Used 2002 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Lightning
By Jeremy

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning 2WD Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

Good daily driver or pull the race car to the track or a trip to Home Depot this is a great truck. For a small half ton it does the job. For serious big truck people this is not for you. This truck has some car characteristics. It's almost worthless and you can't help to love it.

Acceleration, comfort, style,

Bad gas mileage (which one should expect), a tape player in 02 why? Too much bump steer from 10' wide tire up front, too heavy. 4700 curb weight even feels heavy.

The best truck ever made
By opsensei

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent truckk for work, family, fun, always ready and never fails. I keep the maintenace as the manual suggests and today is 100k and many more miles and is a part of the family

Loyal

More ground clearance for me, but as standard for the market is good, I'm planning to lift it

I love my Fords
By Donny

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have the FX4 with the 4.6 and five speed manual transmission. We are the second owner, love the pickup. Had it for over two years and had no problems. It has 110,000 miles on it and will drive it until the wheels fall off. We pull a trailer with it and pulls just fine. Plan on putting dual exhaust on it and will get a little more power out of it. Love the FX4 package and the ability to get the five speed in it, has been just as reliable as all my Fords have been

Five speed manual transmission, FX4 off road package, will probably be the newest F150 I will ever own as they don't put a manual in the new ones

Manual lockouts for the front axle

Good truck, starting to rattle badly
By cd

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been a workhorse for me on the highway. Some years I will put 35K on the truck. It handles well, holds the road great and takes strong winds in stride. This truck is very easy on tires, I got 70K on the factory set and will approach that with the second set.

It holds the road like a car, it is truly a very good on the road truck.

The fuel economy really needs to improve. 13 city 17 highway. The drivers seat becomes uncomfortable after about 1 1/2 hours on the road. The seat could be longer to provide better suport under the knees and the sides could be wider before the seat flars up.

Awesome Truck
By John Murgatroyd

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck. Never left me on the side of the road. Everything still original, except for tires. Still has original battery and shocks even. Had a 100,000 mile tune up done recently, which cost a bit (included engine flush, transmission flush and coolant flush), but nothing needed replacement. I expected something to be worn or borderline, but it got a clean bill of health. I plan on passing it along to my daughter for her first vehicle and getting another newer model.

Very low noise in the cab. Handles like a luxury car. Light in the rear, but most trucks are. I'm getting 19.5 MPG HW and 18 City at 115,000 miles. With today's fuel cost, that's good news.

From what I see on the newer models, I cannot think of a thing to improve on. If the newer models hold up as well as this and drive as good as or better, I will be satisfied (once I get over the sticker shock of the newer models).