Used 2000 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
2000 Ford F-150 XLT Ext. Cab - 2WD
By bobj824

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Power door locks failed at 37,000 miles, dealer would not do anything about this (I have since discovered that this is a very common problem). Seat belts are uncomfortable and difficult to use! Seats provide good support, but fabric is uncomfortable. Center armrest is very uncomfortable. Ride and noise is not nearly as good as my son's 2000 Dodge Ram!

Favorite Features

Like the dash layout, the 60-40 split front seat, and the split rear seat.

Suggested Improvements

Get a decent transmission! The automatic is rough shifting, and never seems to be in the correct gear for your needs!

4.2 6 cyl. not the best ford has made
By bob cracthet

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I like the truck over all. At 48k the motor blew. Spun bearing, bent rod, and bent valves. Ford put new one in and it blew the same day under their care. I have had the third one in for about 1k and no problems yet.I have had to put a new catalytic converter and the cross member on the trans.The gears need to be lower especially in 1st. But if I buy another it will be v8 and auto. Good truck, still rather have a GMC!

Favorite Features

affordable, roomy, and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

need to fix 4.2 problem, need lower gear in 1st.

Problems
By Ken H.

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I purchased this truck new and started hearing a whine in the rear end at less than 12000 miles. The ford dealer rebuilt the rear end. The whining started again about 20000 miles. Ford has rebuilt the rearend 2 times and replaced it 1 time. The rearend is whining again and I carried it in during warranty and was told that it is normal for this truck. It is now out of warranty and is getting louder and louder. It may be the transmission or something else. I am going to purchase a dodge next week.

Exceptionally High Number of Failures
By Ryan

2000 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

If I had not purchased the Ford version ESP Extended Service Protection to 75,000 miles, I would have paid over $8,000 in repairs. Failures within this mileage: air conditioning, steering pump, ALL tie rods (inner and outer), ABS antilock brake module, mass air sensor, both power door lock modules, ALL upper and lower ball joints, heavy RUST on both front doors inside at the bottom, RUSTED spark plugs and coil #6 at 74,000 miles when Ford says replacement at 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I like the height and the looks.

Suggested Improvements

Ford used extremely poor quality cheap parts in their production, especially bad tie rods.

4.2 under powered
By fennut

2000 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

I use this truck every day for installing fences It always gets the job done but the 4.2 V6 is under powered when truck is loaded or pulling a trailor

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive great gas mileage heavy springs

Suggested Improvements

Lower 1st gear + reverse