Used 2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

First Pick-up, can't go wrong
By adamriddle79

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 F-150 4.2L 6-cyl. My dad bought it in 2002 with about 15,000 miles on it. He ran it for 12 years loaded with all of his work equipment, which was a pretty heavy load. When I got it about 2 months ago it had 285,000 miles on it. As of now it has almost 289,000 miles on it and I'm confident I can get it to 350,000 miles easy. Original engine and tranny. The only things that have been replaced is the rotors, oil pump, drive shaft, and basic maintenance. Last month I ran it into a guide rail and other than a broken headlight and a bent bumper it was fine. I rely on this truck to get me to work and college on a daily basis. Very sturdy and reliable.

Low maintenance, definetly built Ford tough, pretty good mpg for an older truck.

Built Ford tough is not just a slogan
By monday75

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 220,000 miles on it and it just keeps on going strong. Minimal maintenance costs. Well built truck. Replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, brake pads and tires. Thats it. Awesome truck.

My Tonka Truck
By bgardn3

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Ordered it new with everything I wanted. After 10 years I still get compliments when I gas up or park somewhere. Only repair was an intake manifold gasket twice. Should have been once but the dealer did not replace the bolts at the time and since then it is a recommended part of this repair. I did do the brakes once but this is required on all vehicles. I will keep it for a good long time. It is fun to drive in snow as it sits so high. Wife complains "it's hard to get up into" and that adds to the appeal. They are really bullet proof.

The flare side. Don't see many around anymore. It's a nice looking truck.

None

Best I've owned
By M

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best truck I've ever owned. Sometimes I wish it wasn't so reliable so I could justify buying something newer. With 115,000 miles it still has the original spark plugs, coils, alternator, shocks, etc, and gets just shy of 18 mpg on the highway. I've never been crazy about the styling (exterior or interior) but it drives well and is very comfortable.

Reliability, comfort

Needs more interior storage space (larger center console) Stereo is starting to show its age - difficulty adjusting volume. Paint on dash is beginning to fade.

Good basic truck
By jrm

2001 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

120k miles, only minor problems. Have replaced the clutch and a set of tires (original brake pads still going strong!). Mazda 5-speed is not a smooth shifter but has been a solid gearbox. V6 is noisy and doesn't have a lot of power but seems to be a solid little engine, no issues with it at all in 7 years/120k miles. Did have a lean condition due to upper intake gaskets, but that was easily fixed in an afternoon with $60 of parts.

Brakes, gas mileage (16-17 city, 18-19 highway); may sound like crappy mileage but that is real life mileage (with 3.55 gears even) and is damn good for a full size. Interior is excellent - yep it's hard plastic but it all fits right and dosen't squeak and it's tough.

Crappy plastic clutch hydraulics - release point always changes and had the slave spring a leak which left me on the side of the road. Ride can be harsh when unloaded but nothing compared to my LS1 Camaro. Rides like a Cadillac with a full load.