Used 2003 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Lightning strikes twice
By John dulisse

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This truck gets a lot of attention at car shows. I have 92,000 miles on it and still this truck will rip the balls off these newer junk !

Worth the money
By mike champion

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Got truck as a one owner from ford dealership.(48,500 miles) Traded in for a car since they no longer farmed. former life was that of a gently used farm truck.(was in a accident at point.only know by the very clear headlights for a 12 yr old truck) not knowing how its maintenance past was spent a good bit doing all the things a 12 year old truck needed. regardless of of how much or little it was used.and a few issues that I knew about from my mechanics inspection.2200$+-2-300 wasn't to bad to get truck fully lined out.brakes,hoses ,all fluids and filters.and the only thing I considered a repair was replacement of the slave and master cylinder.replaced the clutch since they had it torn apart.while clutch was trouble free it still had 57,000 miles.the repair part was not overly painful on cost.and could be attributed to many factors.sitting for Last 3 years and not being driven and only run 15 min every 2 weeks.and probably a enough people not good with manual transmissions driving it. It runs great and using the cruise control I get 18-20 highway.the twisty hills of Missouri where I can't use it still solid 16-17mpg. with plenty of power.it hands and rides the dirt/gravel roads I drive to get to my favorite canoe launch and take outs. very smoothly. the interior is pretty plain but it fits my simple needs.
Lots of pros to this truck.maintenance and repair cost seem pretty good.reliability seems pretty solid as long as you do your part.throw in smooth ride&shifting .solid mpg plus good looks. I was looking for a cost friendly and reliable replacement for my other truck.(Mazda 2300 5spd 309,000 miles)I feel I got a good deal.
Cons simple interior and bench seats in vinyl.at least if you want something nicer. Tire replacement could be pretty high 16 rims and priced my tires at 200+ a price.but they are known to get 80,000+with regular rotation.and some parking spots don't work so well with the long wheel base.

Love my Harley F150
By T Mac

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson Rwd Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I can't say enough about this truck a I absolutely love it. I park the truck in the winter as I live in the Great White North. The only problem I have is in the summer is I can't keep my 17 year old daughter from not driving it ,she loves the truck too. The truck has lots of power pulled 7000LBS trailers with it no problems, passing cars like they were parked.This truck is a real head turner and can see this truck staying in the family for along time.If you can get one do it ,you will not be disappointed.

Power of the Super charged motor and the looks.

Make it summer all year so I can drive it every day.

My f 150
By bigleo

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck . Bought it used with 158k on it . Previous owner was meticulous with it . Amsoil and filter oil changed every 7k miles . Interior is roomy and comfortable . Design is blah , very plain . Like GM and Dodge cockpits better . Have an Slt Lariat Crew cab . have a KN cold air intake ( installed by previous owner ) but I am troubled by the gas mileage . I drive about 70 mph on the highway with cruise constantly . I am only getting 14 and change per gallon . Whats going on . Previous owner swears he was getting 15-18 depending on howhe drove. I do not get into the gas and rarely go over 2k on the tach . Any suggestions ?have the 5.4

roominess and ride

dashboard design

Update after the end of summer
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We are still loving our F-150, so much we paid the money to get a second ignition key programmed and we also committed to buying 4 new tires and updating the spare tire. Suffice it to say we spent $600 on new tires and we're now stuck with it, which is all the better since we are really fond of it. My son gets very stressed when I take the F-150 to work and leave him with the 20 year old (and with us for all that time) Ranger, which is a bit disconcerting. But that's what you have to accept in order for him to be happy.

After spending almost all of the savings we realized by purchasing it vs. a Chrysler minivan that cost $1k more, we have something that can outperform it in every area between the three aspects of versatility, reliability, or affordability, and sometimes more than one of those aspects. It even works (plays AND charges) with my work iPhone, my personal iPod, my son's vintage PowerBook (as a DVD player), it charges my Android smartphone with little accessories. (That is if you're thinking it's too old-school for your high-tech tastes.) This truck brings the steak in every area it ought to while still integrating the sizzle to just the right degree for all three members of our family!

Make these brand new again so that people who want a truck without fluff but with a real, not overly complicated V8 (while still being beefed up enough to be worth getting), instead of forcing them to get a too small V6, too small EcoBoost V6, really too small EcoBoost V6, or an overly complicated and hard to repair/rebuild V8. That's how good we feel it is. Maybe the so-called improvements should be to how we ought to like sizzle instead of steak if anything.