2004 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
best and worst truck i ever owned
By marknkim444 on 05/08/14 12:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

04 f150 5.4 i love the looks of this truck. i love the drive and comfort of this truck, unfortunately i will probably never ever buy a ford again. This truck will cost you a fortune to keep\. first of all everything on this motor will tick or clack at some point. the cam phasers will without a doubt cost you 1800 to fix once or twice. Thank heavens they are 100000 mile spark plugs because they will cost you a min. of 800 to change. Ford will not even think about helping you with all the ticking until your factory or aftermarket warranty runs out.This was my fourth and last ford.

Worst truck I have ever owned
By bestbrewmaster on 04/15/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I still own the piece and have 92000 miles one it. By the time I had 55000 miles on it I was on my 3rd Rear Differential. I have never driven it off road. and I'm an older gentleman. I have replaced the 4x4 actuators 5 times. The truck sounds like a diesel truck and clicks all the time. Ford Said that was normal of course the said that when it was in warranty and now they say I need new engine. Junk Junk Junk

Drive it like you stole it
By natureschild88 on 07/02/13 11:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Simply put: best vehicle I have ever owned. I bought my '04 FX4 with 50k miles. After owning for 5 years, I sold it with 174k miles on it. Every mile was hard driven. I have a heavy foot, like to floor it, frequently jump curbs with it, drive it like I stole it. Towed a 19' boat from San Diego to Lake Havasu and back on multiple occasions. Previous owner replaced the transmission: he was towing a 26' cabin cruiser with it - something you need an f250 for. Only thing I did was replace alternator and serp belt. Oil changes every 5-7k miles with MobilOne 5-20 full synthetic. I sold the truck to buy a newer model. At 174k miles, excellent resale value. Felt like crying the next day. Best truck.

mixed feelings
By telcom48 on 01/29/13 20:21 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 F-150 supercab 4x4 lariat on black fiday 2005 with 45,000 miles already on it. This is basically my first truck. This is heavily optioned with everything you could get or want. With the automatic on the floor, I thought the interior was just the coolest. Needless to say, the looks and styling got me. I currently have just under 185,000 miles on the truck. I fully expect to get 300,000 miles or more before i get a new truck. Here is where the mixed feelings come in. I have spent an average of $1500 a year maintaining this truck! My recommendation is this... Do NOT buy the first model year of ANY vehicle when there has been a COMPLETE redesign. Wait until the bugs are out.

My 5th Ford Truck
By hambone33 on 04/27/12 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my first Ford Truck in 1990 and have owned nothing but Fords since then but I am about to try another brand after this 2004 F-150. One of the over the plug coil melted down - twice. The second time leaving me stranded on vacation. THe dealer in Redding CA stuck it to me on the price of repair. The rear axle seal started leaking. Replaced both axles as they had a ring worn around them by the seals. 30K mi. later same thing and had to replace axle and seal. Leaked again, back to dealer 3 times. Still leaks and they say I need whole new rearend. Still driving it but going to sell and buy a 2013 RAM.

Low maintence reliability-great diverse truck
By gnat1 on 03/06/12 22:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love my F150. I bought it at 18000 miles and now have 73000 miles on it with no troubles. I pull a horse trailer with it and drive it to work, it is my "everything" vehicle. Other then changing my oil, and brakes, I haven't had to do any repairs of any kind. Tows excellent with my horse trailer which probably reaches up to 5500 ibs. I have towed up steep grades when we go horse camping up in the mountains. Handles excellently. i would definately recommend this vehicle if you want a reliable, tough, and well designed truck. Only downfall is I don't car for where the "oh Sh@#" handles are in the interior. They are placed to far forward.

Love this truck but you will have issues along the way.
By bigbertha on 03/01/12 14:45 PM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is a wonderful truck to own. It looks good drives good and is dependable. However, expect one if not all of the window regulators to go out. Ford used cheap plastic parts so the gear will go bad eventually. Second, the spark plugs for 04-08 models were designed poorly and get seized into the heads. Expect a bill of anywhere from 800-2000 to replace them as Ford charges by hour to remove them because they break off. Last, the timing gears are plastic and break and result in thousands of dollars in repairs. VCT Solenoid & cam phasers also go bad. Google all the known issues with this truck first. These are the major ones to expect. If you're able to work through them it's a good truck.

Best truck I've owned
By fobserver on 12/12/11 11:05 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Dodge trucks over the years. This is the first Ford truck I've owned. Bought it used with 97K miles. Only owned it for 3 months now, but I believe it's the best built pickup I've ever owned. I do have some concerns however. A tear appeared out of no where in the drivers seat, there is a whizzing/scraping sound coming from the right front (possibly brake issues). And the cam phaser knock that is common for these engines. Also the 4x4 will go into 4HI with no problem, but you have to mess with it to get it to go into 4LO, and then you have to mess with it some more to get it to come back out of 4LO. Have not towed with it yet, but I'm sure it's great at that.

Ford F-150 Window Regulators
By kraftypam on 08/28/11 14:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my Ford since I purchased it new in 08/05 for the most part. However, I am completely frustrated with Ford's response to my complaints about what obviously is a flaw in the window regulators that were installed in this year and make. I have replaced all 4 regulators/front and rear and Ford has accepted no responsibility. (replaced 2 in 2008, 1 in 2009, and 1 in 2011) After searching the internet for similar complaints it appears the problem with the 2004 Ford F150 Supercrew is wide spread and Ford will do nothing. $2000 in window repairs later, I will now consider a Chevy as my next truck purchase. Ford has let me down by not standing behind their product and manufacturing.

Great Truck
By floridafordleo on 12/14/10 06:57 AM (PST)

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck in January 2004 when there weren't many on the road. 120,000 miles later and the only two things on the entire truck that have broke was the passenger side window motor and the grommet on the center shift linkage. Unbelievable low maintenance truck. Been using mobile one full synthetic oil since it was a baby and Fram filters. Two sets of brakes and 3 sets of tires later the truck is perfect. Everything in the truck still works even those back up sensors. Put a leveling kit on it when it was new and thats it. Great truck, not looking forward to changing the plugs though, that maybe a big problem due to the issue with the 5.4 and the spark plugs breaking off.