Used 2003 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Love my Harley F150
By T Mac

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson Rwd Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I can't say enough about this truck a I absolutely love it. I park the truck in the winter as I live in the Great White North. The only problem I have is in the summer is I can't keep my 17 year old daughter from not driving it ,she loves the truck too. The truck has lots of power pulled 7000LBS trailers with it no problems, passing cars like they were parked.This truck is a real head turner and can see this truck staying in the family for along time.If you can get one do it ,you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Power of the Super charged motor and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make it summer all year so I can drive it every day.

My f 150
By bigleo

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck . Bought it used with 158k on it . Previous owner was meticulous with it . Amsoil and filter oil changed every 7k miles . Interior is roomy and comfortable . Design is blah , very plain . Like GM and Dodge cockpits better . Have an Slt Lariat Crew cab . have a KN cold air intake ( installed by previous owner ) but I am troubled by the gas mileage . I drive about 70 mph on the highway with cruise constantly . I am only getting 14 and change per gallon . Whats going on . Previous owner swears he was getting 15-18 depending on howhe drove. I do not get into the gas and rarely go over 2k on the tach . Any suggestions ?have the 5.4

Favorite Features

roominess and ride

Suggested Improvements

dashboard design

Update after the end of summer
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We are still loving our F-150, so much we paid the money to get a second ignition key programmed and we also committed to buying 4 new tires and updating the spare tire. Suffice it to say we spent $600 on new tires and we're now stuck with it, which is all the better since we are really fond of it. My son gets very stressed when I take the F-150 to work and leave him with the 20 year old (and with us for all that time) Ranger, which is a bit disconcerting. But that's what you have to accept in order for him to be happy.

Favorite Features

After spending almost all of the savings we realized by purchasing it vs. a Chrysler minivan that cost $1k more, we have something that can outperform it in every area between the three aspects of versatility, reliability, or affordability, and sometimes more than one of those aspects. It even works (plays AND charges) with my work iPhone, my personal iPod, my son's vintage PowerBook (as a DVD player), it charges my Android smartphone with little accessories. (That is if you're thinking it's too old-school for your high-tech tastes.) This truck brings the steak in every area it ought to while still integrating the sizzle to just the right degree for all three members of our family!

Suggested Improvements

Make these brand new again so that people who want a truck without fluff but with a real, not overly complicated V8 (while still being beefed up enough to be worth getting), instead of forcing them to get a too small V6, too small EcoBoost V6, really too small EcoBoost V6, or an overly complicated and hard to repair/rebuild V8. That's how good we feel it is. Maybe the so-called improvements should be to how we ought to like sizzle instead of steak if anything.

I went back to my doctor in Nashville and...
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

...it went so smoothly, it was like butter, I had options for advanced technology (for the era) to use it in the truck and I just settled for listening to music on the iPod video that is vintage (almost as vintage in portable device years as the F-150 is in vehicle years) and I didn't want any more features than what the F-150 had on tap. I guess I'm not a car connoisseur like I should be, because I don't want features that require monthly expenses to cellular companies. That's really all the high-technology is, just another way for cell phone companies to get riches from you by expecting you to pay for "convenience". I can tell convenience no, you should try it too. Still so very pleased!

Favorite Features

No 3G, 4G, or other cellular data limitations in the name of "convenience", no undue hassles, pure modern performance without postmodern fluff, and everything that choice entails! Everything's a favorite feature!

Suggested Improvements

I'd be picking nits if I was to say there were any improvements needed except to resume making vehicles like this that are stylish and dependable and free of unnecessary conveniences that are really just hassle.

Chevy can't win even the family vehicle race
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got to look inside a neighbor's 2008 Chevrolet Uplander LS and aside from having a beefy V6 engine, it seemed to be skimpy on everything else. It's like the GM engineers spent so much of their recycled design budget on giving it more power and neglecting what would make you want a van from 2006 and later-namely options like navigation, DVD playing, high-end stereo systems, even a supposedly crucial safety feature like OnStar unless you buy a $40,000+ model. My F-150 cost much less (both brand new and when we bought it) and has everything I could possibly ask for. That's a pivotal moment to me.

Favorite Features

Feature parity with a much newer family vehicle, masculine appeal, the right options properly placed, the recalls that are needed were already attended to or were fixed promptly, the fact that our engine has more cylinders and displacement than work to do, basically everything. It makes me feel like I got everything I wanted and I'm blown away. The fact that a 5/6 years newer Chevrolet van isn't that much better is just icing on the cake! Everything to love!

Suggested Improvements

Drop the whole idea of the postmodern vehicle and deliver proper, reliable options like this. You can't better what I've got, and I've looked high, low, and everywhere in between. You just drop postmodern technology and we'll do great. Also fire Allen R. Mullaly, he's the one who convinced Ford to go postmodern.