Used 2001 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Still satisfied after all these years
By atwowheelguy

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new. New transmission at 160,000 miles. 174,000 miles on it now. Front brakes twice and rear brakes once. One electric window motor replaced. Throttle body cleaned twice. Uses a quart of oil every 4,000 miles. Original alternator and water pump still going strong. Interior looks good except for the rubber cover on the brake pedal. No rust. Exterior looks good except the normal parking lot dings after 8 years. Plenty of room for grandchildren and motorcycles. Reasonable gas mileage for such a large, comfortable vehicle. No complaints here.

Lots of comfortable room inside. Bed extender is very handy.

I'm sure the newer models have lots of improvements. I just have no compelling reason yet to sell this one and get a newer one.

Overall a great truck
By Eric1565

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've had my truck for 5 years now, and had relatively no problems. Oil change every 3-5k and been through one set of tires (40K, Generals stink!) and now getting ready to buy another set of tires @80K). Performance, well it's a 6 cylinder with a 5 speed, so it is not too bad. Plenty of power for around town driving, have not done much towing of heavy stuff. Had to have the tires aligned at 80K ... not bad. The interior is designed VERY WELL. It is very comfortable, layout is very good. Overall a great truck.

Number of cup holders, and how comfortable it is to drive long distances.

Fuel economy, I get 17.5-18.5 mpg no matter what. I got 20 ONCE on a road trip, must of had a tail wind.

Electrical problems
By patrick richardson

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Although I drive this truck a lot, 1,000 miles per week, it has always been serviced by the selling dealer according to schedule. Major problems. Transmission replaced before 1,000 miles. Differential wore out by 150,000 miles. Constant electrical problems and total incompetence by dealer and Ford, caused replacement of all engine sensors, vehicle computer, parts of the wiring harness and finally replacement of every wiring harness in the truck to correct problem of truck engine constantly shutting down during driving. Internal odometer lights still turn off and on at will. Electrical problems ran from 130,000 to 180,000 while they played with it.

Like the ride of the truck, interior design is good. Pulls a horse trailer well and effortlessly (didn't start pulling trailer until 190,000 miles, after all problems were resolved at my expense).

Electrical reliability poor.

Better Than Any Truck On The Road
By Kyle

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just turned 19, and my mom and dad bought me this truck 4 months ago after I flipped and totaled my '02 4-door Ranger Edge Plus. My mom has a 4.6, and I wasn't expecting my 5.4 to have that much more power. I was wrong. It is listed as having 260 HP, but I believe it has more. I have had some truck experts I know that say it pushes almost 300. The gas mileage is low, but considering the size of the engine, it is rather good. It gets much better mileage than my girlfriend's Avalanche. The body style is great, interior is also very stylish (do not get the leather, as it tears easier), no need for 4WD (I didn't need it, and I get through mud holes fine), it is a great, comfortable ride.

5.4L V8 that pushes more than said. Great towing capabilities. So powerful I haven't seen a use for 4WD. Extremely comfortable. Captain chairs. Great 6-cd changer and speakers. Tons of room. Great looking truck. (Mine's Emerald green with tan interior). Friends love it.

There are none.

F150 Supercrew
By john coward

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4dr SuperCrew XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Pretty much trouble free since new. Check engine light came on at about 10,000 miles and was repaired promptly. Needed front brakes at 25, 000 miles. Goodyear tires have poor wet traction.

Optional captain chairs are worth the price.

None.