2003 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
My f 150
By bigleo on 10/26/14 08:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck . Bought it used with 158k on it . Previous owner was meticulous with it . Amsoil and filter oil changed every 7k miles . Interior is roomy and comfortable . Design is blah , very plain . Like GM and Dodge cockpits better . Have an Slt Lariat Crew cab . have a KN cold air intake ( installed by previous owner ) but I am troubled by the gas mileage . I drive about 70 mph on the highway with cruise constantly . I am only getting 14 and change per gallon . Whats going on . Previous owner swears he was getting 15-18 depending on howhe drove. I do not get into the gas and rarely go over 2k on the tach . Any suggestions ?have the 5.4

Update after the end of summer
By smoo4asw on 10/16/14 12:23 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We are still loving our F-150, so much we paid the money to get a second ignition key programmed and we also committed to buying 4 new tires and updating the spare tire. Suffice it to say we spent $600 on new tires and we're now stuck with it, which is all the better since we are really fond of it. My son gets very stressed when I take the F-150 to work and leave him with the 20 year old (and with us for all that time) Ranger, which is a bit disconcerting. But that's what you have to accept in order for him to be happy.

I went back to my doctor in Nashville and...
By smoo4asw on 07/04/14 12:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

...it went so smoothly, it was like butter, I had options for advanced technology (for the era) to use it in the truck and I just settled for listening to music on the iPod video that is vintage (almost as vintage in portable device years as the F-150 is in vehicle years) and I didn't want any more features than what the F-150 had on tap. I guess I'm not a car connoisseur like I should be, because I don't want features that require monthly expenses to cellular companies. That's really all the high-technology is, just another way for cell phone companies to get riches from you by expecting you to pay for "convenience". I can tell convenience no, you should try it too. Still so very pleased!

Chevy can't win even the family vehicle race
By smoo4asw on 06/10/14 16:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got to look inside a neighbor's 2008 Chevrolet Uplander LS and aside from having a beefy V6 engine, it seemed to be skimpy on everything else. It's like the GM engineers spent so much of their recycled design budget on giving it more power and neglecting what would make you want a van from 2006 and later-namely options like navigation, DVD playing, high-end stereo systems, even a supposedly crucial safety feature like OnStar unless you buy a $40,000+ model. My F-150 cost much less (both brand new and when we bought it) and has everything I could possibly ask for. That's a pivotal moment to me.

The next pivotal moment came and went!
By smoo4asw on 05/30/14 12:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We had to get the F-150 emissions tested to get our tag and it sailed through the emissions test like butter after we sat there and just bought regular maintenance items (albeit several of them.) If you can have a truck, that it's a full size if entry level truck, and it can blow away everything except it's 1994 Ford Ranger companion (at least comparing main to second vehicles), that's proof of how tough Ford built it (unless of course you want to regularly change vehicles, but then again we're incredibly risk-averse, so we're not going to push a desire we don't even have.) I love this Ford F-150 and I love my Ranger and unless I have to let go of one of them I will not, and that's it!

One Awesome Truck!
By tearex63 on 05/27/14 07:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning Rwd Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this truck in December 2012 with 54K miles on it. The truck had already been modified with an oversized blower drive pulley, tuner, cold air package & Bassani exhaust. I had the truck dyno tested and it pulled 383 HP at the rear wheels. Needless to say, this truck is WICKED fast. Random people come up to me and compliment me on how cool it is. I love the sound of the blower coming on and the fact that I can light the tires any time I feel like it. Starts and runs just like a regular truck, great exhaust tone & instant throttle response. Only bad thing is the 10 MPG around town, but what the heck, I've got motorcycles & junky cars to drive to work.

Final Update Until Next Pivotal Moment
By smoo4asw on 05/14/14 17:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

In my previous reviews, I didn't get to emphasize how much the 2003 Ford F-150 was a good value for money, because even though a lot of wear items went bad at once, the fact that once we got them done it's back to running like it was when we got it if not better, and for $6581 out the door (granted the previous owner had kept the second coded key and the key fobs, but they later got replaced) means that the truck had everything we wanted and just by taking care of it its back to taking care of us. I would like to say that if you keep a vehicle long enough, you're going to have to replace various components. If you like the vehicle well enough, you will find it worthwhile, if not, oh well.

Frustrated that certain things are hard to get to, but!
By smoo4asw on 05/02/14 18:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The but is when you fix all the issues that were piling up it sits there and is about to stand up and tap dance for you-and on regular gas if you can choose a standard, non-supercharged V8 (if you must have the most power, you have to spend more money.) Turns out after doing routine maintenance and tightening the suddenly very loose air intake mechanism together it's back happy and as long as that is the case, the idiot light should go off once we reset it-could finally tell that we had a vacuum leak but couldn't tell where it was coming from, and the spark plugs had never been replaced. It's running like a top now, in every way. We're stuck with it now.

Latest update after the first "problem" cropped up
By smoo4asw on 04/19/14 16:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck still, despite the fact that the check engine light came on after an oil change. The reason why it came on is because the people at the oil change place were a tiny bit too rough with our air filter, and so as a result it wasn't sealing tightly. Efforts to fix it only made it worse until we returned it to the way it should have been and lo and behold, the check engine light has been off for over double the amount of driving cycles needed to reset the system and if it was still an issue have the check engine light return. Based on how easy it was once we did it right, I can't even complain about it having an issue.

Great trucks
By nlambert182 on 02/05/14 09:08 AM (PST)

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I dont know why I can't choose the 5.4L engine as an option but it's what mine came with. I've owned a lot of these trucks and you just cannot break them. I bought this one with 85k miles on it. The only thing ever replaced were coil packs and an alternator. Aside from that the truck runs flawlessly. I would recommend these to anyone.