1999 Ford F-150 Work Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

1999 F-150 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Sort Reviews by

Been an awesome truck for me!
By Ron

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck after it had over 100,000 highway miles on it. I have put about 25,000 more miles on it with a 'mix' of town and highway miles. This has been an awesome truck for me! No repairs, no bad points. A small V8, super cab, 4 wheel drive, and on the road it gets about 20 mpg. Great truck! Drives well, all options work, good cruise, comfortable, dependable, etc. I will keep using F150s, and this has really been a NICE truck for me. It could be the way it has been driven- with mostly highway miles, but really nice. Still uses NO oil, and drives like a dream. Hope I find another one like it when I finally wear this one out.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, dependable, well put together, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Find me another one just like it in about 5 years, and I will be even happier.

Great Truck!
By smith

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

We sold our 2004 Explorer last summer to buy our 1999 Ford F150. We love it - actually more than our Explorer. We bought it so we could pull a camper cross-country when we were moving. My family has always loved Fords but my husband was a Chevy man until this purchase. We pulled a 26' camper loaded with belongings through several mountain chains - when we started through the first set of mountains, my husband said if we make it all the way there with no problems, I'll be a Ford man. Not one problem! In fact, that was last July and we still have had no problems. We put new tires on it when we bought it and have had the tires rotated and oil changed - THAT'S IT! Highly recommend this model.

Favorite Features

It is such a comfortable ride - a tough, well built truck. I guess the reliability would be our favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

I would buy again
By John

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced 3 ignition coils, all on the number 1 cylinder. I don't know why, but 3 on the same one seems kind of weird. I also had a fuel pump replaced last year. Other than that, it's been very reliable, and it's used in rough service. I have many short trips to and from work, and I often tow my boats with it. It has plenty of power, and it looks, rides, and runs like new.

Favorite Features

The interior room is amazing! Nothing comes close to it. I love the ride of this truck, and it's smooth, and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage should be a bit better. At the worst I get 9mpg, and the best is 14+. Placement of the electronic 4x4 shift knob can be confused with the heater fan knob if you are not familiar with their locations. I would have preferred that the 4x4 shift knob be placed elsewhere.

1999 4WD 5.4 liter standard cab SB
By David Hine

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This has been a great truck. The only problem I have had is burnt out coils on the plugs. I have replaced three in four years which I guess isn't too bad.The 5.4 liter engine has great torque and has easily out run many Chevrolets with 5.7 liter engines. The ride quality is good but gas mileage really blows, I do good to get 14 miles per gallon in mixed driving. But the truck is still tight with no rattles at 71000 miles. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful, reliable truck.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, love the body style, good factory stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, better made coils.

Lots of known Defects - Both Coils & Plugs
By GreenShoes

1999 Ford F-150 Work 4dr Extended Cab SB

It is a nice riding pickup with good ergonomics. HOWEVER, there are major known problems with this pickup and the 5.4L Triton engines that Ford refuses to correct without the customer paying for it. First, the ignition coils are VERY prone to fail. I have replaced 4 of them in the last 6 months - 2 being the same coil. There is also a problem with the spark plugs blowing out of the aluminum cylinder head on the passenger side. Again, Ford will not cover this under ANY warranty program and it is a WELL ESTABLISHED DEFECT. Lastly, since the 4 Wheel Drive disengagement spring is very weak,it will likely not shift out of 4 Wheel Hi Range unless you stop the vehicle and back up.

Favorite Features

If it worked, the 4 wheel shift on the fly.

Suggested Improvements

A) Ford should be honest and display integrity when dealing with well established design defects of their own making. B) Replacing reliable and economical items like a standard coil & plug set up, just to generate extra repair revenue is not the way to keep customers.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Favorite Features

Roominess, towing capacity, performance, and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for this 5.4 liter engine.

Bad Gaskets!
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab LB

The truck has been fine and I've babied it for six years. In the past three years, it's been a third vehicle, so hasn't gotten much use. Now I discovered it needs a head gasket replaced! This is a $2,000 job and I find this unacceptable for a babied, 75,000-mile vehicle. Last Ford I will ever own.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, fuel economy, comfort.

Love my Ford Truck
By Great Truck

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought my truck from my father in law. His loss. It is a fantastic truck. No major problems. It is a four wheeling beast in the sand dunes. Never was a Ford fan before but my next truck will probably be a Ford again after my time spent with this one.

Favorite Features

Step side body style and 4x4 height make for an impressive exterior. Leather interior is comfortable even in the Texas sun. Smooth ride. Climbs sand dunes without any problems. I haven't customized my truck for 4x4ing; it was all done with stock. Big 5.4 V8 has plenty of power.

An excellent pick up truck
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I have had NO problems with this vehicle. I moved from LA to then moved back to AL and coming back I towed another vehicle behind me. As you can imagine going through the Rocky Mountains towing a car behind me might seem difficult. But not this truck. It held its own and then some with the flow of traffic. No problems going UP mountains. A/C,P/W,P/L all still work fine. Killer Stereo. As you can tell I crazy in love with my F150 XLT Triton V8 truck!

Favorite Features

The COMFORT, AC, POWER ... I guess you could say the whole package!

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything that would improve on what is already offered.

Fine Ford Product
By George

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck three years ago with 67,000 miles. It has been GREAT! Only repairs were a rebuilt alternator, and brake disks, front. Otherwise, it hasn't missed a lick, great seats, decent mileage. Ride is a little bouncy without a load, but less than my neighbors nearly new Dodge 4 x 4. Would definitely buy it again.

Suggested Improvements

Could stand help with the ride, but I guess Ford knows that, given recent improvements; still, it's better than most.