Used 2000 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

A Long White Elephant!
By Rich MacKinnon

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I purchased this truck in Dec 2006- my old 93 Suburban totally blew out it's transmission and I needed a vehicle as my wife is in a wheelchair & she got in and out if the Suburban easily, as well as loading her chair. This truck was a spur-of-the-moment thing as I didn't think I'd get credit. I did and my wife hates this truck! She cannot get into it! - The passenger seat is almost 2 inches higher than the driver seat- seat top is a full 36 inches from teh ground! - The Odometer keeps coming on & off due to a crack in the soldering (a problem noted on F150.net) - Fuel economy stinks! My Suburban with that big 350 got an average of 16 to 18! This small-block V8 gets 12 mpg. - The ABS died

Forward visibility is great

The seats could have reclined better, the center armrest as well. The Rear Visibility is HORRIBLE! The engine is a pain to change sparkplugs- and now the ABS module died- repairs are more than this thing sells for in 2009!

Dependable, tough, minor issues
By jeff

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought new, now 82,000 miles (Driving this truck less now due to high gas prices). Only mechanical problem has been door actuators, which I have had to replace. Have used 4wd a lot with no problems. This has been a very reliable truck I can count on and even though is depreciating fast I have no plans to sell as long as it holds up. Rides like a big luxury car on highway. Is developing some rust at bottom inside of doors. Back seat is not comfortable for adults. Gas mileage is poor, 12/16.

Command of road, good handling, built Ford tough, reliable, hard to get stuck with LSD and 4wd

Change the back seat. improve gas mileage.

Best Trucks on the Road
By Larry

2000 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is the best truck out there. No problems with anything. One thing I have found the dealer does the best work on the truck. I am afraid to trade and buy another one as I can not get anything for this one and it is so reliable.

Tough and durable, do the p/m work and drive it. Nothing fancy about these trucks like the ride is a little rough but well worth it.

Fuel mileage but will sacrifice for the rest

Will It Ever Wear Out
By Jerry H.

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I work for a construction company and travel all over the U.S. and average 42,000 miles per year. This truck has never left me stranded even when it had a pre-mature trasmission failture at 65K it still got me back to my home town. (I was 100 miles out) The transmission was replaced and the truck now has 301,500 miles on it and this transmission still is going strong, so I assume the 1st one was a unusual failure. The engine still runs strong but does use a quart of oil between changes, I have the oil changed every 3 to 4 K and the oil allways looks clean. I am going to keep driving it because when it is cleaned up it still looks like a new truck.

Comfort and reliability.

More and better tie downs in the bed.

Good used truck buy for the money
By Chris

2000 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought the truck used. Love it. I just replaced the engine at 67000 miles (spun 4 bearings). Risks of buying used with no history. Other then that, the truck has been great. Lots of towing power (5.4 engine). Good cruiser. Owned many brand of trucks in the past, this one is the best.

Leather interior with captain chairs are very comfortable. Great road vision all the way around the cab.

Needs better back seat comfort. More angle for the back rest. 5.4 does drink a lot of gas.