Used 1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

I would buy again
By John

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced 3 ignition coils, all on the number 1 cylinder. I don't know why, but 3 on the same one seems kind of weird. I also had a fuel pump replaced last year. Other than that, it's been very reliable, and it's used in rough service. I have many short trips to and from work, and I often tow my boats with it. It has plenty of power, and it looks, rides, and runs like new.

Favorite Features

The interior room is amazing! Nothing comes close to it. I love the ride of this truck, and it's smooth, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage should be a bit better. At the worst I get 9mpg, and the best is 14+. Placement of the electronic 4x4 shift knob can be confused with the heater fan knob if you are not familiar with their locations. I would have preferred that the 4x4 shift knob be placed elsewhere.

Lots of known Defects - Both Coils & Plugs
By GreenShoes

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Work 4dr Extended Cab SB

It is a nice riding pickup with good ergonomics. HOWEVER, there are major known problems with this pickup and the 5.4L Triton engines that Ford refuses to correct without the customer paying for it. First, the ignition coils are VERY prone to fail. I have replaced 4 of them in the last 6 months - 2 being the same coil. There is also a problem with the spark plugs blowing out of the aluminum cylinder head on the passenger side. Again, Ford will not cover this under ANY warranty program and it is a WELL ESTABLISHED DEFECT. Lastly, since the 4 Wheel Drive disengagement spring is very weak,it will likely not shift out of 4 Wheel Hi Range unless you stop the vehicle and back up.

Favorite Features

If it worked, the 4 wheel shift on the fly.

Suggested Improvements

A) Ford should be honest and display integrity when dealing with well established design defects of their own making. B) Replacing reliable and economical items like a standard coil & plug set up, just to generate extra repair revenue is not the way to keep customers.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Favorite Features

Roominess, towing capacity, performance, and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for this 5.4 liter engine.

Bad Gaskets!
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 4dr Extended Cab LB

The truck has been fine and I've babied it for six years. In the past three years, it's been a third vehicle, so hasn't gotten much use. Now I discovered it needs a head gasket replaced! This is a $2,000 job and I find this unacceptable for a babied, 75,000-mile vehicle. Last Ford I will ever own.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, fuel economy, comfort.

Love my Ford Truck
By Great Truck

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought my truck from my father in law. His loss. It is a fantastic truck. No major problems. It is a four wheeling beast in the sand dunes. Never was a Ford fan before but my next truck will probably be a Ford again after my time spent with this one.

Favorite Features

Step side body style and 4x4 height make for an impressive exterior. Leather interior is comfortable even in the Texas sun. Smooth ride. Climbs sand dunes without any problems. I haven't customized my truck for 4x4ing; it was all done with stock. Big 5.4 V8 has plenty of power.