Used 2004 Ford F-150 FX4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best truck I've owned
By fobserver

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Dodge trucks over the years. This is the first Ford truck I've owned. Bought it used with 97K miles. Only owned it for 3 months now, but I believe it's the best built pickup I've ever owned. I do have some concerns however. A tear appeared out of no where in the drivers seat, there is a whizzing/scraping sound coming from the right front (possibly brake issues). And the cam phaser knock that is common for these engines. Also the 4x4 will go into 4HI with no problem, but you have to mess with it to get it to go into 4LO, and then you have to mess with it some more to get it to come back out of 4LO. Have not towed with it yet, but I'm sure it's great at that.

Favorite Features

"Big truck" feel, roomy cab, comfortable ride, solid feel, no rattles or vibrations, very good looking truck.

Suggested Improvements

The very common cam phaser engine knock needs to be corrected in newer models to eliminate this engineering flaw. But I'm sure it has been corrected already. Spark plug nightmare needs to be corrected, although I've not went through this yet.

2004 F-150 XLT
By Skip Leicht

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

The vehicle performs well, the 5.4 has all the power I need and the electronic transmission is geared well to this performance. The body style is a huge improvement over the F-150's built in the late 90's. The interior is comfortable for my 6'2" (200 lbs) frame.

Favorite Features

The body style (both exterior/interior). The sound system. The factory lift kit.

Suggested Improvements

You have to hit the overdrive button the disengage overdrive. It would be more practical to have the button engage the overdrive when desired.

F-150 FX4 Reg. Cab 6.5 SB
By Moses

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is very reliable, and very powerful for its size. With the 5.4 Liter V8, towing and off-road capabilities are almost limitless. However, I have encountered shifting problems with the automatic transmission very early on. The interior isn't very comfortable for long trips. The interior build is questionable as well; lots of plastic parts that can break very easily. I am very hard on my vehicles, and change almost every 5 years, and this truck has held up better within the first year of ownership than any other Ford vehicle I've driven. Overall, it is a reliable vehicle and very fun to drive.

Favorite Features

5.4 Liter Triton V8, shift on the fly 4WD. I hate the seat belt reminder though. It won't stop dinging until you click the belt. Very annoying at times.

Suggested Improvements

Improve shifting quality. Drive train is noisy. Also, improvements on the interior comfort and stereo system would make the truck unbeatable in its class. Dodge is slightly ahead, not in build quality, but in comfort.

Sweet F-150
By Jeff

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Traded a 1999 F-150 XLT on this truck. What a difference. I loved my "99" but this truck is far superior to my 99 in every aspect. Power and handling are top notch. Quietest cab I've ever had the pleasure to ride in. Quality and workmanship are outstanding. Layout of the instrument cluster is refreshingly different and very easy to read and access. I ordered the 18" wheels and would recommend this option to everyone considering a purchase of the F-150 FX4 This truck has made me a Ford owner for life!

Favorite Features

Instrument cluster, Quiet smooth ride, Exterior and interior appearance. I am unable to fault this truck in any aspect.

Suggested Improvements

none

I LOVE IT
By David760

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck, im pretty much an expert, basically, the shocks make it have a smooth ride, there is a feature in the front that absorbs shock from an accident, the braking was designed excellently, the truck puts out 80% of its peak torqe at only 1,000 RPM, making pulling heavy loads from a dead stop easier, and it has a quiet ride so you dont have to hear someone elses music at a stoplight. I would reccomend the 2004 Ford F-150 to anyone!

Favorite Features

Outboard shocks, Safety, speed, performance.

Suggested Improvements

8 Ft. Bed available in 5.4 Lt. v8.