1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews 2

Date Most Helpful Rating
Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

Favorite Features

Reliability of engine. Transmission has been sweet too, but have not towed anything and I changed transmission fluid every 30-35k.

Suggested Improvements

The electical sysem is possessed and the brak pads and rotors must be bigger!! How about some squeekers on the thr rotors! First set of brakes wore out at 7000 miles! replaced ten, yes 10, sets of front brake pads, but not s single set of rear brake brakes!!!!

Bad Tranny
By chuck

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is a well designed and solid built truck. Every thing is tight and working well after ten years. The only problem and it is a big problem is the transmission had the famous Ford shudder when trying to lock up. I have bought two new Ford SUVs but after this I will not buy another Ford after such a fatal flaw. If you have not had the shudder yet, it is coming.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, paint, AC.

Suggested Improvements

Ford knew this trans design was flawed back in the early 90s but continued to use it through 2003.

242,000 miles and still going strong
By Bennett

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with over 110,000 miles on the 5.4 Liter engine for $6,000 5 years ago. The guy that owned it before me towed flat bed trailers loaded with steel across country for a living. I was scared as heck to buy it, but I've always been a Ford man so went by faith. Well I've got 242,000 miles on the engine and all is great. Not near as snappy off the block or as tight, but I can still press the gas in congested driving situations and blow the doors off anyone. I love this truck so much. I'm about to buy my next used Ford F150 Lariat with a 100,000 miles on it. Embarrassed to say, but I've let the engine run out of oil at least 3 times (dry as a bone). Oe tough engine!

I love this truck
By joe

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck from my father 3 years ago. I love it. Besides normal maintanance the only thing that has gone wrong with it is the alternator died in it at about 150,000 miles. It now has 185 and I still get 18-20 mpg from my 4.2 v6. My father has an 07 Ram with the 4.7 v8 and my truck can tow the same things and haul what it does all with 2 less cylinders and I pay almost 15 bucks less a week for gas and I got a bigger gas tank. I can go close to 600 miles on a tank

Favorite Features

I think that this truck is very easy to work on

Suggested Improvements

None at this time

Quarter of a million miles still OK
By karaokeman

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new, dealer installed lowering, 2" front, 3" rear, rides great, very fast, comfortable, easy access. Tricked out with $6,000 extras, snug top tonneau cover, air lifts, running boards, pin striping, etc., still get compliments on quality & looks. Never used 100,000 extended warrenty, however R & R differential at 158,000, and R & R radiator at 190,000. Otherwise just routine maintnance. Only disappointment is brakes, low pedal, too much effort, warp at drop of the hat, & early wearout until changed to drilled rotors & ceramic pads at 120,000...should have done this when new. With front end lowered, went through factory & top-of-the-line Big O with 28,000 to 33,000.

Favorite Features

Leather/power interior very luxurious for a truck. Interior still tight, have to open window to slam door. After racing rotors & pads, brakes adequate. After up-grading to (one size over) Michelin "All Terrain" SUV tire, now get 55,000 to 65,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes not up to par, R & R fronts at 35,000, 70,000, 105,000, 160,000, 210,000, & ? 270,000...rears at 100,000 & 200,000... Trans filled new with Mobil One synthetic, after 250,000 still OK. Serviced engine every 5000 miles, started burning 1 qt,/1000 oil at 230,000, not bad...11 MPG overall.

Transmmission Issues
By unikeimage

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've had the truck for about 4 years. I bought the truck from my dad he bought it brand new in 99 and has always kept up with the maintenence. The truck never felt like it was shifting right. The first trans. went out at about 77k miles it has 177k know and the second trans. has gone out it was also a ford trans. installed @ a ford dealer. The truck was mainly driven by my wife and she has a light foot and is very easy on cars. The engine sounds great and other than minor things such as sensors and plugs its done a great job staying together. This will be the third transmission on this truck but now I went with a transmission expert hopefully this is the last transmission for this truck.

Favorite Features

It looks great, also it has the captain seats in the front and they are comfortable on long rides and it can tow a lot of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions please!The steering feels loose and it oversteers

Best truck on the road
By J.D. Tatum

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck is more than I actually believed it would be. 5.4L v-8 is strong. Great styling,great ride and for a 2WD will pull much better than I thought it would. I pull a 30',6000lb. travel trailer, 5-6 times per year and it pulls it like a much beefier truck. Fuel mileage is still in the 16 MPG range at 114,000 miles and I have not had replace anything other than normal wear and tear components. I have drive train serviced at end of each summer,trans. fluid looks as good as when it went in. oil changes reveal no surprises and the rear end fluid never needs it when I change it. even with the heavy-hauling the fuel mileage is decent. 8 year old truck and still gets the looks.

Favorite Features

Great exterior styling, very good int. design, and the leather has held up well. Best riding truck I've ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

LED odometer looks nice but is faulty and is pricey because it requires a full instrumentation R&R.

Everything but the plugs
By jasnjan

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Our F150 is 2WD and has the 4.6 Triton. I have been overall pleased with this motor. It has enough pep to haul me, my pianos, and my piano trailer once or twice a week. When it pulls a trailer I can count on about 14 mpg. Not loaded about 18 and up to 21 even. I pulled a car trailer and an old car home from Montana and it did great! My only gripe is the plugs. I didn't have one blow but had symptoms and took it in and had plugs, wires, the whole shoot and match for about $900. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing a head. If you don't catch that stuff, it sounds like real trouble.

Favorite Features

Pep, sometimes it almost feels like a heavier Mustang. Comfortable interior, 4 dr cab is a huge improvement over my older 2 door cabs.

Suggested Improvements

Fix those darn plug problems! When closing the main door onto the extended cab door, it feels a bit flimsy.

By northmi

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I've enjoyed my truck completely. It's done everything I've asked of it with comfort, convenience, and style.

Favorite Features

I love that to date, this body style F150 is the most customizable truck, period. I enjoy the aerodynamic styling.

Suggested Improvements

Change to a 5 or 6 speed automatic. Make a 5.4 with a manual tranny. Make a lightning extra cab.

This Truck is a Hazard to life and limb
By Thingriz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

The front left tire has fallen off three times due to ungreasable pressed in steering components. All Ford replacement parts and all of poor quality. One control arm didn't last a year. That was the time I had just finished driving to work at 65MPH and as I pulled in the hospital parking lot the wheel fell off, blocking the entrance. Real nice. Yesterday the brakes went out...period. The thing goes through coils at the rate of one or more a year. The hood latch broke. I had to take the spare tire out to replace the shocks - that stupid system was broke right from the factory. The 4wheel drive is broke, I don't know why yet. I suspect an engage motor. I could go on but no more letters to use!

Favorite Features

The stereo, but that cost me $7,000 USD and doesn't have the Ford logo anywhere on it.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to greaseable parts that last. Spend a few extra bucks on some stainless steel lines. Fire anybody who worked on this truck from research to assembly.