1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Review: Good truck

1999 Ford F-150 - Consumer Review

Work Regular Cab Pickup (4.2L V6 5-speed Manual)

Good truck
By Dan on

1999 Ford F-150 Work 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck for cheap a little over 2 years ago, knowing it needed a rear end. I had that done, then the auto trans went out! It seems the previous owner had seriously abused the truck by pulling overweight trailers (10,000+ pounds!) for long distances. Recently, the V6 engine's intake manifold gasket leaked, allowing a cylinder to fill with coolant. When I tried to start it the next time, it hydro-locked and bent the rod. The engine's being rebuilt. This truck has over 260,000 miles on it, and it was abused by the previous owner for many of those miles. Considering what I paid for it, and it's now basically a completely new drivetrain, I feel like I got a decent deal.

Body is in good shape, and the interior is, if plain, pretty decent. It drives well, and handles very well on the highway.

Ford has fixed the problem with the intake gaskets, and the transmissions have been redesigned.