2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
First Pick-up, can't go wrong
By adamriddle79 on 01/18/14 12:59 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 F-150 4.2L 6-cyl. My dad bought it in 2002 with about 15,000 miles on it. He ran it for 12 years loaded with all of his work equipment, which was a pretty heavy load. When I got it about 2 months ago it had 285,000 miles on it. As of now it has almost 289,000 miles on it and I'm confident I can get it to 350,000 miles easy. Original engine and tranny. The only things that have been replaced is the rotors, oil pump, drive shaft, and basic maintenance. Last month I ran it into a guide rail and other than a broken headlight and a bent bumper it was fine. I rely on this truck to get me to work and college on a daily basis. Very sturdy and reliable.

Built Ford tough is not just a slogan
By monday75 on 06/02/13 17:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 220,000 miles on it and it just keeps on going strong. Minimal maintenance costs. Well built truck. Replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, brake pads and tires. Thats it. Awesome truck.

My Tonka Truck
By bgardn3 on 07/20/10 06:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Ordered it new with everything I wanted. After 10 years I still get compliments when I gas up or park somewhere. Only repair was an intake manifold gasket twice. Should have been once but the dealer did not replace the bolts at the time and since then it is a recommended part of this repair. I did do the brakes once but this is required on all vehicles. I will keep it for a good long time. It is fun to drive in snow as it sits so high. Wife complains "it's hard to get up into" and that adds to the appeal. They are really bullet proof.

Best I've owned
By M on 01/07/09 20:34 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best truck I've ever owned. Sometimes I wish it wasn't so reliable so I could justify buying something newer. With 115,000 miles it still has the original spark plugs, coils, alternator, shocks, etc, and gets just shy of 18 mpg on the highway. I've never been crazy about the styling (exterior or interior) but it drives well and is very comfortable.

Good basic truck
By jrm on 10/18/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

120k miles, only minor problems. Have replaced the clutch and a set of tires (original brake pads still going strong!). Mazda 5-speed is not a smooth shifter but has been a solid gearbox. V6 is noisy and doesn't have a lot of power but seems to be a solid little engine, no issues with it at all in 7 years/120k miles. Did have a lean condition due to upper intake gaskets, but that was easily fixed in an afternoon with $60 of parts.

Big Positive Surprises for Me
By MustangGT on 04/14/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

XLT short box. It just keeps on running. Now past 120,000 miles and I started with 12,000 so I got my money's worth. One set of tires, another coming up soon, 3 batteries, one super set of brakes, better check on them again too. But that's it, in 108,000 miles except for the 30 oil changes. 17 mpg with the a/c running. 19 mpg driving real nice without the a/c. Great truck that just keeps surprising me overall with reliability. Had one ton in the bed once, the nose was up, but I made it the 12 miles needed. If there is a bad point, I don't like it in the rain. It's a squirrel. As long as its dry, this truck has surpassed my expectations.

2001 Sport
By Mike on 05/28/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new when I started college. Never had a problem with the truck, can't say the same about college. I still drive it everyday to and from work; it still feels and has the reliability it did when it was brand new. Can't wait to pay off my student loans so I can buy a new one.

Garbage
By Bob on 05/07/06 15:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Rust all along lower front doors found at 2 years old. Dealer has repainted 3 times. Now the hood is bubbling too! Rear drivers wheel locked up at 35mph due to emergency brake shoe coming apart. Then 1 year later the passenger rear emergency brake locked up the same way. The shoe material separates from the metal. We never used the emergency brake and nobody had ever worked on it. Heck this truck has less than 30k on it! Can't believe no recall on brakes that just lock up one tire at speed TWICE! Power mirror switch inoperable.

V6 XLT Sport
By Mike on 05/05/05 03:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Car has been very reliable and fun to drive. The only problem I ever had was the seat belt retract system on the driver side. Would like to see more power out of the V6 in the future.

same old Ford quality
By mike evens on 03/28/05 13:53 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Had very good luck with the newer styles compared to the 1995 styles in which I had a load of problems. Good design and a lot of engineering have improved the F150 2000%. Reliable, comfortable, and easy to drive.