Used 2002 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best I've owned
By Jobe

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Very few minor defects are far outweighed by the overall integrity of the truck. I do not like rattles and squeaks and this truck has not one, inside or outside. The overall finish of the interior is excellent well designed, simple, stylish, and to the point.

Overall integrity, sufficient power for a recreational puller.

coolant temperature sensor, a 2 dollar part went out causing a "check engine light" 900 dollars after the intake manifold is removed to replace it it's fixed. Coil packs are prone to leaking water in causing misfires. You can remove and clean them though.

MY 02' F-150 SuperCab 4.6L V8
By Brandon Lehr

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I have to say that I LOVE this truck. When I first got it in 08' it had 32k miles on it. It now has 60k miles on it, and the only problem I have had is with the EGR Sensor. I replaced it twice and the second time I also changed the PCV valve, and so far SO good :D. I have hauled 1 ton in this truck and it hauled it with ease.. I haven't towed anything really worth mentioning.. but i did pull a jeep out of a ditch in winter, with NO trouble!! I am being completely honest, I really do love this truck.. Its the best truck I have driven and seen. I will have it forever! I really do LOVE Ford trucks..

I love it all!

WELDED HOOKS in the bed of the truck.. I HATE the screw in hooks in the bed. Also it needs a bit more Hp :D

I missed my old one!
By P/U Guy

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with 107k on it. I love this truck! It's handsome, incredibly dependable, and comfortable. I had purchased one new (a 2003 model) almost identical to this one. I drove it for two years and traded it in on a HEMI Ram. I regretted that day ever since. After much searching, I found one just like my old one. Same color (white), same body style, sport package, same drivetrain (4.2 V6 and 5 Spd), same interior color. With 120k miles on it, it runs and drives just like my new one did. The guy I bought it from used it to pull heavy trailers, so I replaced the clutch because the old one was showing signs of wear. I love this truck!

The ride quality and exceptional mechanical quality of this truck simply can't be beat. I do ALL of my own mechanical work and I love this truck's build.

More power would be useful out of the V6. However, I could have just opted for a V8.

My little red truck!
By Iamgonzo

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Searched long and hard for this truck. I looked at the 2005 and was not fond of the looks and even less fond of the 2009 either! I found the color, red, the right options and low mileage by searching the internet endlessly. I put a K&N cold air intake on it, with helped with power and got some improvement on the mileage, not great, it is a 5.4 after all! Drove it from CA to FL and was very comfortable at the end of the day. Got 21mph one time going across Texas. Avg 19.5 most of the trip. Handled great in the snow of N. Arizona. Love my truck and will be keeping her a long time.

Color, looks, ride, handling, did I say looks? Get lot's of compliments on my F150 and it's still mostly stock.

Lift the front, which I will be doing soon.

3rd F150 in a row and never again
By Jimmy

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has left me on the road 4 times now the last time was 2nd tranny I had dealer installed. I have been left on the road for 2 throttle position sensors as well. I have an oil burning issue also it uses about a litre each week. I have had bullit proof f150's before like the 1976, the 1984, and the 1999. I had the most success with the 1984 and 1976. I am going to Toyota I think next time. I have 100 000 miles plus on the 2002 and once the lease is up it is outta here... The heated seats and mirrors do not work and never have. Many plastic interior pieces are broken or not working. The drivers side door locks broken too now.

Towing capacity it will tow the toys and the brakes are top shelf. I have towed with the old f150 my tandem axle car trailer and a liberator 260 boat. Brought home stone for my walkway from the quarry.

Build one with an allison automatic tranny I have had 3 in my f150. The original tranny, the 1st replacement from ford, and the one in there right now that is acting up. Put in lubricatable front end parts I have replaced most of mine. 2 lower ball joints and right idler arm and tie rod.