Used 2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Why did they change it?
By JCW

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just an all around great vehicle. I have owned both Dodge and Chevy trucks before, and this is my favorite. It has been extremely reliable. I have only had routine service done, oil changes, filters, etc. in over 80,000 of driving. The greatest testimony is that my 15 year old son hopes I still have it when he is driving and ready to have his own vehicle. I probably will, I don't ever see myself getting rid of it.

Favorite Features

Rear seats. The 5.4 liter engine with gobs of torque. Speed sensitive volume control on the audio system.

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage. Door handle material wearability A/C condensation drips on the exhaust

Not bad if you like rust.
By sebhmb

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck new because we had a family and needed to haul horses too. It performed great! Never any problems but at about 5 years old we noticed the doors were rusting. Since we'd purchased a lifetime rust protection warranty and had it inspected yearly we returned to the dealership who said they had no responsibility and should go to the company who made the rust inhibitor, although we purchased it through Ford. Nope, nobody claimed responsibility. At our car show we spoke with Ford reps and that got some action but they all claimed that after 5 years, they had no responsibility...although the truck only had 45,000 miles and was kept inside - always!

Favorite Features

Loved it! Fun to drive, no mechanical problems, hot to look at! Great truck.

Suggested Improvements

Building a door that is not "designed" to trap water in the bottom of the door panel that will cause rusting from the inside out! Even Ford claimed that it was a flaw and needed improvement.

This has been a great truck!
By ronjenson

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This truck replaced a problematic 1999 Silverado. It drives great and holds the road well. Turning radius is tight. The 5.4 Triton has more than adequate power to pull a 30' travel trailer. The captains chairs are very comfortable and we like the lumbar supports and adjustable pedals since I am tall and my wife is short. The truck has been relatively trouble-free. In over four years I have only made three repairs outside normal maintenance. This included replacing a rear axle bearing, replacing the IAC valve, and replacing a rear rotor (warped due to heat generated by failing axle bearing). In all these repairs cost me about $400 total. Not bad for four years. I would buy another .

Favorite Features

Crew cab! Exterior design. Locking tailgate. Power and smoothness of Triton engine. Dependability and build quality (it has yet to develop a single rattle or squeak). Near perfect paint job.

Suggested Improvements

Styling is much improved on new models. My only complaint is the fuel economy. 15 mpg tops. The Silverado at least got 17, but it was a dog. So I guess it's a trade off.

Great Truck
By RKMason

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck used 1.5 years old w/22k mi. Now at 83k mi. Got 4WD for use launching and retrieving a boat, but found I rarely need to engage 4WD. With the 5.4 L V8 the truck is a great tow vehicle for a 4500 lb boat & trailer. We use the CrewCab as our primary vehicle carrying more than 2 people. The Lariat model interior makes travel very comfortable. Reliability has been good; IAC valve began to stick last winter and I have paint peeling off of some of the plastic dashboard panels. Gas mileage could be better but overall it's been a great vehicle for us.

Favorite Features

Towing capability. Lariat CrewCab interior.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Interior plastic painting. AC seems marginal in summertime Texas.

SuperCrew Spoils You
By predmon

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson 2WD Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Lariat with 5.4 that I bought in 2007 after my second son was born. This truck has a very comfortable ride with a great features such as the 6 disc CD player, leather seats. This truck allows me to put all 3 of my boys and their stuff in the cab along with tools and go to the farm. I fed cows daily out this truck during the 2010 winter with lots of mud never got stuck but sticky clay mud is very hard to clean up, I'm still getting mud out from under this truck 2 years later.

Favorite Features

I love the electronic 4 wheel drive switch, I always had manual hubs and a lever. I love how smooth the truck rides both on and off road. The seats are great and have held up very well, only one small tear in the drivers seat. I love the SuperCrew Option most of all and can't imagine owning a truck that is not a Crewcab now, it can serve as work truck and haul or tow or you can wash it up and take the family out on the town, vacation or to church. I can't say enough about! Ford really knows what customers want, mine was one of the first SuperCrews made and now everybody makes one. I will be buying another one, oneday, since it is not my main vehicle now, I do a lot of commuting now.

Suggested Improvements

Remove the plastic running boards these caused my truck to rust out along the rocker panel if that wasn't bad enough they don't sell replacement rocker panels for SuperCrews. I would like a little longer bed the 5.5 is to short, I have busted two rear windows hauling a 4 wheeler and as the body of the truck flexed the 4 wheeler came forward and busted out the rear window, the other time was a front tractor tire. Next truck will have a headache rack. Figure out how to make an engine that does consume 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles; that is within Ford Specs for this engine. I have owned many vehicles and never had this issue. The truck only has 170K and have had this problem since about 150K