Used 2003 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning SVT Lightning Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

SVT Lightning 5.4L V8 Supercharger 4-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed - (33 reviews )

One Awesome Truck!
By tearex63

2003 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning Rwd Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this truck in December 2012 with 54K miles on it. The truck had already been modified with an oversized blower drive pulley, tuner, cold air package & Bassani exhaust. I had the truck dyno tested and it pulled 383 HP at the rear wheels. Needless to say, this truck is WICKED fast. Random people come up to me and compliment me on how cool it is. I love the sound of the blower coming on and the fact that I can light the tires any time I feel like it. Starts and runs just like a regular truck, great exhaust tone & instant throttle response. Only bad thing is the 10 MPG around town, but what the heck, I've got motorcycles & junky cars to drive to work.

Favorite Features

Fast! Reliable & comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is perfect in every way

03 Lightning = Great Buy
By George

Year 3 of owning my Lightning. It is daily driven for most of the year. She gets into the occasional 'spirited acceleration' now and then. Picked it up with 25k on the clock, now have 73k. I take good care of it, pretty much looks and runs the same as the day I got it. Only issue Ive ever had was the starter going around 50k. Beyond that plenty of tires (my fault haha), and recently rotors and pads. Most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned!

Favorite Features

Power power power. Imposing appearance (i.e. GET OUT OF MY WAY). Surprisingly enough, I noticed this hot rod had a truck bed in the back. Wow! I can put stuff in it!

Suggested Improvements

Factory tonneau would be nice, not as an option (SRT-10 anyone?). Rear bumper, which is usually chromed on most F150s, is not paint primed on the Lightning and other models with colored-keyed bumpers. That means its quick to chip.

Great Truck
By autenb

This truck is the most fun and practical vehicle I've ever owned. Not only is it the fastest truck on the road, but it can also tow or haul nearly anything. Only drawback is lots of high octane fuel.

Favorite Features

Supercharger, wide 18" wheels, dark shadow grey, 380 stock HP

Suggested Improvements

IRS, 1.5-2" Lower, 19" or 20" wheels. Upgrade to Kenne Bell SC as factory option. Factory boost guage with a higher scale so you don't have to go aftermarket. Some kind of anti-knapp material on the suade seats where you get in the truck.

Love My Lightning
By 03LightningRocks

There is something special about driving a pickup truck that can run off from most of the fast cars on the road. I love the reactions I get when people driving cars that have been sold to them as fast, witness my farm vehicle leaving them in the dust.

Favorite Features

Supercharger

Suggested Improvements

Bigger supercharger

Nearly Perfect Sport Truck
By Jim

This truck can best be described as Ford's rendition of a Corvette with a pickup bed. Eyeball-flattening acceleration, sports car handling, and the ability to carry a half ton of stuff in the back. My only two complaints are the lack of a manual transmission (although it does have the best automatic I've experienced) and the gas mileage: 14 MPG on the mandatory premium fuel. Ouch! But that's the price you pay for this much fun and utility in one good-looking package.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, supercharger scream, crisp and responsive automatic transmission, styling and utility.

Suggested Improvements

More torque is always welcome, as is the availability of a manual transmission. A sound system with more wattage and a subwoofer would be nice (although the stock system isn't bad). And a slightly louder exhaust, believe it or not.