2003 Ford F-150 XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Sort Reviews by

Love my Harley F150
By T Mac

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson Rwd Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I can't say enough about this truck a I absolutely love it. I park the truck in the winter as I live in the Great White North. The only problem I have is in the summer is I can't keep my 17 year old daughter from not driving it ,she loves the truck too. The truck has lots of power pulled 7000LBS trailers with it no problems, passing cars like they were parked.This truck is a real head turner and can see this truck staying in the family for along time.If you can get one do it ,you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Power of the Super charged motor and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Make it summer all year so I can drive it every day.

My f 150
By bigleo

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Love this truck . Bought it used with 158k on it . Previous owner was meticulous with it . Amsoil and filter oil changed every 7k miles . Interior is roomy and comfortable . Design is blah , very plain . Like GM and Dodge cockpits better . Have an Slt Lariat Crew cab . have a KN cold air intake ( installed by previous owner ) but I am troubled by the gas mileage . I drive about 70 mph on the highway with cruise constantly . I am only getting 14 and change per gallon . Whats going on . Previous owner swears he was getting 15-18 depending on howhe drove. I do not get into the gas and rarely go over 2k on the tach . Any suggestions ?have the 5.4

Favorite Features

roominess and ride

Suggested Improvements

dashboard design

Update after the end of summer

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We are still loving our F-150, so much we paid the money to get a second ignition key programmed and we also committed to buying 4 new tires and updating the spare tire. Suffice it to say we spent $600 on new tires and we're now stuck with it, which is all the better since we are really fond of it. My son gets very stressed when I take the F-150 to work and leave him with the 20 year old (and with us for all that time) Ranger, which is a bit disconcerting. But that's what you have to accept in order for him to be happy.

Favorite Features

After spending almost all of the savings we realized by purchasing it vs. a Chrysler minivan that cost $1k more, we have something that can outperform it in every area between the three aspects of versatility, reliability, or affordability, and sometimes more than one of those aspects. It even works (plays AND charges) with my work iPhone, my personal iPod, my son's vintage PowerBook (as a DVD player), it charges my Android smartphone with little accessories. (That is if you're thinking it's too old-school for your high-tech tastes.) This truck brings the steak in every area it ought to while still integrating the sizzle to just the right degree for all three members of our family!

Suggested Improvements

Make these brand new again so that people who want a truck without fluff but with a real, not overly complicated V8 (while still being beefed up enough to be worth getting), instead of forcing them to get a too small V6, too small EcoBoost V6, really too small EcoBoost V6, or an overly complicated and hard to repair/rebuild V8. That's how good we feel it is. Maybe the so-called improvements should be to how we ought to like sizzle instead of steak if anything.

I went back to my doctor in Nashville and...
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

...it went so smoothly, it was like butter, I had options for advanced technology (for the era) to use it in the truck and I just settled for listening to music on the iPod video that is vintage (almost as vintage in portable device years as the F-150 is in vehicle years) and I didn't want any more features than what the F-150 had on tap. I guess I'm not a car connoisseur like I should be, because I don't want features that require monthly expenses to cellular companies. That's really all the high-technology is, just another way for cell phone companies to get riches from you by expecting you to pay for "convenience". I can tell convenience no, you should try it too. Still so very pleased!

Favorite Features

No 3G, 4G, or other cellular data limitations in the name of "convenience", no undue hassles, pure modern performance without postmodern fluff, and everything that choice entails! Everything's a favorite feature!

Suggested Improvements

I'd be picking nits if I was to say there were any improvements needed except to resume making vehicles like this that are stylish and dependable and free of unnecessary conveniences that are really just hassle.

Chevy can't win even the family vehicle race
By smoo4asw

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I got to look inside a neighbor's 2008 Chevrolet Uplander LS and aside from having a beefy V6 engine, it seemed to be skimpy on everything else. It's like the GM engineers spent so much of their recycled design budget on giving it more power and neglecting what would make you want a van from 2006 and later-namely options like navigation, DVD playing, high-end stereo systems, even a supposedly crucial safety feature like OnStar unless you buy a $40,000+ model. My F-150 cost much less (both brand new and when we bought it) and has everything I could possibly ask for. That's a pivotal moment to me.

Favorite Features

Feature parity with a much newer family vehicle, masculine appeal, the right options properly placed, the recalls that are needed were already attended to or were fixed promptly, the fact that our engine has more cylinders and displacement than work to do, basically everything. It makes me feel like I got everything I wanted and I'm blown away. The fact that a 5/6 years newer Chevrolet van isn't that much better is just icing on the cake! Everything to love!

Suggested Improvements

Drop the whole idea of the postmodern vehicle and deliver proper, reliable options like this. You can't better what I've got, and I've looked high, low, and everywhere in between. You just drop postmodern technology and we'll do great. Also fire Allen R. Mullaly, he's the one who convinced Ford to go postmodern.

The next pivotal moment came and went!

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

We had to get the F-150 emissions tested to get our tag and it sailed through the emissions test like butter after we sat there and just bought regular maintenance items (albeit several of them.) If you can have a truck, that it's a full size if entry level truck, and it can blow away everything except it's 1994 Ford Ranger companion (at least comparing main to second vehicles), that's proof of how tough Ford built it (unless of course you want to regularly change vehicles, but then again we're incredibly risk-averse, so we're not going to push a desire we don't even have.) I love this Ford F-150 and I love my Ranger and unless I have to let go of one of them I will not, and that's it!

Favorite Features

It's like my Ranger, but with room for up to 4 adults and 2 small children. It has all the technology I could ask for without any of the limitations I couldn't stand like with SYNC and OnStar. It's also got a V8 at double the displacement of the 4 cylinder in our Ranger, which makes it so good in that regard. When it works I don't have any regrets or things I don't like! Yes!

Suggested Improvements

Fire Allen R. Mullaly at Ford so that EcoBoost can go aw ah and Ford's vehicles can go back to this level of awesome, as my 1994 Ranger and 2003 F-150 are in their respective categories and as Rick's 2000 F-150 is in it's chosen niche.

One Awesome Truck!
By tearex63

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning Rwd Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this truck in December 2012 with 54K miles on it. The truck had already been modified with an oversized blower drive pulley, tuner, cold air package & Bassani exhaust. I had the truck dyno tested and it pulled 383 HP at the rear wheels. Needless to say, this truck is WICKED fast. Random people come up to me and compliment me on how cool it is. I love the sound of the blower coming on and the fact that I can light the tires any time I feel like it. Starts and runs just like a regular truck, great exhaust tone & instant throttle response. Only bad thing is the 10 MPG around town, but what the heck, I've got motorcycles & junky cars to drive to work.

Favorite Features

Fast! Reliable & comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

This truck is perfect in every way

Final Update Until Next Pivotal Moment

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

In my previous reviews, I didn't get to emphasize how much the 2003 Ford F-150 was a good value for money, because even though a lot of wear items went bad at once, the fact that once we got them done it's back to running like it was when we got it if not better, and for $6581 out the door (granted the previous owner had kept the second coded key and the key fobs, but they later got replaced) means that the truck had everything we wanted and just by taking care of it its back to taking care of us. I would like to say that if you keep a vehicle long enough, you're going to have to replace various components. If you like the vehicle well enough, you will find it worthwhile, if not, oh well.

Favorite Features

V8 engine, auto transmission, virtually everything in the vehicle is a feature now that the wear items are content for the moment. There isn't a single thing I don't like, because I agreed to accept occasional ankle complaints to get us something that "just works". And looks good despite a sign of wear here and there. I would marry it if I could. (No woman would want me as I can be very temperamental.)

Suggested Improvements

Make the previous owners carry out scheduled maintenance on time so that my poor Daddy doesn't have to replace a whole bunch of things just to get it to run right. And emphasize that any Ford, no matter how intermediate between classic and current, or on either extreme, is still better than driving Chrysler or GM crap. (If EcoBoost was worth the outlay we'd have already bought it.)

Frustrated that certain things are hard to get to, but!

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The but is when you fix all the issues that were piling up it sits there and is about to stand up and tap dance for you-and on regular gas if you can choose a standard, non-supercharged V8 (if you must have the most power, you have to spend more money.) Turns out after doing routine maintenance and tightening the suddenly very loose air intake mechanism together it's back happy and as long as that is the case, the idiot light should go off once we reset it-could finally tell that we had a vacuum leak but couldn't tell where it was coming from, and the spark plugs had never been replaced. It's running like a top now, in every way. We're stuck with it now.

Favorite Features

That when you do regular maintenance and tighten things down right that it "just works"! It's supposed to break, but if you do the common sense items, it's like it's able to do anything! It's a superhero disguised as a truck! These are a few of my favorite things. See my other reviews for more.

Suggested Improvements

Make the key fobs out of titanium so their key ring clips won't break. Make the AM/FM Cassette/CD Premium Stereo have a tape player that won't crap out just 4 months and 2 tapes after being refurbished professionally. And if we must press, over-solder the capacitors on the overhead display rather than requiring a third party to do Ford's work for them. Other than that, dump the EcoBoost crap and go back to these, because their problems are able to be worked around. You can't say that for the newer models.

Latest update after the first "problem" cropped up

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck still, despite the fact that the check engine light came on after an oil change. The reason why it came on is because the people at the oil change place were a tiny bit too rough with our air filter, and so as a result it wasn't sealing tightly. Efforts to fix it only made it worse until we returned it to the way it should have been and lo and behold, the check engine light has been off for over double the amount of driving cycles needed to reset the system and if it was still an issue have the check engine light return. Based on how easy it was once we did it right, I can't even complain about it having an issue.

Favorite Features

Even when the check engine light comes on, it's not apt like an EcoBoost replacement to sit there and throw up a code that means major engine work is needed unless major engine work is actually needed. And when it is, it's easy to diagnose. That feature is so critical I bought it Ford Motorcraft Platinum spark plugs because it made my job of getting it running so much easier. There's nothing I dislike, because it's issues are plain and simple when they do occur, and the truck is awesome when they're not occurring.

Suggested Improvements

Make Ford re-run their 2003 vintage Ford truck commercials and scrap this EcoBoost junk they're putting in the new models. This F-150 is easy to diagnose compared to our 1994 Ranger or a new 2011 or later EcoBoost model once the engine has been stressed at all. If use on the new models is abuse, I'd rather buy the old models-oh wait, I already did. So I guess you just have to scrap the EcoBoost junk and go back to proven engine designs, even if they're less fuel efficient.