Used 2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Strong running truck
By fordfan95

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

truck is now over 11 years old, and is still running strong with 84,000 miles on it. truck tends to be problematic in the large 5.4 version with cam phasers and broken spark plugs, however the 4.6 does not suffer from these problems. this past winter we have had more snow and more colder days than in decades, and having it sit in below zero weather for 3 days straight, it cranks first start without missing a beat. parts are EXTREMELY cheap being as the 4.6 is the most common fleet vehicle engine, so parts are easily accessible and readily available. the body and frame are extremely durable and after 11 years in the heart of the salt belt, its completely rust free.

the looks and driving characteristics. after 11 years of new york pot holes, nothing rattles of squeaks when you hit bumps. just a well built interior.

brake lines are all specially coated black film from the factory that are essentially thin hard rubber insulation around the lines that have kept them rust free and spotless unlike the 04-07 silverado brake lines that rust into the abs unit. however ford should use the same treatment process on there power steering line in direct cotact with road debris, salt and road brime that tends to rust them. however its only a 13$ part and extremely easy to change.

Low maintence reliability-great diverse truck
By gnat1

Love my F150. I bought it at 18000 miles and now have 73000 miles on it with no troubles. I pull a horse trailer with it and drive it to work, it is my "everything" vehicle. Other then changing my oil, and brakes, I haven't had to do any repairs of any kind. Tows excellent with my horse trailer which probably reaches up to 5500 ibs. I have towed up steep grades when we go horse camping up in the mountains. Handles excellently. i would definately recommend this vehicle if you want a reliable, tough, and well designed truck. Only downfall is I don't car for where the "oh Sh@#" handles are in the interior. They are placed to far forward.

tow package, exterior styling, interior room in the regular cab. Extra space in back great for groceries or even snowboards.

Move the interior handles to right above the door instead of in front .

Best truck I've owned
By fobserver

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Dodge trucks over the years. This is the first Ford truck I've owned. Bought it used with 97K miles. Only owned it for 3 months now, but I believe it's the best built pickup I've ever owned. I do have some concerns however. A tear appeared out of no where in the drivers seat, there is a whizzing/scraping sound coming from the right front (possibly brake issues). And the cam phaser knock that is common for these engines. Also the 4x4 will go into 4HI with no problem, but you have to mess with it to get it to go into 4LO, and then you have to mess with it some more to get it to come back out of 4LO. Have not towed with it yet, but I'm sure it's great at that.

"Big truck" feel, roomy cab, comfortable ride, solid feel, no rattles or vibrations, very good looking truck.

The very common cam phaser engine knock needs to be corrected in newer models to eliminate this engineering flaw. But I'm sure it has been corrected already. Spark plug nightmare needs to be corrected, although I've not went through this yet.

Ford F-150 Window Regulators
By kraftypam

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my Ford since I purchased it new in 08/05 for the most part. However, I am completely frustrated with Ford's response to my complaints about what obviously is a flaw in the window regulators that were installed in this year and make. I have replaced all 4 regulators/front and rear and Ford has accepted no responsibility. (replaced 2 in 2008, 1 in 2009, and 1 in 2011) After searching the internet for similar complaints it appears the problem with the 2004 Ford F150 Supercrew is wide spread and Ford will do nothing. $2000 in window repairs later, I will now consider a Chevy as my next truck purchase. Ford has let me down by not standing behind their product and manufacturing.

I have less than 60,000 miles to date and other than the windows the truck has been trouble-free.

Ford needs to stand behind their manufacturing and parts.

1st truck, 1st owner. So far, so good.
By First_Time_Owner

2004 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab STX Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Kept up with all the fluids and filters. There was a recall in early years. Never brought it in for any of the major annual routine checks. I replaced it's first set of tires, brakes, rotors, and axle seals at 90,000 miles, battery at 80,000. Turned 100,000 miles this month. I drive it easy and push it hard. Still runs optimal. Drives good on long hauls and 115+ degree desert heat. Starts up easy under 30 degree tempts too. Handled good when sliding all over the wet/dry roads. The cab is roomy, comfy and quiet. Back window seal has a small crack, bed trim faded quick, and the seals around the cowl cracked and blew away long ago due to desert life. Painted red and still looks good.

The back doors and extra cab space is convenient. The taller bed height is a plus when moving stuff. Interior and exterior is streamlined. With no carpet, easy to keep clean. Seat belt placement is nice too. And cracks me up when people forget how to open the door. LOL.

A wider center seat/arm rest; plenty of seat space to accommodate. Get rid of the wussy exhaust system; people don't intend to buy a truck for it's sound qualities. Fix tranny, tends to jerk into second a bit rough at lower speeds.