Used 2003 Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck - Zero Problems
By Big D

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new for my son for school and work. He has over 140,000 miles on it now and not a single trip to the Service Dept except to change the fluids. Has exceeded all expectations. When they say Built Ford Tough, its true!

Durability. Ease if driving.

For the price and durability, can think of any.

Outstanding
By John Larson

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

The pickup is solid. Every time I hit a chuck hole I wait for a rattle or vibration. There are none. I get precisely 20 mpg on the road. That's good. The seating positions me on top of the road. Almost like driving a cab-over. It has never been back to the shop in 20,500 miles for even a minor adjustment. It is the best pickup I have ever own. Previously I drove Chevrolet and GMC. They are no comparison. I had too many glitches with them. None with Ford.

Economy, reliability, build solid.

None.

Reliable, quick, and looks good
By Cbjulian

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a 2003 XL Sport with with all the options that come on an XL. The 5- spd mated to the 4.2 makes a good combo. The truck is surprisingly quick and handles well for a pickup. The ride leaves somthing to be desired but isnt bad on the highway. The truck has been very reliable with no problems. Ford has stuck by their warranty and my dealership was great.

5-spd, reliability, towing capacity (Pulled a 5000lb truck 150 miles through hills with no problem at all)

ride is too stiff and bouncy, could be tires more than anything

Basic Truck
By nomad62

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck mainly to commute to work, with the occasional bed hauling duty in mind. I was surprised to see that the truck would actually get 20 mpg if I watched the right foot. It is the 4.2 liter six so it does not have the oomph of the V8's Ford offers but for my use the 6 is more than adequate. The tranny shifts smoothly and operates seamlessly. I recently drove from Houston, TX to Salem, OR in 3 days and was surprised at the trucks willingness to provide comfort and considerable control over all road surfaces as very little of the trip was taken on the interstate. I am pleased with this truck and would gladly buy it all over again.

Flareside styling, especially the transition from fenders to rear bumper.The fold down center console. The extra room behind the seats.