Used 2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Fantastic vehicle
By fordtestdriver

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love my truck. The only thing that has gone wrong in 5 years is the antenna loosened after driving through the car wash. It was repaired under warranty. I purchased an aftermarket engine recalibration package and if I burn premium I get about 3 mpg better and a lot more power with the reprogrammed chip. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are ride comfort, a good looking interior and exterior. The best feature is reliability.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy is poor. 15 mpg tops highway. I improved mine by 3mpg burning premium and using a reprogrammed processor.

2001 Sport
By Mike

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new when I started college. Never had a problem with the truck, can't say the same about college. I still drive it everyday to and from work; it still feels and has the reliability it did when it was brand new. Can't wait to pay off my student loans so I can buy a new one.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry and the automatic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

More power from the V-6 and bed liner standard.

Garbage
By Bob

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Rust all along lower front doors found at 2 years old. Dealer has repainted 3 times. Now the hood is bubbling too! Rear drivers wheel locked up at 35mph due to emergency brake shoe coming apart. Then 1 year later the passenger rear emergency brake locked up the same way. The shoe material separates from the metal. We never used the emergency brake and nobody had ever worked on it. Heck this truck has less than 30k on it! Can't believe no recall on brakes that just lock up one tire at speed TWICE! Power mirror switch inoperable.

Favorite Features

Smooth shifting auto transmission, looks good.

Suggested Improvements

2 spoke steering horrible, power window switch and cup holders not good. Bought a true American built truck, Titan.

Happy & Satisfied with vehicle
By Jim

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle to tow a twenty-five foot travel trailer. I pulled it for five years over the Blueridge mountain range, six thousand foot elevation. I now have a twenty-eight foot fifth wheel travel trailer. I use a Super Glider fifth wheel to tow with. I was concerned that its extra weight might be to much but has done a fine job so far. I am within the GVCR for towing but this has not been a problem. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE AUTOMATIC LOCKING OF THE DOOR LOCKS. They most always close except the right front passenger side. I have not asked for assistance for the problem and my vehicle will be six years old in May. I have completed every scheduled maintenance check on this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic door locks for this model.

This has been a great truck!
By ronjenson

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck replaced a problematic 1999 Silverado. It drives great and holds the road well. Turning radius is tight. The 5.4 Triton has more than adequate power to pull a 30' travel trailer. The captains chairs are very comfortable and we like the lumbar supports and adjustable pedals since I am tall and my wife is short. The truck has been relatively trouble-free. In over four years I have only made three repairs outside normal maintenance. This included replacing a rear axle bearing, replacing the IAC valve, and replacing a rear rotor (warped due to heat generated by failing axle bearing). In all these repairs cost me about $400 total. Not bad for four years. I would buy another .

Favorite Features

Crew cab! Exterior design. Locking tailgate. Power and smoothness of Triton engine. Dependability and build quality (it has yet to develop a single rattle or squeak). Near perfect paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Styling is much improved on new models. My only complaint is the fuel economy. 15 mpg tops. The Silverado at least got 17, but it was a dog. So I guess it's a trade off.