NOT buy the first model year of ANY vehicle when there has been a COMPLETE redesign. Wait until the bugs are out.

My 5th Ford Truck
By hambone33 on 04/27/12 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my first Ford Truck in 1990 and have owned nothing but Fords since then but I am about to try another brand after this 2004 F-150. One of the over the plug coil melted down - twice. The second time leaving me stranded on vacation. THe dealer in Redding CA stuck it to me on the price of repair. The rear axle seal started leaking. Replaced both axles as they had a ring worn around them by the seals. 30K mi. later same thing and had to replace axle and seal. Leaked again, back to dealer 3 times. Still leaks and they say I need whole new rearend. Still driving it but going to sell and buy a 2013 RAM.

Love this truck but you will have issues along the way.
By bigbertha on 03/01/12 14:45 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is a wonderful truck to own. It looks good drives good and is dependable. However, expect one if not all of the window regulators to go out. Ford used cheap plastic parts so the gear will go bad eventually. Second, the spark plugs for 04-08 models were designed poorly and get seized into the heads. Expect a bill of anywhere from 800-2000 to replace them as Ford charges by hour to remove them because they break off. Last, the timing gears are plastic and break and result in thousands of dollars in repairs. VCT Solenoid & cam phasers also go bad. Google all the known issues with this truck first. These are the major ones to expect. If you're able to work through them it's a good truck.

Great Truck
By floridafordleo on 12/14/10 06:57 AM (PST)

Bought the truck in January 2004 when there weren't many on the road. 120,000 miles later and the only two things on the entire truck that have broke was the passenger side window motor and the grommet on the center shift linkage. Unbelievable low maintenance truck. Been using mobile one full synthetic oil since it was a baby and Fram filters. Two sets of brakes and 3 sets of tires later the truck is perfect. Everything in the truck still works even those back up sensors. Put a leveling kit on it when it was new and thats it. Great truck, not looking forward to changing the plugs though, that maybe a big problem due to the issue with the 5.4 and the spark plugs breaking off.

I only buy Fords
By OBX on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab STX Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my STX 01/2010 with 28,000 miles. Like the body style. Very comfortable ride. Still like new. The only issue I have is that it shimmies when I put brakes on at > 45 MPH. Guess I'll get rotors replaced.

2004 FX4
By jason803 on 09/03/10 12:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in 2008 after looking through numerous car dealerships. It was love at 1st sight. 2 years later I still love my truck only problems I have had was a leak in rear window and water in the tail light nothing major. I use it for my boat and I sometimes forget I am hauling anything. I almost ripped the back end of a honda civic off that was stuck once and barely press the gas. Overall very good buy even though it get jealous when it sees the new chevy 2500HD pass by. I only see around 13-15 mpg which not very good but I bought the edge evolution and now get around 16-17 mpg also recommend this item as a add on

Great Truck!
By Bill on 07/20/10 18:21 PM (PDT)

Don't say anything about the fuel economy. You don't buy a 6000 pound truck and expect 30 mpg! This is a solid truck and even after 6 years, I still love it. I don't drive it that much, but it has been very reliable. The only real problem was the rear end, which had to be replaced by the dealer after about 4000 miles. When they put it back together, they forgot to lube the yoke which caused the drive shaft to go bad. All these were done under warranty at the dealer. Other than that, no problems at all (knock on wood). It's easy to understand why this truck sells so well.

Ford Trucks Not of this "Realm"
By Michael A. Ruiz on 07/11/10 09:18 AM (PDT)

I have had my truck 6 years 150,000 miles not a single problem. have towed and hauled and I will say that you do not feel what you are towing or hauling, like other trucks especially when cornering or coming into and out of curves. Power yes everyone wants more power but when using your truck for recreational or light to medium work you cant beat "Ford" its like this truck was made somewhere else like another realm or world, where quality is all they do :-). if you need to haul heavy work loads then get a F-250 or F-350 which these trucks are hard to beat in the "Big Mans World of heavy haulers". oh!! by the way my 4.6 V-8 gets 24 miles per gal with the K/N air filter as the only add on.