Used 2002 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

This Ford Truck
By Mindy Mullen

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck from Palmetto in Miami, with 20,000 miles on it, untitled, salesman's demo. We are very rough on interiors. (Kids,dogs,motorcycle dirt)and after 120,000 miles it is still in very good condition, no rips. The paint is still almost perfect and very shiny. The seats are very comfy for grown-ups and kids...full back seat. Back seats fold down, some storage behind seats. Good ride. One of the best vehicles we have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Comfy seats. Full back seat, not a 'half seat' like some others. Doors open wide. Fairly quiet for a big truck. Pretty smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Center rear shoulder belt, this may be available in the newer models.

Love it.
By Cogiej

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new. In over 5 years, It needed brakes once, a ball joint, and a set of rear springs. The factory steel bumper needs a repaint. That's all the bad news. Now for the good news. On the highway the 4.2 liter gets 20mpg for real! It can tow a 5800lb trailer at 65mph and still get 12-13mpg! The truck has never let me down.

Favorite Features

3.55 gears, longbed

Suggested Improvements

Better paint on front bumper

I love this truck!
By badge1025

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning 2WD Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I finally got it. I've always wanted one and found my '02 at the Ford dealership. It only had 43k and in perfect condition. The performance is unreal. Gas mileage is ok for what's under the hood. I drove this truck from Florida to Ohio and averaged only 16 mpg. It was very comfortable and quiet. I towed a car back with it and lost 2 mpg averaging 13-14. I can't say enough about this truck. I really enjoy driving and owning it. Mine is red and completly stock. The best part is the blower whine. The truck handles like a sports car. Buy this truck. It is unreal. I always get comments and questions about it at the gas pump.

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little fancier engine looks like the Mustang motor.

Love it!
By mykl

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used about a year and a half ago. I plan on having it forever. I have had no major problems with it. I was either going to buy this truck or a similar used 2004 (new style) F-150 model, but I really like this style better. It feels/drives more like a truck (the 2004 for felt/drove more like an SUV to me) and also feel it is a stronger, more durable vehicle. If you are looking for a used truck and come across a 2002-2003 F-150, give it a try and you won't be disapointed. This is a truck that you will still see on the road in 10-20 years....something you couldn't say about a Dodge.

Favorite Features

4x4, the view, comfort, long bed, color (true blue), good pick up/power, size, interior space/ext. cab, has an OK stock CD/radio, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Of course I can easily say something about the gas mileage, but I did buy a 5.4L V-8! How can I complain, I know what I was getting into. LOL Not a big fan of the honeycomb grille. Besides that....it's all good!

Still Happy With It
By CT

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in November 2002. Generally still like the vehicle and like the styling better than the new F-150 except for the front end. Absolutely love how comfortable the vehicle is front and back, and the quality of the leather seats are very good and easy to maintain. Have had few problems except with the driver's side heated seat and the keyless entry system, both of which were repaired under warranty. The paint quality is excellent and there are still no rattles and squeaks after 4 1/2 years. The dash is starting to look dated now, especially when compared to the new models. Undercarriage has some rust which in my view is premature. Great power with the 5.4, but fuel economy is only OK.

Favorite Features

Comfort of seats, heated seats, electronic climate control, moonroof, rear seat stowage compartments, roominess. Power with 5.4L, Taillights still are the sharpest looking of any truck on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wipers, better rust proofing on undercarriage. Didn't expect good fuel economy but I only average about 14 mpg/city and 20 mpg/highway.