2003 Ford F-150 Consumer Review: Latest update after the first

2003 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

2003 Ford F-150

XLT SuperCab (4.6L V8 4x4 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed)

Latest update after the first "problem" cropped up
By smoo4asw on

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck still, despite the fact that the check engine light came on after an oil change. The reason why it came on is because the people at the oil change place were a tiny bit too rough with our air filter, and so as a result it wasn't sealing tightly. Efforts to fix it only made it worse until we returned it to the way it should have been and lo and behold, the check engine light has been off for over double the amount of driving cycles needed to reset the system and if it was still an issue have the check engine light return. Based on how easy it was once we did it right, I can't even complain about it having an issue.

Even when the check engine light comes on, it's not apt like an EcoBoost replacement to sit there and throw up a code that means major engine work is needed unless major engine work is actually needed. And when it is, it's easy to diagnose. That feature is so critical I bought it Ford Motorcraft Platinum spark plugs because it made my job of getting it running so much easier. There's nothing I dislike, because it's issues are plain and simple when they do occur, and the truck is awesome when they're not occurring.

Make Ford re-run their 2003 vintage Ford truck commercials and scrap this EcoBoost junk they're putting in the new models. This F-150 is easy to diagnose compared to our 1994 Ranger or a new 2011 or later EcoBoost model once the engine has been stressed at all. If use on the new models is abuse, I'd rather buy the old models-oh wait, I already did. So I guess you just have to scrap the EcoBoost junk and go back to proven engine designs, even if they're less fuel efficient.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review