2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Great truck! Poor MPG.
By greerdavidj on 12/04/14 08:38 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 3 years now. I really enjoy how the cab just fits. I love having 7 cupholders within reach from the driver's seat. The vents look nice and are very easy to adjust without breaking. The power is good on this truck for what I need (pulling trailers, pulling out trees with a chain, squalling tires to be a show-off, accelerating, etc.). The back seat is fairly comfortable. We really enjoy the small supercab windows. They're perfect for our two dogs to put their heads out of. My biggest complaint would be the gas mileage. They say, "It's a truck! What do you expect?!" Mine gets 14 at best on the highway and 10-11mpg in the city. Doesn't touch the EPA 13/17.

Worst Ford I have Owned.
By bestbrewmaster on 10/28/14 09:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At 45000 I needed a Rear Diff. under warranty and at 75000 I needed a new Rear Diff again. 4x4 has not worked since 70000 miles and they don't even know what it is and have not been able to fix it they think it electrical. Transmission slips all the time since around 35000 miles and they say that is normal. I currently have 98000 miles on it and I now have a P00012a error (cam shaft timing) and apparently now I need a new engine. I would never buy one of these as they are Not Ford Tough...

Strong running truck
By fordfan95 on 10/19/14 19:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

truck is now over 11 years old, and is still running strong with 84,000 miles on it. truck tends to be problematic in the large 5.4 version with cam phasers and broken spark plugs, however the 4.6 does not suffer from these problems. this past winter we have had more snow and more colder days than in decades, and having it sit in below zero weather for 3 days straight, it cranks first start without missing a beat. parts are EXTREMELY cheap being as the 4.6 is the most common fleet vehicle engine, so parts are easily accessible and readily available. the body and frame are extremely durable and after 11 years in the heart of the salt belt, its completely rust free.

Worst Ford I ever owned
By kinnstreet on 09/21/14 08:19 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have only 90 on this after buying it fresh off the showroom floor. I can't believe that Ford would allow such a mess. So many things have gone wrong and cost me money on a brand new truck even before 70k miles I can't even begin to list them all, however the other reviews pretty much say it all. My father and I have owned Ford trucks our whole lives.... My next truck will be a RAM, and my son will also be buying either RAM or foreign. Way to go Ford, you broke a family tradition of over 50 years of owning Ford Trucks.

best and worst truck i ever owned
By marknkim444 on 05/08/14 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

04 f150 5.4 i love the looks of this truck. i love the drive and comfort of this truck, unfortunately i will probably never ever buy a ford again. This truck will cost you a fortune to keep\. first of all everything on this motor will tick or clack at some point. the cam phasers will without a doubt cost you 1800 to fix once or twice. Thank heavens they are 100000 mile spark plugs because they will cost you a min. of 800 to change. Ford will not even think about helping you with all the ticking until your factory or aftermarket warranty runs out.This was my fourth and last ford.

Worst truck I have ever owned
By bestbrewmaster on 04/15/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I still own the piece and have 92000 miles one it. By the time I had 55000 miles on it I was on my 3rd Rear Differential. I have never driven it off road. and I'm an older gentleman. I have replaced the 4x4 actuators 5 times. The truck sounds like a diesel truck and clicks all the time. Ford Said that was normal of course the said that when it was in warranty and now they say I need new engine. Junk Junk Junk

Drive it like you stole it
By natureschild88 on 07/02/13 11:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Simply put: best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my '04 FX4 with 50k miles. After owning for 5 years, I sold it with 174k miles on it. Every mile was hard driven. I have a heavy foot, like to floor it, frequently jump curbs with it, drive it like I stole it. Towed a 19' boat from San Diego to Lake Havasu and back on multiple occasions. Previous owner replaced the transmission: he was towing a 26' cabin cruiser with it - something you need an f250 for. Only thing I did was replace alternator and serp belt. Oil changes every 5-7k miles with MobilOne 5-20 full synthetic. I sold the truck to buy a newer model. At 174k miles, excellent resale value. Felt like crying the next day. Best truck.

mixed feelings
By telcom48 on 01/29/13 20:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat on black fiday 2005 with 45,000 miles already on it. This is basically my first truck. This is heavily optioned with everything you could get or want. With the automatic on the floor, I thought the interior was just the coolest. Needless to say, the looks and styling got me. I currently have just under 185,000 miles on the truck. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles or more before i get a new truck. Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I have spent an average of $1500 a year maintaining this truck! My recommendation is this... Do NOT buy the first model year of ANY vehicle when there has been a COMPLETE redesign. Wait until the bugs are out.

My 5th Ford Truck
By hambone33 on 04/27/12 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my first Ford Truck in 1990 and have owned nothing but Fords since then but I am about to try another brand after this 2004 F-150. One of the over the plug coil melted down - twice. The second time leaving me stranded on vacation. THe dealer in Redding CA stuck it to me on the price of repair. The rear axle seal started leaking. Replaced both axles as they had a ring worn around them by the seals. 30K mi. later same thing and had to replace axle and seal. Leaked again, back to dealer 3 times. Still leaks and they say I need whole new rearend. Still driving it but going to sell and buy a 2013 RAM.

Low maintence reliability-great diverse truck
By gnat1 on 03/06/12 22:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love my F150. I bought it at 18000 miles and now have 73000 miles on it with no troubles. I pull a horse trailer with it and drive it to work, it is my "everything" vehicle. Other then changing my oil, and brakes, I haven't had to do any repairs of any kind. Tows excellent with my horse trailer which probably reaches up to 5500 ibs. I have towed up steep grades when we go horse camping up in the mountains. Handles excellently. i would definately recommend this vehicle if you want a reliable, tough, and well designed truck. Only downfall is I don't car for where the "oh Sh@#" handles are in the interior. They are placed to far forward.