2003 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Great Truck, Tons of Room
By Big Mech on 07/05/05 21:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

After having a 1994 Ranger STX, I'm hooked on having a pickup, but needed something I could fit the expanding family in. The Super Crew fit the bill perfectly. I'm 6'6" and this a very comfortable for me. It's great for the snow here in New England, and is easy to drive considering how big it is. The 5.4L has more than enough power to get this truck around. We have had it for 2 years with no problems, and the gas mileage is better than expected, as it's no worse than my Ranger which had the 4.0L V6

Nearly Perfect Sport Truck
By Jim on 06/29/05 04:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning Rwd Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

This truck can best be described as Ford's rendition of a Corvette with a pickup bed. Eyeball-flattening acceleration, sports car handling, and the ability to carry a half ton of stuff in the back. My only two complaints are the lack of a manual transmission (although it does have the best automatic I've experienced) and the gas mileage: 14 MPG on the mandatory premium fuel. Ouch! But that's the price you pay for this much fun and utility in one good-looking package.

Still the King! Wake yours up!
By don wells on 06/25/05 15:29 PM (PDT)

This is my 2nd Lightning, my first was a 2000 model. Don't leave it stock for another day! As soon as you put a cold air intake and chip it, maybe change the exhaust, you realize how restricted they come from Ford. You gain at least a 1-2 second increase in the 1/4 mile, and since Ford sells those same mods, it won't even void your warranty. They are quiet, comfortable, handle well,and still tow 5k lbs! You can outrun the $50k Dodge truck for about $2000-$2500 in mods, and still be $20k ahead. And the SRT- 10 can't even be used as a truck! My first one went over 40k with NO mechanical problems - the huge Dodges, like Vipers, have many. When you feel that 550+ lb/ft of torque you know who rules.

Very Nice Truck
By TommyBoy on 05/30/05 00:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is by far the most reliable of them yet. Maybe after a few years then new F-150's will bypass the milestone Ford has set for the reliability of its F-150 models.

Great Trucks / Built Great
By Perry Panousis on 04/22/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned nothing but Land cruisers and Mercedes and this is the first pickup I have ever owned. I bought this FX4 for my business which required a 4x4 pickup and at first I was a bit nervous about buying an American vehicle due to all my friends having problems with theirs, but I have got to say that I LOVE THIS TRUCK! I sold my new E Class Mercedes and now I drive this truck everywhere and the 4x4 is awesome!. Ford really does make great trucks....I LOVE THIS TRUCK! PS: Great on the gas for being a truck and I think it is awesome how Ford's manual transmission requires only regular gasoline. I think I am going to go and buy a ranch now. Thanks Ford!

Typical Ford Truck
By Greg on 03/17/05 15:32 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew King Ranch Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I rated the mileage at a 7, but honestly it is on par for the type vehicle it is. But it is costly for just running around town. It has been on several long trips with 4 and luggage and actually performs well on the road. Super low end torque for trailer towing. Rides smoother than most cars and handles pretty good as well.

Not what I expected
By Joe on 03/13/05 19:35 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I had the truck back to the dealer 5 times for the rear and transmission making noise. They could never duplicate it; the last time I took the mechanic out and we had to get towed back. They finally fixed it but I should have gone with a Tundra.

Can't beat a tough truck.
By fordfan on 03/11/05 12:48 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has given me nothing but pleasure while driving. I've put on over 10,000 miles, and have no regrets over my purchase. The heated seats are great on a cold morning, and the 4WD can help me pull through a soggy field without getting stuck. Not to mention the 5.4L motor can really haul. This truck also cleans up nice for when it's time to hang out and go downtown. Overall a great truck, at what I feel is a great price.

7700 package 5.4liter 4x4
By 037700XL on 02/10/05 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Seats uncomfortable on long hauls. Front of bucket seat too high for me. Click on acceleration, maybe u-joints. 4WD floor shift works, but sometimes have to drive a fair distance to engage; once it wouldn't till put into 4low, then clunked into 4x4. CD/radio went completely dead for 2 hour highway drive then came back on and hasn't done it since. Surprisingly smooth ride considering heavy duty package.

the truck
By nat on 02/07/05 15:15 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew King Ranch 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned two F150's and six Fords total; this truck has been so far the best vehicle I've owned. Ford has a winner with the King Ranch and they know it.