2002 Ford F-150 Consumer Review: Good truck, modest tow vehicle

2002 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

XLT SuperCrew (4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic 5.4 ft. Bed)

Good truck, modest tow vehicle
By amerigo88 on

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new July '02. Added step-up bars, factory bedliner and Class III tow package. Pulled a large trailer across Desert Southwest during July/August of 2003 with no overheating worries. Very slow to tow, couldn't exceed 55 mph fully loaded. Averaged about 8 mpg at that awful speed with 3 children riding in crewcab. Transferred towing duty to wife's 2003, 3/4 ton Suburban and all are much happier. The Supercrew is still rock-solid reliable, comfortable, and strong. I hope Ford can keep up the good work because the Dodges, Toyotas and Nissans are really coming on strong.

Favorite Features

Adjustable pedals are great. (me 6'2", she 5'3"). Insanely reliable so far. (28K) Short bed handier than I expected. Looks grew on me quickly. Now prefer to the revamped F-150's. Comfort on looong trips. Holds the five of us well. Really like the front seat grab handles for climbing in.

Suggested Improvements

GM's four wheel steering is awesome. The 4.6L was very disappointing with low mileage (13 mpg, then 15 mpg after broken in) and insufficient towing power. (6000 lb. trailer) Marker lamps are cheap and I love them - make 'em standard. Tailgate too hard to remove quickly. Really need a diesel option.