2003 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
The next pivotal moment came and went!
By smoo4asw on 05/30/14 12:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We had to get the F-150 emissions tested to get our tag and it sailed through the emissions test like butter after we sat there and just bought regular maintenance items (albeit several of them.) If you can have a truck, that it's a full size if entry level truck, and it can blow away everything except it's 1994 Ford Ranger companion (at least comparing main to second vehicles), that's proof of how tough Ford built it (unless of course you want to regularly change vehicles, but then again we're incredibly risk-averse, so we're not going to push a desire we don't even have.) I love this Ford F-150 and I love my Ranger and unless I have to let go of one of them I will not, and that's it!

Final Update Until Next Pivotal Moment
By smoo4asw on 05/14/14 17:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

In my previous reviews, I didn't get to emphasize how much the 2003 Ford F-150 was a good value for money, because even though a lot of wear items went bad at once, the fact that once we got them done it's back to running like it was when we got it if not better, and for $6581 out the door (granted the previous owner had kept the second coded key and the key fobs, but they later got replaced) means that the truck had everything we wanted and just by taking care of it its back to taking care of us. I would like to say that if you keep a vehicle long enough, you're going to have to replace various components. If you like the vehicle well enough, you will find it worthwhile, if not, oh well.

Frustrated that certain things are hard to get to, but!
By smoo4asw on 05/02/14 18:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The but is when you fix all the issues that were piling up it sits there and is about to stand up and tap dance for you-and on regular gas if you can choose a standard, non-supercharged V8 (if you must have the most power, you have to spend more money.) Turns out after doing routine maintenance and tightening the suddenly very loose air intake mechanism together it's back happy and as long as that is the case, the idiot light should go off once we reset it-could finally tell that we had a vacuum leak but couldn't tell where it was coming from, and the spark plugs had never been replaced. It's running like a top now, in every way. We're stuck with it now.

Latest update after the first "problem" cropped up
By smoo4asw on 04/19/14 16:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck still, despite the fact that the check engine light came on after an oil change. The reason why it came on is because the people at the oil change place were a tiny bit too rough with our air filter, and so as a result it wasn't sealing tightly. Efforts to fix it only made it worse until we returned it to the way it should have been and lo and behold, the check engine light has been off for over double the amount of driving cycles needed to reset the system and if it was still an issue have the check engine light return. Based on how easy it was once we did it right, I can't even complain about it having an issue.

Update to an earlier review
By smoo4arp on 01/08/14 17:47 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

During the polar vortex-initiated temperature drop, we had to take someone who desperately needed protection from the cold (since he was about 7 and a half miles away from work and he was going to have to drive through ice-specifically the nasty black stuff.) With a far from top flight battery and less than a quarter of a tank of gas, it sailed through taking our friend to work and getting us back home and all the features worked from the air bags to the radio, overhead, and odometer displays-it was a sight to see. The Chrysler van we could have had to settle for was having problems in 50 degree rain, but this truck just works, even in the 0s. (Granted, it was sunny, but c'mon now.)

It supplemented an older Ranger and allows the Ranger to rest!
By smoo4arp on 10/31/13 07:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We got the 4 speed automatic version of the XLT supercab Flareside short bed, and it's everything I could want in a truck. I'd rather sink $40,000 into keeping this one than buying a new one, and I showed that by buying it all the little things I could, since it came with all the big things. It may have paint chipping, and a smudge where someone parked too close, but I've been able to make three trips to Nashville, a trip to Atlanta, drive all around town, and I don't envy anyone's new car anymore-but then again the more fancy stuff you have, the less likely it is to work. The SuperCab having hidden doors is out of sight, and the remote entry system is awesome! Best Truck Ever!

Will keep it forever
By jfx4 on 01/16/10 06:23 AM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

FX4 model. Great truck. Had it since new. Now have 142,000 miles on it and still running strong. Only routine maintenance done. We tow horses regularly with it and no problems. Truck is paid for and I will keep it til I run it into the ground. Only thing I would have preferred are captains seats, not the 60/40 bench that I have.

203 Super Crew Overview
By Jack Benton on 06/02/07 13:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Body style and interior are great design. At 35K I had rust on the underside of all four doors (something to look out for if purchasing one). Dealer repaired but concern is still there. P/U sleeps inside a garage nightly. With today's technology I did not expect this.

Not what I expected
By Joe on 03/13/05 19:35 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I had the truck back to the dealer 5 times for the rear and transmission making noise. They could never duplicate it; the last time I took the mechanic out and we had to get towed back. They finally fixed it but I should have gone with a Tundra.

Bestest Truck
By Mike on 01/13/05 19:28 PM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Recently bought this truck used. My first BIG TRUCK. Also my first V8. Awesome power added with the 4X4 and you have a powerful truck that can do just about anything you may ask it to. You can't go wrong with the best built truck on the market. I recently slid on some ice and hit a guardrail going about 35mph and I was not hurt at all and the truck only had some fender damage (and the airbags work!). FORD TOUGH is right on - probably saved me from being hurt.