Used 2004 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Engine Problem
By Eric

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 XLT 5.4 Crew Cab something in the engine broke around 77,800mi when I was doing about 45mph. Tow it to the dealership to have them look at it. They believe the crank broke because it does not turn. The dealership contacted Ford to see about help with the problem and Ford said out of warranty its their problem. New engine thru Ford around $5,000 then labor it would cost $7,400. I also talked to the reginal rep. for Ford that takes care of Gorno Ford and she said you're out of warranty. I told her that I know I am out of warranty but I should get more then 78,000mi after spending over $32,000 dollars. I ask to talk to her boss and said she has no boss to answer to. FORD TOUGH

Favorite Features

Looks good sitting in my backyard, to bad I can't drive it. If I knew I had to spend $40,000 in six years I would have brought a F-350 or Hummer

Suggested Improvements

Work with their customer to fix problems that are major like this and it should not matter if you do your own oil changes. The dealer charges over $30.00 and thats for 5qt of oil. Buy Motorcraft oil 7qt and filter for around $18.00. Do the math when money is tight.

Great Truck
By Michael

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

One the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. Only major issues after 65,000 miles were a bad solenoid for the locking hubs and a temp gauge that is 6 degrees off. OE tires were borderline, and interior cloth stains quite easily. Interior quality was much better before they sourced this stuff out (yes, I worked at Ford years ago and still hold the competency of the truck group high). This thing has been down a lot of washboard dirt roads and on rough narrow two tracks and is still tight. K&E filter helped gas mileage a bit. Go with the 6.5' bed if you haul any lumber or want to use the bed for overnighters.

Favorite Features

Rear doors. Compass and outside temp gauges. Remote rear glass vent (mine didn't have it). Visibility (tall wide glass for off-road driving) - I would not take a Hummer where I took this thing (unless someone else covered the body damage and tow favors).

Suggested Improvements

Storage bins under rear seats. Lower bed depth (would help bed access and rear vision). Narrower side mirrors (extendable for towing). A composite bed cover that does not increase bed height.

Beware
By jc

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 97 Silverado for this truck. It was a serious mistake. I went from a 5.7L engine to the 5.4L and my mileage was 1/2. The power was much greater in the Silverado, and the ride was outstanding. The F-150 shakes at each stop, even with that big V8, the defrost and a/c seriously effect the engine. The plastic in the interior is cheap, and the seats are uncomfortable. My truck has the tow package, and with pulling a small Boy Scout trailer the trucks performance was greatly effected. My truck only has 63,000 miles on it. Best suggestion, look to another manufacturer for a better truck.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the power, and the cheap interior. Increase fuel economy. Fix the powertrain so the the truck doesn't vibrate every time you slow down or stop.

Chevy and Others Bow To THE KING
By FordMan

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a red SuperCrew with tan interior, tow package, two-tone lower gold and of course the 5.4 3-valve with the 3.73 gears. The truck has performed superbly. Originally it was a rental and had 12,000 miles which tells you it wasn't used with the most care, but the interior, exterior etc. showed almost no signs of wear. The truck has never let me down. The only thing "bad" that happened was it needed a new starter. The interior has top-notch quality and design much better than other trucks. The exterior is muscular and tough. The 5.4 performs with awesome power. The brakes had to be replaced at about 30,000 miles but I drive mostly city, unfortunately. It does get 13-15 miles in town.

Favorite Features

I love the looks, ride, control, comfort, power and everything. Especially the 5.4 and advanced suspensions. It drives and handles extremely well. No truck can match this in comfort, control and superiorness. Nissan has a little more power & room, Chevy has nothing, Dodge has HEMI, Toyota has nothing.

Suggested Improvements

The only things I think should be changed are the rear bench should be about 2" higher off the floor for more comfortable seating position. And the standard Continentals are junk! Get Nitto TerraGrapplers and the steering vibration at 60-75 will disappear. Any truck could use more power and economy right?

F-150 Crewcab
By MACTEP

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The 2004 F-150 SuperCrew holds the road well, offers a solid ride and comfortable room for five. Still, it leaves room for improvement.

Favorite Features

Nice styling.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a longer truck bed. Stop using cheap plastic for the interior. A/C is very weak. Noisy brakes.