2001 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
First Pick-up, can't go wrong
By adamriddle79 on 01/18/14 12:59 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside LB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 F-150 4.2L 6-cyl. My dad bought it in 2002 with about 15,000 miles on it. He ran it for 12 years loaded with all of his work equipment, which was a pretty heavy load. When I got it about 2 months ago it had 285,000 miles on it. As of now it has almost 289,000 miles on it and I'm confident I can get it to 350,000 miles easy. Original engine and tranny. The only things that have been replaced is the rotors, oil pump, drive shaft, and basic maintenance. Last month I ran it into a guide rail and other than a broken headlight and a bent bumper it was fine. I rely on this truck to get me to work and college on a daily basis. Very sturdy and reliable.

Built Ford tough is not just a slogan
By monday75 on 06/02/13 17:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. I have over 220,000 miles on it and it just keeps on going strong. Minimal maintenance costs. Well built truck. Replaced the clutch and slave cylinder, brake pads and tires. Thats it. Awesome truck.

SuperCrew Spoils You
By predmon on 07/17/12 20:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Harley-Davidson 2WD Styleside SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Ford F150 Lariat with 5.4 that I bought in 2007 after my second son was born. This truck has a very comfortable ride with a great features such as the 6 disc CD player, leather seats. This truck allows me to put all 3 of my boys and their stuff in the cab along with tools and go to the farm. I fed cows daily out this truck during the 2010 winter with lots of mud never got stuck but sticky clay mud is very hard to clean up, I'm still getting mud out from under this truck 2 years later.

2001 F-150 XLT SCrew, 4x4, AT, 5.4 Triton.
By norsechild76 on 06/16/12 01:38 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2011 with 185K on the odometer. It needed shocks and tires, also went through and did brakes, fluids and rebuilt the front end with Moog parts. Very happy with the truck and paid $5k for it. I expect to get 250K out of this truck without any issues. Front seat pad needs replaced, but that is expected.

99 F150 4x4 Lariat
By meyeste on 04/03/12 12:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '99 F150 5.4l used with 48k. I have had it in the shop 2x - bad coil and a bad idler sensor. It now has 130 k miles and I am still pleased. What I like most is that it is comfortable to drive, and drives well. I also like the drive mode selector on the dash, it goes from 4x2 to 4x4 immediately; it's saved me in mid-fish tail a couple of times. Also whether 4x4 low or 4x4 high, when engaged in the front axle is locked in; both wheels are turning all the time, I've seen enough to know GM uses an open front axle by default in 4x4 high; good for driving on wet roads, bad for poor traction situations. I'll get another one when this one needs replacing.

Good Truck, but could be better
By doggybag on 01/05/12 21:45 PM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since new in 2001 and, while I love my truck and only have about 85K, there are a few things that have gone wrong with it that, in my opinion, should not have. I do not use this vehicle commercially, have always well maintained it and condider myself to "baby" it. I have gone through two transmissions, two exhaust manifolds (both sides), a fuel pump, a coilover, and a recall for rusty gas tank straps. I find the undercarriage to have more rust that my two older Toyotas and the hinge on the tail gate has failed. When there is just a little frost on the truck, the power windows fail to operate and get stuck in the closed position. Long wheelbase equals a smooth ride

Built Ford tough!
By Brandon on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I recently bought this FORD F150 with 224,000 miles on it. The engine, transmission, interior, and exterior are all original. No problems with engine or transmission at all. I am amazed that after now 226,000 miles, she's still running strong. The inside is well laid out. Love my captain chairs, sunroof, leather seats, and the view from up in there. I currently have a 3 inch lift on it and I have literally gotten a compliment from EVERYONE I have shown it to. That's not an overstatement. This truck is darn good looking. The paint has a few scratches and is gone in a couple places. The drive train and everything else is working solid. They aren't kidding when they say Ford TOUGH!

Great Truck
By RKMason on 09/05/10 08:26 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck used 1.5 years old w/22k mi. Now at 83k mi. Got 4WD for use launching and retrieving a boat, but found I rarely need to engage 4WD. With the 5.4 L V8 the truck is a great tow vehicle for a 4500 lb boat & trailer. We use the CrewCab as our primary vehicle carrying more than 2 people. The Lariat model interior makes travel very comfortable. Reliability has been good; IAC valve began to stick last winter and I have paint peeling off of some of the plastic dashboard panels. Gas mileage could be better but overall it's been a great vehicle for us.

My Tonka Truck
By bgardn3 on 07/20/10 06:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Ordered it new with everything I wanted. After 10 years I still get compliments when I gas up or park somewhere. Only repair was an intake manifold gasket twice. Should have been once but the dealer did not replace the bolts at the time and since then it is a recommended part of this repair. I did do the brakes once but this is required on all vehicles. I will keep it for a good long time. It is fun to drive in snow as it sits so high. Wife complains "it's hard to get up into" and that adds to the appeal. They are really bullet proof.

Ford Makes the Best Trucks
By Akgirlie on 04/26/10 21:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck after my 00' Chevy Silverado just kept giving me problem after problem! I had an F-150 before, and it didn't take me a year to trade it in for this one. I live in Alaska, and I need my 4x4. I love how reliable it is, even hitting 9 years old. I've had yet to have an engine or transmission problem on either of the ones I've owned. (this one has 107k, my old one had over 165k) I love how the bed is heavy enough that I never bother to put weight in the bed and I feel completely in control in blizzards and bad street conditions. Built Ford Tough is absolutley the truth!