Used 2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best truck I have ever owned.
By Brandon

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2001 XLT, 2WD, 4.2, 5 speed in 2004. It's now 2016, and this truck still runs like a clock at 175k miles. The only thing I have ever done is change the oil, and air filter, plus other regular maintenance. This truck owes me nothing, and has paid for itself. I did put new plugs in it at around 100k , new ball joints and all tie rod ends in at around 150k. I get 15mpg city., and 19mpg on the highway. It is starting to look old-school, so, I priced new trucks, but they offer the same mileage. I have decided to keep what I have paid-off years ago, and only costs me fuel and nickel-and-dime maintenance. The engine and 5speed manual tranny sound like they are new, still. The headlights are starting to fog over after 16 years, so I'm going to have to spend $38 on a restore kit.
I know that tomorrow I can jump in this truck and drive across the country, if I had to, and there would be no issues.

Excellent Truck
By norcalcountry

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my truck.
Bought at 100k miles in 2007 and now has 224k on odometer but closer to 230k miles since I have had over sized tires since purchased.
Only had one problem, the master window switch went out, other than that just basic maintenance items.
Motor and tranny are original (5.4L V8 & 4 Speed Auto).
It's seen a lot of dirt and towing miles and she has performed flawlessly.
It's comfortable to drive for long trips.
If you keep up the basic maintenance, it'll keep you on the road.
Couldn't ask for a better truck!

Comfortable to drive, nice rumble with Magnaflow exhaust, handles great in all weather conditions, bulletproof reliability.

99 F150 4x4 Lariat
By meyeste

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '99 F150 5.4l used with 48k. I have had it in the shop 2x - bad coil and a bad idler sensor. It now has 130 k miles and I am still pleased. What I like most is that it is comfortable to drive, and drives well. I also like the drive mode selector on the dash, it goes from 4x2 to 4x4 immediately; it's saved me in mid-fish tail a couple of times. Also whether 4x4 low or 4x4 high, when engaged in the front axle is locked in; both wheels are turning all the time, I've seen enough to know GM uses an open front axle by default in 4x4 high; good for driving on wet roads, bad for poor traction situations. I'll get another one when this one needs replacing.

Driving dynamics, 4x4 characteristics, build quality, drive train reliability.

All I could ask for is better mpg's, and it appears the new Ford's deliver on that.

Good Truck, but could be better
By doggybag

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since new in 2001 and, while I love my truck and only have about 85K, there are a few things that have gone wrong with it that, in my opinion, should not have. I do not use this vehicle commercially, have always well maintained it and condider myself to "baby" it.
I have gone through two transmissions, two exhaust manifolds (both sides), a fuel pump, a coilover, and a recall for rusty gas tank straps. I find the undercarriage to have more rust that my two older Toyotas and the hinge on the tail gate has failed. When there is just a little frost on the truck, the power windows fail to operate and get stuck in the closed position. Long wheelbase equals a smooth ride

Eight foot bed make it easy to fit just about anything you want to haul. Cabin and seating are comfortable, except for the half a bench seat in the rear. After nearly eleven years, paint finish is still bright and shiny.

Could use better rust proofing, if not done so already and better gas mileage.

Built Ford tough!
By Brandon

2001 Ford F-150 SuperCab 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I recently bought this FORD F150 with 224,000 miles on it. The engine, transmission, interior, and exterior are all original. No problems with engine or transmission at all. I am amazed that after now 226,000 miles, she's still running strong. The inside is well laid out. Love my captain chairs, sunroof, leather seats, and the view from up in there. I currently have a 3 inch lift on it and I have literally gotten a compliment from EVERYONE I have shown it to. That's not an overstatement. This truck is darn good looking. The paint has a few scratches and is gone in a couple places. The drive train and everything else is working solid. They aren't kidding when they say Ford TOUGH!

4x4-Wheel Drive, Body style and stance, leather seats, sunroof.

5.4L engine leaves just a little to be desired. The bed of the truck is slightly curved so putting plywood in can sometimes be a challenge. Headlights are not very powerful, I often skid across the pavement when turning across lanes. I don't feel as though it's very stable in the back end.