Used 2001 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Ford Makes the Best Trucks
By Akgirlie

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck after my 00' Chevy Silverado just kept giving me problem after problem! I had an F-150 before, and it didn't take me a year to trade it in for this one. I live in Alaska, and I need my 4x4. I love how reliable it is, even hitting 9 years old. I've had yet to have an engine or transmission problem on either of the ones I've owned. (this one has 107k, my old one had over 165k) I love how the bed is heavy enough that I never bother to put weight in the bed and I feel completely in control in blizzards and bad street conditions. Built Ford Tough is absolutley the truth!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, towing capability, it would be amazing if you got this truck in a spot you can't get out of, the power of the Triton 5.4 V8, the amazing heater!

Suggested Improvements

Turing radius could be improved a little bit.

Keeps on going
By nick

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck used with 54000 miles on it. It has severed me well. It has 178000 on it now. The trany went at 101000. After 75000 you should keep a extra ignition coil in the garage, you will need it. The 4x4 is amazing, I have never been stuck anywhere,and I go off road alot. She hauls an amazing amount of weight. I was looking to replace her,but I will hold on until the last heart beat.She's just that good.Change the oil every 3000 and trany 30000 and she'll treat you right.5.4L rocks, I can get 18 mph if I drive normal. It usually gets 16 mph.

Favorite Features

4x4 on the switch, cabin room, power,ease of maintainance

Suggested Improvements

Easier access to heater core.

Good old truck
By ray

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd F150 I have owned. This truck has been very good to me. The only problem was the recall on the crusie control. The truck has pulled my fifth wheel ever since I bought it. It pulls it very good. The last truck I had a 96 f150 was also very good to me. I also pulled with that one from day one. No prblems after 145,000 miles when I traded for this one. This truck is a lot better than my 2000 Chevy S10 I have. Piace of junk that one. I would tell anyone to buy a new F150 if they got a chance.

Favorite Features

Power, fit and finish, the whole truck

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Been Good to me
By Sean

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I must admit, this truck has been nothing short of bulletproof. I've got 96,000 on it, and it's been to the dealer once for a broken mounting stud on the rear cab glass. I attribute this to my maintenance and the fact I got a good one this time. You must change the tranny fluid on these trucks, it's a must. I've also found the Triton V8s like full synthetic oil. I also recommend getting one with the factory tow package, you get an auxiliary trans and oil cooler. All in all, a great truck with a good ride. I've also made some aftermarket improvements- 4" lift kit, shift kit, and new intake.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, easy to use climate controls, decent power, easy to work on (for the most part), great availability of aftermarket parts.

Suggested Improvements

Ford - put zerk fittings on your ball joints and steering components. I know this is a big money maker for your service departments, but for guys like me who do everything themselves, it screams cheap and shady. And what were you thinking with the location of the spark plugs?

Great Truck!
By Scott

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love my F-150! It looks good, sits high, and runs great. I get 18-20 MPG on the HWY with the 6, but with gas rising I can't afford it anymore. Everything about this truck is great!

Favorite Features

The look.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof.