2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Great MPG, Reliable, lousy engineering
By piercejs4 on 12/21/12 16:49 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

The truck has not left me stranded. It's loud on the inside and something is always rattling, but it gets from A to B with 20 mpg. If you want to keep the check engine light off in this truck, it is going to be expensive. I am a DIY mechanic, which helps. The transmission isn't great for towing, but I knew that when I bought it. So far I have 85000 miles on the truck.

Great Truck - Zero Problems
By Big D on 04/12/09 11:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new for my son for school and work. He has over 140,000 miles on it now and not a single trip to the Service Dept except to change the fluids. Has exceeded all expectations. When they say Built Ford Tough, its true!

Great Truck
By Many Klatch on 10/01/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

My 6 cylinder F-150 has been a real workhorse. My last couple of Ford Rangers lasted 150,000 miles before I traded them in and the F-150 seems to be on the same track. I get 22 mpg in mixed city and hiway driving with the manual 5 speed if I keep my foot off the gas. The 6 cylinder has all the power I need to haul lots of weight on those occasions when I need to haul 1,500 pounds. I had to replace a broken overload spring and upgraded to a heavier set to handle the weight. The engine didn't have a problem with a full load. The acid test was that the engine hauled all that weight over the Pennsylvania Turnpike in cruise control with very few problems.

Favorite vehicle ever!
By Doug on 04/20/06 06:07 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck mainly because of the looks and the deal I got. I couldn't be happier. Never a problem with it! Oh, the looks I get. I love the FX4 package. 4X4 works perfectly. Never been stuck in mud or snow. Takes off great and the brakes are the best. The best vehicle I ever had! I will never get rid of it, unless totaled. Then I'll have to get another one.

Poor Man's Lightning
By Bodenis on 11/30/05 18:52 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the truck mainly because of the body style and price. I wanted a inexpensive truck that still looked good. I have owned two Rangers and a 2001 SuperCrew and this truck is as nice as those were. This is the same body style as the SVT Lightning and I have lowered it and had the windows tinted and added 18 inch chrome wheels. It is a very sharp looking truck and and after being lowered handles great and is still functional as a daily driver and part time hauler. Cassette player was replaced with a CD unit so the only upgrade needed now is a dual exhaust and cold air intake. Rides great, looks good, didn't cost an arm and a leg; what more could you ask for!

Outstanding
By John Larson on 07/27/05 15:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

The pickup is solid. Every time I hit a chuck hole I wait for a rattle or vibration. There are none. I get precisely 20 mpg on the road. That's good. The seating positions me on top of the road. Almost like driving a cab-over. It has never been back to the shop in 20,500 miles for even a minor adjustment. It is the best pickup I have ever own. Previously I drove Chevrolet and GMC. They are no comparison. I had too many glitches with them. None with Ford.

7700 package 5.4liter 4x4
By 037700XL on 02/10/05 18:58 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Seats uncomfortable on long hauls. Front of bucket seat too high for me. Click on acceleration, maybe u-joints. 4WD floor shift works, but sometimes have to drive a fair distance to engage; once it wouldn't till put into 4low, then clunked into 4x4. CD/radio went completely dead for 2 hour highway drive then came back on and hasn't done it since. Surprisingly smooth ride considering heavy duty package.

Simple but pure truck...
By JMA on 10/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, head turning, responsive, extremely reliable, muscular build and all at an inexpensive price. I added a low profile LeBra tonneau bed cover which made it look even sharper and improved gas mileage. This is my 5th new F150. I actually like it better than the '99 extended cab XLT short box that I traded in on this one. JUST PURE FUN!!

Reliable, quick, and looks good
By Cbjulian on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a 2003 XL Sport with with all the options that come on an XL. The 5- spd mated to the 4.2 makes a good combo. The truck is surprisingly quick and handles well for a pickup. The ride leaves somthing to be desired but isnt bad on the highway. The truck has been very reliable with no problems. Ford has stuck by their warranty and my dealership was great.

Basic Truck
By nomad62 on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL Rwd Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck mainly to commute to work, with the occasional bed hauling duty in mind. I was surprised to see that the truck would actually get 20 mpg if I watched the right foot. It is the 4.2 liter six so it does not have the oomph of the V8's Ford offers but for my use the 6 is more than adequate. The tranny shifts smoothly and operates seamlessly. I recently drove from Houston, TX to Salem, OR in 3 days and was surprised at the trucks willingness to provide comfort and considerable control over all road surfaces as very little of the trip was taken on the interstate. I am pleased with this truck and would gladly buy it all over again.