Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Most Helpful|
Great truck! Poor MPG.
By greerdavidj

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 3 years now. I really enjoy how the cab just fits. I love having 7 cupholders within reach from the driver's seat. The vents look nice and are very easy to adjust without breaking. The power is good on this truck for what I need (pulling trailers, pulling out trees with a chain, squalling tires to be a show-off, accelerating, etc.). The back seat is fairly comfortable. We really enjoy the small supercab windows. They're perfect for our two dogs to put their heads out of. My biggest complaint would be the gas mileage. They say, "It's a truck! What do you expect?!" Mine gets 14 at best on the highway and 10-11mpg in the city. Doesn't touch the EPA 13/17.

Favorite Features

Back doors are functional. Plethora of cup holders and other storage areas in the cab. Comfortable seating Great looks. Having the power to do what I need. Easy to see out of (my wife and I both can see well out of it.) It's been mechanically sound for the three years we've owned it. Handles well in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

I've had both front windows break with $200+ repairs for each. That was frustrating. MPG please - At least have the EPA estimates come close so buyers know what they're signing up for. Some interior build issues. My driver's seat has developed a hole where I get in and out. That's pretty crummy. I'm 190lbs, which is heavy, but really? The center console is coming apart. Stain free seats? Ha! Perhaps that's a minivan feature to come!

Worst Ford I have Owned.
By bestbrewmaster

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab FX4 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

At 45000 I needed a Rear Diff. under warranty and at 75000 I needed a new Rear Diff again. 4x4 has not worked since 70000 miles and they don't even know what it is and have not been able to fix it they think it electrical. Transmission slips all the time since around 35000 miles and they say that is normal. I currently have 98000 miles on it and I now have a P00012a error (cam shaft timing) and apparently now I need a new engine. I would never buy one of these as they are Not Ford Tough...

Favorite Features

I think the dash looks nice, other than that my wife hates the seats and thinks they are very uncomfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe if they keep practicing they will make a good vehicle some time.

Third Brake Light
By sparky357

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I need to replace the gasket in the third brake assembly and Cannot buy just the gasket.Ford sells only the entire light assembly ($65.00)for maybe a $5.00 gasket. If you change the bulbs you need to change the gasket. In my case it leaked inside and now the back sliding window doesn't work. Their way of thinking I would need to just buy a whole new truck. This is my last ford. Never again and I have owned fords for fifty years.

Favorite Features

seats

Suggested Improvements

Make consumable parts available at a reasonable price. Don't put screws that can leak on top of the truck.

Low maintence reliability-great diverse truck
By gnat1

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love my F150. I bought it at 18000 miles and now have 73000 miles on it with no troubles. I pull a horse trailer with it and drive it to work, it is my "everything" vehicle. Other then changing my oil, and brakes, I haven't had to do any repairs of any kind. Tows excellent with my horse trailer which probably reaches up to 5500 ibs. I have towed up steep grades when we go horse camping up in the mountains. Handles excellently. i would definately recommend this vehicle if you want a reliable, tough, and well designed truck. Only downfall is I don't car for where the "oh Sh@#" handles are in the interior. They are placed to far forward.

Favorite Features

tow package, exterior styling, interior room in the regular cab. Extra space in back great for groceries or even snowboards.

Suggested Improvements

Move the interior handles to right above the door instead of in front .

Ford F-150 Window Regulators
By kraftypam

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my Ford since I purchased it new in 08/05 for the most part. However, I am completely frustrated with Ford's response to my complaints about what obviously is a flaw in the window regulators that were installed in this year and make. I have replaced all 4 regulators/front and rear and Ford has accepted no responsibility. (replaced 2 in 2008, 1 in 2009, and 1 in 2011) After searching the internet for similar complaints it appears the problem with the 2004 Ford F150 Supercrew is wide spread and Ford will do nothing. $2000 in window repairs later, I will now consider a Chevy as my next truck purchase. Ford has let me down by not standing behind their product and manufacturing.

Favorite Features

I have less than 60,000 miles to date and other than the windows the truck has been trouble-free.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to stand behind their manufacturing and parts.