Used 2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Will It Ever Wear Out
By Jerry H.

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I work for a construction company and travel all over the U.S. and average 42,000 miles per year. This truck has never left me stranded even when it had a pre-mature trasmission failture at 65K it still got me back to my home town. (I was 100 miles out) The transmission was replaced and the truck now has 301,500 miles on it and this transmission still is going strong, so I assume the 1st one was a unusual failure. The engine still runs strong but does use a quart of oil between changes, I have the oil changed every 3 to 4 K and the oil allways looks clean. I am going to keep driving it because when it is cleaned up it still looks like a new truck.

Favorite Features

Comfort and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More and better tie downs in the bed.

Good used truck buy for the money
By Chris

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck used. Love it. I just replaced the engine at 67000 miles (spun 4 bearings). Risks of buying used with no history. Other then that, the truck has been great. Lots of towing power (5.4 engine). Good cruiser. Owned many brand of trucks in the past, this one is the best.

Favorite Features

Leather interior with captain chairs are very comfortable. Great road vision all the way around the cab.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better back seat comfort. More angle for the back rest. 5.4 does drink a lot of gas.

It ain't bad but not fantastic
By plaid_britches

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

It is extremely reliable and for the miles on it, it has only needed one tranny service and currently is misfiring on cylinder 7. But with the miles and how much I pulled a trailer with it, it's a nice truck and it could sit a little higher, 17 inch wheels should be changed to another size maybe 18" because of the tire prices, 18s being cheaper, engine could use some more power, but overall it is a great truck.

Favorite Features

The seats are really comfortable and everything is right where you need it to be.

Suggested Improvements

Ground clearance has been an issue, the 17 inch wheels could be 18s because of tire prices (BFG long trail T/As). Engine could use more power and fuel filter could be relocated.

Well rounded vehicle
By forkd

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab LB

This is a truck with a luxury car ride. It is quiet, reliable and attractive. The engine, while not the most powerful, is quite powerful enough. I upgraded to a K&N air filter and the throttle response improved dramatically. I have changed the front brakes 4 times but that isn't too crazy. When the stock tires wore out I upgraded and the handling is incredible. The only problem I have is if the roads are icy it, like any pick up truck, has a tendency to slip and slide.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, responsive relaxing ride with great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Larger front disks/pads for longer life. I get +/- 14MPG city and <20MPG highway. 96,000 miles @ 15mpg = 6,400 gallons used. 6,400 gallons X $2.25/gallon (I'm in California) = $14,400 spent on fuel in 6 years or $2,400 per year. Larger front disks/pads for longer life.

200,000 miles later, got rear-ended
By Vic

2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Work 4dr Extended Cab SB

Wow! What a great (but plain) truck. If you need a cheap ride and don't mind the rubber floors, no cruise, no automatic -then this is your truck. Mine has nearly 200,000 miles on it and still runs perfectly! The body, however, was damaged beyond repair in a wreck three days ago. If a teenager hadn't hit me, my truck would be on the road today. I would buy my truck back if possible. It is that good! I bought it new with 15 miles on it. I did the usual maintenance, oil change at 5000 miles and fluid checks / changes when needed.

Favorite Features

Reliability, simple, tough.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.