Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great truck! Poor MPG.
By greerdavidj

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 3 years now. I really enjoy how the cab just fits. I love having 7 cupholders within reach from the driver's seat. The vents look nice and are very easy to adjust without breaking. The power is good on this truck for what I need (pulling trailers, pulling out trees with a chain, squalling tires to be a show-off, accelerating, etc.). The back seat is fairly comfortable. We really enjoy the small supercab windows. They're perfect for our two dogs to put their heads out of. My biggest complaint would be the gas mileage. They say, "It's a truck! What do you expect?!" Mine gets 14 at best on the highway and 10-11mpg in the city. Doesn't touch the EPA 13/17.

Back doors are functional. Plethora of cup holders and other storage areas in the cab. Comfortable seating Great looks. Having the power to do what I need. Easy to see out of (my wife and I both can see well out of it.) It's been mechanically sound for the three years we've owned it. Handles well in the snow.

I've had both front windows break with $200+ repairs for each. That was frustrating. MPG please - At least have the EPA estimates come close so buyers know what they're signing up for. Some interior build issues. My driver's seat has developed a hole where I get in and out. That's pretty crummy. I'm 190lbs, which is heavy, but really? The center console is coming apart. Stain free seats? Ha! Perhaps that's a minivan feature to come!

Worst Ford I have Owned.
By bestbrewmaster

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At 45000 I needed a Rear Diff. under warranty and at 75000 I needed a new Rear Diff again. 4x4 has not worked since 70000 miles and they don't even know what it is and have not been able to fix it they think it electrical. Transmission slips all the time since around 35000 miles and they say that is normal. I currently have 98000 miles on it and I now have a P00012a error (cam shaft timing) and apparently now I need a new engine. I would never buy one of these as they are Not Ford Tough...

I think the dash looks nice, other than that my wife hates the seats and thinks they are very uncomfortable.

Maybe if they keep practicing they will make a good vehicle some time.

Strong running truck
By fordfan95

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

truck is now over 11 years old, and is still running strong with 84,000 miles on it. truck tends to be problematic in the large 5.4 version with cam phasers and broken spark plugs, however the 4.6 does not suffer from these problems. this past winter we have had more snow and more colder days than in decades, and having it sit in below zero weather for 3 days straight, it cranks first start without missing a beat. parts are EXTREMELY cheap being as the 4.6 is the most common fleet vehicle engine, so parts are easily accessible and readily available. the body and frame are extremely durable and after 11 years in the heart of the salt belt, its completely rust free.

the looks and driving characteristics. after 11 years of new york pot holes, nothing rattles of squeaks when you hit bumps. just a well built interior.

brake lines are all specially coated black film from the factory that are essentially thin hard rubber insulation around the lines that have kept them rust free and spotless unlike the 04-07 silverado brake lines that rust into the abs unit. however ford should use the same treatment process on there power steering line in direct cotact with road debris, salt and road brime that tends to rust them. however its only a 13$ part and extremely easy to change.

Worst Ford I ever owned
By kinnstreet

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have only 90 on this after buying it fresh off the showroom floor. I can't believe that Ford would allow such a mess. So many things have gone wrong and cost me money on a brand new truck even before 70k miles I can't even begin to list them all, however the other reviews pretty much say it all. My father and I have owned Ford trucks our whole lives.... My next truck will be a RAM, and my son will also be buying either RAM or foreign. Way to go Ford, you broke a family tradition of over 50 years of owning Ford Trucks.

It was decent in snow and rain with good stability, but this truck, is a pos.

So many cheap parts used on this that broke before 70k it would be hard to know where to begin.

best and worst truck i ever owned
By marknkim444

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

04 f150 5.4 i love the looks of this truck. i love the drive and comfort of this truck, unfortunately i will probably never ever buy a ford again. This truck will cost you a fortune to keep\. first of all everything on this motor will tick or clack at some point. the cam phasers will without a doubt cost you 1800 to fix once or twice. Thank heavens they are 100000 mile spark plugs because they will cost you a min. of 800 to change. Ford will not even think about helping you with all the ticking until your factory or aftermarket warranty runs out.This was my fourth and last ford.