Used 2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Excellent Truck
By norcalcountry

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my truck. Bought at 100k miles in 2007 and now has 224k on odometer but closer to 230k miles since I have had over sized tires since purchased. Only had one problem, the master window switch went out, other than that just basic maintenance items. Motor and tranny are original (5.4L V8 & 4 Speed Auto). It's seen a lot of dirt and towing miles and she has performed flawlessly. It's comfortable to drive for long trips. If you keep up the basic maintenance, it'll keep you on the road. Couldn't ask for a better truck!

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, nice rumble with Magnaflow exhaust, handles great in all weather conditions, bulletproof reliability.

First Pick-up, can't go wrong
By adamriddle79

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 F-150 4.2L 6-cyl. My dad bought it in 2002 with about 15,000 miles on it. He ran it for 12 years loaded with all of his work equipment, which was a pretty heavy load. When I got it about 2 months ago it had 285,000 miles on it. As of now it has almost 289,000 miles on it and I'm confident I can get it to 350,000 miles easy. Original engine and tranny. The only things that have been replaced is the rotors, oil pump, drive shaft, and basic maintenance. Last month I ran it into a guide rail and other than a broken headlight and a bent bumper it was fine. I rely on this truck to get me to work and college on a daily basis. Very sturdy and reliable.

Favorite Features

Low maintenance, definetly built Ford tough, pretty good mpg for an older truck.

Built Ford tough is not just a slogan
By monday75

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 220,000 miles on it and it just keeps on going strong. Minimal maintenance costs. Well built truck. Replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, brake pads and tires. Thats it. Awesome truck.

SuperCrew Spoils You
By predmon

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson 2WD Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Lariat with 5.4 that I bought in 2007 after my second son was born. This truck has a very comfortable ride with a great features such as the 6 disc CD player, leather seats. This truck allows me to put all 3 of my boys and their stuff in the cab along with tools and go to the farm. I fed cows daily out this truck during the 2010 winter with lots of mud never got stuck but sticky clay mud is very hard to clean up, I'm still getting mud out from under this truck 2 years later.

Favorite Features

I love the electronic 4 wheel drive switch, I always had manual hubs and a lever. I love how smooth the truck rides both on and off road. The seats are great and have held up very well, only one small tear in the drivers seat. I love the SuperCrew Option most of all and can't imagine owning a truck that is not a Crewcab now, it can serve as work truck and haul or tow or you can wash it up and take the family out on the town, vacation or to church. I can't say enough about! Ford really knows what customers want, mine was one of the first SuperCrews made and now everybody makes one. I will be buying another one, oneday, since it is not my main vehicle now, I do a lot of commuting now.

Suggested Improvements

Remove the plastic running boards these caused my truck to rust out along the rocker panel if that wasn't bad enough they don't sell replacement rocker panels for SuperCrews. I would like a little longer bed the 5.5 is to short, I have busted two rear windows hauling a 4 wheeler and as the body of the truck flexed the 4 wheeler came forward and busted out the rear window, the other time was a front tractor tire. Next truck will have a headache rack. Figure out how to make an engine that does consume 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles; that is within Ford Specs for this engine. I have owned many vehicles and never had this issue. The truck only has 170K and have had this problem since about 150K

2001 F-150 XLT SCrew, 4x4, AT, 5.4 Triton.
By norsechild76

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2011 with 185K on the odometer. It needed shocks and tires, also went through and did brakes, fluids and rebuilt the front end with Moog parts. Very happy with the truck and paid $5k for it. I expect to get 250K out of this truck without any issues. Front seat pad needs replaced, but that is expected.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, captains chairs, full-size rear door and power outlet in rear.