2002 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed Consumer Review - 3rd F150 in a row

2002 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

XLT SuperCab (4.2L V6 5-speed Manual 6.6 ft. Bed)

3rd F150 in a row and never again
By Jimmy on

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has left me on the road 4 times now the last time was 2nd tranny I had dealer installed. I have been left on the road for 2 throttle position sensors as well. I have an oil burning issue also it uses about a litre each week. I have had bullit proof f150's before like the 1976, the 1984, and the 1999. I had the most success with the 1984 and 1976. I am going to Toyota I think next time. I have 100 000 miles plus on the 2002 and once the lease is up it is outta here... The heated seats and mirrors do not work and never have. Many plastic interior pieces are broken or not working. The drivers side door locks broken too now.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity it will tow the toys and the brakes are top shelf. I have towed with the old f150 my tandem axle car trailer and a liberator 260 boat. Brought home stone for my walkway from the quarry.

Suggested Improvements

Build one with an allison automatic tranny I have had 3 in my f150. The original tranny, the 1st replacement from ford, and the one in there right now that is acting up. Put in lubricatable front end parts I have replaced most of mine. 2 lower ball joints and right idler arm and tie rod.