Used 2002 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
3rd F150 in a row and never again
By Jimmy

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has left me on the road 4 times now the last time was 2nd tranny I had dealer installed. I have been left on the road for 2 throttle position sensors as well. I have an oil burning issue also it uses about a litre each week. I have had bullit proof f150's before like the 1976, the 1984, and the 1999. I had the most success with the 1984 and 1976. I am going to Toyota I think next time. I have 100 000 miles plus on the 2002 and once the lease is up it is outta here... The heated seats and mirrors do not work and never have. Many plastic interior pieces are broken or not working. The drivers side door locks broken too now.

Favorite Features

Towing capacity it will tow the toys and the brakes are top shelf. I have towed with the old f150 my tandem axle car trailer and a liberator 260 boat. Brought home stone for my walkway from the quarry.

Suggested Improvements

Build one with an allison automatic tranny I have had 3 in my f150. The original tranny, the 1st replacement from ford, and the one in there right now that is acting up. Put in lubricatable front end parts I have replaced most of mine. 2 lower ball joints and right idler arm and tie rod.

Love my Fords
By Tim

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Bought it used and it is my daily driver. Have done a couple of power upgrades along with routine maintenance and it is very fast. When loaded down or pulling it drives like a dream. Very comfortable and reliable. Only problem I have had with this truck is the sliding rear window latch broke. This truck reminds me of why I drive nothing but fords, Toyota who.

Favorite Features

I love this truck can't really pick a favorite feature.Power,comfort,reliability and it's a darn good looking body

Suggested Improvements

sliding rear window latch is the only thing I can suggest after 5 years with this truck.

Best I've owned
By Jobe

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Very few minor defects are far outweighed by the overall integrity of the truck. I do not like rattles and squeaks and this truck has not one, inside or outside. The overall finish of the interior is excellent well designed, simple, stylish, and to the point.

Favorite Features

Overall integrity, sufficient power for a recreational puller.

Suggested Improvements

coolant temperature sensor, a 2 dollar part went out causing a "check engine light" 900 dollars after the intake manifold is removed to replace it it's fixed. Coil packs are prone to leaking water in causing misfires. You can remove and clean them though.

One Good Truck
By Bahamaroot

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Have had the truck for two years and plan to drive it to its grave. Love the comfort and the design. Rides and handles better than most cars I've driven. Buy far the best truck I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage for the Triton V8

I love my Fords
By Donny

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have the FX4 with the 4.6 and five speed manual transmission. We are the second owner, love the pickup. Had it for over two years and had no problems. It has 110,000 miles on it and will drive it until the wheels fall off. We pull a trailer with it and pulls just fine. Plan on putting dual exhaust on it and will get a little more power out of it. Love the FX4 package and the ability to get the five speed in it, has been just as reliable as all my Fords have been

Favorite Features

Five speed manual transmission, FX4 off road package, will probably be the newest F150 I will ever own as they don't put a manual in the new ones

Suggested Improvements

Manual lockouts for the front axle