2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Think Again
By Bill on 02/05/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

After I bought it, I loved it. However, there were rear end problems twice, then the drive shaft, now the rear end again. I have babied this thing and it can't seem to handle simply driving down the road. It is a 4x4, but I don't trust the drivetrain enough to do anything with it. The engine also makes alot of noise, but Ford said this is normal due to 5W-20 oil. I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Look at another manufacturer
By der9765 on 03/02/07 14:37 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have owed 3 Ford trucks. I will not own a 4th. Ford failed miserably with this redesign. Problems I have are: Water leak on passenger side, replaced IWE solenoid and both ruined wheel ends $750, Rebuild rear due to loud whine $800, fix cam phasers (makes the 5.4 engine sound like a diesel) for $1300. These bills does not include the rotors that need repaired and the calipers that need replaced. Check the Ford TSBs. They are aware of these major problems but offer no assistance with repairs. They must be major issues because on 2 of my 3 repairs the parts were backordered. Trust me - Do NOT own an F-150 that is out of warranty. If it is under warranty, be ready to be without your truck - A LOT.

Cost of Ownership
By jk123 on 02/05/07 16:29 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew new. Had to make a decision between the Ford and the Nissan Titan, bad decision on my part as it turns out. Currently on my 5th set of tires at 61,000 miles, had to replace brake rotors during the first break job, the tranny slips and Ford has not been any help. The customer service rep from Ford Motor Co. tells me they have done all they can do. The cost of ownership and the time spent taking this truck back and forth to the dealer is ridiculous. Sorry Ford, I have given up on you guys. If the Japanese want to take over the US truck market you should at least make them work for it and not just give it to them!

Good looking poor quality
By fbi08351 on 02/02/07 11:49 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love the way the SuperCrew looks and drives, however the workmanship is below par. I have had to replace the front drivers seat twice before the warranty expired because it was falling about at the seams. The back seat had to be replaced because water was leaking around the cargo light on the top. I was told this was a common problem. The seats stain if any liquid is spilled on them including water. Also had to have tranny repair at 25,000 miles. I am a business man that only uses vehicle for light duty.

Junk Truck
By sst338 on 12/05/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have 71,000 miles on my truck and it is falling apart. Have gone through 4 sets of tires. Have had to replace both front rotors and calipers, rear also (the right front exploded on me when I had to hit he brakes hard on the freeway) and Ford wouldn't not warranty them with 21,000 miles on the truck. The 4WD part is terrible off road, it might work in the city but stinks in the real world! Plus the motor won't pull anything, and the transmission has been slipping since 40,000 miles. The dealer says it normal and nothing is wrong.

Awesome Truck
By Ford Guy on 11/10/06 20:10 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first truck and I love it! I compared it to Chevy and Dodge and the features in the FX4 edition blew them away. It has plenty of power and handles great for a truck. It's true about the leaky rear window, but there was a recall from Ford so it's a free fix. My brakes do not squeal and gas mileage is not too bad considering the size of the engine. Off road, the suspension and power make it a fun ride. I pulled my friend's boat with no problems. Interior rocks with spacious seating and carbon-fiber plating. Reverse sensors have come in handy plenty of times. Best purchase I've made for a vehicle.

I'm Hooked!
By T. Jordan on 08/01/06 12:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the truck brand new, actually traded in my 03 crew. What a change! These trucks are great. I pull a 29.5 foot holiday trailer with my F-150...nooo problem. The ride is car like and the truck is very responsive. All controls are easily reached. As well the interior noise is just non-existent. There really is no comparing the F-150 to the Dodge and Chevy. I have friends that have both as I have had and they love my F-150 also. All that truck and still costs less than the competitor's equivalent truck. Well made, great finish and fit. Every time I drive the truck my wife notes the big grin on my face, I'm hooked.

Built Ford Tuff
By 04redfx4 on 07/13/06 10:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

If you are thinking about this truck get it. It is a very fun truck to have and it is a blast to drive off road.

Solid truck
By carl on 06/05/06 14:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Solid truck, you feel how solid it is. Feels more like a 3/4 ton. Engine doesn't feel like 300 hp, but when towing it does demonstrate adequate torque at low rpm's. Great for when towing our travel trailer.

FX4 - 1 Year Review
By mmszoo on 08/11/05 13:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Best looking truck on the road. Solid build. Had car back into the rear end of my truck the other day. Did lots of damage to car but not a scratch on my truck. Distance sensor is handy since seeing over bed is a bit tough. Enjoying the upgraded sound system. Would be even more enjoyable with steering wheel controls. Little disappointed with the brake squeals. Was told by dealership that all new Ford F150's do this. Started noticing grooves on the rotors early. Ford should really look at this flaw and correct immediately