Used 1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Quarter of a million miles still OK
By karaokeman

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new, dealer installed lowering, 2" front, 3" rear, rides great, very fast, comfortable, easy access. Tricked out with $6,000 extras, snug top tonneau cover, air lifts, running boards, pin striping, etc., still get compliments on quality & looks. Never used 100,000 extended warrenty, however R & R differential at 158,000, and R & R radiator at 190,000. Otherwise just routine maintnance. Only disappointment is brakes, low pedal, too much effort, warp at drop of the hat, & early wearout until changed to drilled rotors & ceramic pads at 120,000...should have done this when new. With front end lowered, went through factory & top-of-the-line Big O with 28,000 to 33,000.

Leather/power interior very luxurious for a truck. Interior still tight, have to open window to slam door. After racing rotors & pads, brakes adequate. After up-grading to (one size over) Michelin "All Terrain" SUV tire, now get 55,000 to 65,000 miles.

Brakes not up to par, R & R fronts at 35,000, 70,000, 105,000, 160,000, 210,000, & ? 270,000...rears at 100,000 & 200,000... Trans filled new with Mobil One synthetic, after 250,000 still OK. Serviced engine every 5000 miles, started burning 1 qt,/1000 oil at 230,000, not bad...11 MPG overall.

Transmmission Issues
By unikeimage

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've had the truck for about 4 years. I bought the truck from my dad he bought it brand new in 99 and has always kept up with the maintenence. The truck never felt like it was shifting right. The first trans. went out at about 77k miles it has 177k know and the second trans. has gone out it was also a ford trans. installed @ a ford dealer. The truck was mainly driven by my wife and she has a light foot and is very easy on cars. The engine sounds great and other than minor things such as sensors and plugs its done a great job staying together. This will be the third transmission on this truck but now I went with a transmission expert hopefully this is the last transmission for this truck.

It looks great, also it has the captain seats in the front and they are comfortable on long rides and it can tow a lot of stuff.

Better transmissions please!The steering feels loose and it oversteers

Best truck on the road
By J.D. Tatum

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck is more than I actually believed it would be. 5.4L v-8 is strong. Great styling,great ride and for a 2WD will pull much better than I thought it would. I pull a 30',6000lb. travel trailer, 5-6 times per year and it pulls it like a much beefier truck. Fuel mileage is still in the 16 MPG range at 114,000 miles and I have not had replace anything other than normal wear and tear components. I have drive train serviced at end of each summer,trans. fluid looks as good as when it went in. oil changes reveal no surprises and the rear end fluid never needs it when I change it. even with the heavy-hauling the fuel mileage is decent. 8 year old truck and still gets the looks.

Great exterior styling, very good int. design, and the leather has held up well. Best riding truck I've ever owned.

LED odometer looks nice but is faulty and is pricey because it requires a full instrumentation R&R.

Everything but the plugs
By jasnjan

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Our F150 is 2WD and has the 4.6 Triton. I have been overall pleased with this motor. It has enough pep to haul me, my pianos, and my piano trailer once or twice a week. When it pulls a trailer I can count on about 14 mpg. Not loaded about 18 and up to 21 even. I pulled a car trailer and an old car home from Montana and it did great! My only gripe is the plugs. I didn't have one blow but had symptoms and took it in and had plugs, wires, the whole shoot and match for about $900. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing a head. If you don't catch that stuff, it sounds like real trouble.

Pep, sometimes it almost feels like a heavier Mustang. Comfortable interior, 4 dr cab is a huge improvement over my older 2 door cabs.

Fix those darn plug problems! When closing the main door onto the extended cab door, it feels a bit flimsy.

By northmi

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I've enjoyed my truck completely. It's done everything I've asked of it with comfort, convenience, and style.

I love that to date, this body style F150 is the most customizable truck, period. I enjoy the aerodynamic styling.

Change to a 5 or 6 speed automatic. Make a 5.4 with a manual tranny. Make a lightning extra cab.