Used 2002 Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Waste of Money
By zapttu2014

2002 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought when I turned 16 in 2008 with 67,000 miles on it, 3 years later have 122,000 with all scheduled maintenance. Front suspension is nearly gone, replaced slave cylinder at 71K, shorted plug wires on valve covers at 73K, replaced rear bumper mounts at 75K, cracked the lower manifold at 94K, 95K lost the throwout bearing, 104K had ECU problems, syncros in the tranny are going...poor engineering. Truck does not have any power for passing and barely gets 15 mpg on the highway. Engine is low on torque and unreliable. Don't think I'll ever buy another Ford after this one. Only used to get to and from high school and college and work.

None

Buy a 3/4 ton GM or Dodge diesel if your running nothing but highway, the truck will pay for it's self in fuel savings after 50K miles due to the 20-28 mpg mileage the vehicles get. My only suggested improvement is to bring the pre-97 models back out.

simply great
By gregg45365

2002 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our truck new in april 2002,currently has 139,000 miles and still is running with the same clutch,and only recently changed the front brakes.Also had to change the drivers side tierod.Themost we have spent in fixing our truck is the clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing.We've kept up on the oil changes every 3,000 miles,and tune- ups.This truck handles great,still looks good,and we'll never part with it.

All the room inside the truck behind the seats and in the storage box.

It sucked having to pay so much to repair the clutch slave cylinder because it is located in the bell housing.

I missed my old one!
By P/U Guy

2002 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with 107k on it. I love this truck! It's handsome, incredibly dependable, and comfortable. I had purchased one new (a 2003 model) almost identical to this one. I drove it for two years and traded it in on a HEMI Ram. I regretted that day ever since. After much searching, I found one just like my old one. Same color (white), same body style, sport package, same drivetrain (4.2 V6 and 5 Spd), same interior color. With 120k miles on it, it runs and drives just like my new one did. The guy I bought it from used it to pull heavy trailers, so I replaced the clutch because the old one was showing signs of wear. I love this truck!

The ride quality and exceptional mechanical quality of this truck simply can't be beat. I do ALL of my own mechanical work and I love this truck's build.

More power would be useful out of the V6. However, I could have just opted for a V8.

Ford tough
By jmdouglas

2002 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Traded up 36 years, from a 1966 Chevy pickup to the 2002 Ford F150. Loved the old Chevy but wouldn't have traded for one a year newer. Ford has surpased GM many times over since the 60s as far as I'm concerned. Very pleased overall with the F150, style, performance and the feel of a very solid vehicle.

Would like to see running boards or side steps standard to keep auto doors from banging the exterior.

I am and will always be a FORD MAN!
By Ken Lyons

2002 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Ford makes the BEST pickups on the planet!!!

Leather wrapped steering wheel, Chrome wheels, tough as hell, wonderful reputation, etc.

Please put in bucket seats so that when I turn corners, I'm not flyin' around all over the place!