Used 2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Excellent Truck
By norcalcountry

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my truck. Bought at 100k miles in 2007 and now has 224k on odometer but closer to 230k miles since I have had over sized tires since purchased. Only had one problem, the master window switch went out, other than that just basic maintenance items. Motor and tranny are original (5.4L V8 & 4 Speed Auto). It's seen a lot of dirt and towing miles and she has performed flawlessly. It's comfortable to drive for long trips. If you keep up the basic maintenance, it'll keep you on the road. Couldn't ask for a better truck!

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, nice rumble with Magnaflow exhaust, handles great in all weather conditions, bulletproof reliability.

99 F150 4x4 Lariat
By meyeste

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '99 F150 5.4l used with 48k. I have had it in the shop 2x - bad coil and a bad idler sensor. It now has 130 k miles and I am still pleased. What I like most is that it is comfortable to drive, and drives well. I also like the drive mode selector on the dash, it goes from 4x2 to 4x4 immediately; it's saved me in mid-fish tail a couple of times. Also whether 4x4 low or 4x4 high, when engaged in the front axle is locked in; both wheels are turning all the time, I've seen enough to know GM uses an open front axle by default in 4x4 high; good for driving on wet roads, bad for poor traction situations. I'll get another one when this one needs replacing.

Favorite Features

Driving dynamics, 4x4 characteristics, build quality, drive train reliability.

Suggested Improvements

All I could ask for is better mpg's, and it appears the new Ford's deliver on that.

Good Truck, but could be better
By doggybag

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since new in 2001 and, while I love my truck and only have about 85K, there are a few things that have gone wrong with it that, in my opinion, should not have. I do not use this vehicle commercially, have always well maintained it and condider myself to "baby" it. I have gone through two transmissions, two exhaust manifolds (both sides), a fuel pump, a coilover, and a recall for rusty gas tank straps. I find the undercarriage to have more rust that my two older Toyotas and the hinge on the tail gate has failed. When there is just a little frost on the truck, the power windows fail to operate and get stuck in the closed position. Long wheelbase equals a smooth ride

Favorite Features

Eight foot bed make it easy to fit just about anything you want to haul. Cabin and seating are comfortable, except for the half a bench seat in the rear. After nearly eleven years, paint finish is still bright and shiny.

Suggested Improvements

Could use better rust proofing, if not done so already and better gas mileage.

Built Ford tough!
By Brandon

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I recently bought this FORD F150 with 224,000 miles on it. The engine, transmission, interior, and exterior are all original. No problems with engine or transmission at all. I am amazed that after now 226,000 miles, she's still running strong. The inside is well laid out. Love my captain chairs, sunroof, leather seats, and the view from up in there. I currently have a 3 inch lift on it and I have literally gotten a compliment from EVERYONE I have shown it to. That's not an overstatement. This truck is darn good looking. The paint has a few scratches and is gone in a couple places. The drive train and everything else is working solid. They aren't kidding when they say Ford TOUGH!

Favorite Features

4x4-Wheel Drive, Body style and stance, leather seats, sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

5.4L engine leaves just a little to be desired. The bed of the truck is slightly curved so putting plywood in can sometimes be a challenge. Headlights are not very powerful, I often skid across the pavement when turning across lanes. I don't feel as though it's very stable in the back end.

Ford Makes the Best Trucks
By Akgirlie

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck after my 00' Chevy Silverado just kept giving me problem after problem! I had an F-150 before, and it didn't take me a year to trade it in for this one. I live in Alaska, and I need my 4x4. I love how reliable it is, even hitting 9 years old. I've had yet to have an engine or transmission problem on either of the ones I've owned. (this one has 107k, my old one had over 165k) I love how the bed is heavy enough that I never bother to put weight in the bed and I feel completely in control in blizzards and bad street conditions. Built Ford Tough is absolutley the truth!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, towing capability, it would be amazing if you got this truck in a spot you can't get out of, the power of the Triton 5.4 V8, the amazing heater!

Suggested Improvements

Turing radius could be improved a little bit.