Used 1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Good truck
By Dan

1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Work 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck for cheap a little over 2 years ago, knowing it needed a rear end. I had that done, then the auto trans went out! It seems the previous owner had seriously abused the truck by pulling overweight trailers (10,000+ pounds!) for long distances. Recently, the V6 engine's intake manifold gasket leaked, allowing a cylinder to fill with coolant. When I tried to start it the next time, it hydro-locked and bent the rod. The engine's being rebuilt. This truck has over 260,000 miles on it, and it was abused by the previous owner for many of those miles. Considering what I paid for it, and it's now basically a completely new drivetrain, I feel like I got a decent deal.

Favorite Features

Body is in good shape, and the interior is, if plain, pretty decent. It drives well, and handles very well on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Ford has fixed the problem with the intake gaskets, and the transmissions have been redesigned.

Hard truck to kill.
By Hybris

1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Great truck overall, it may not have the power or ride of the newer truck but in brute reliability this truck has done me well. Its a truck with a 2v 5.4 so good mileage is not a goal to reach for but I can hit 15 mpg if I baby it. In terms of power it still has lots of get up and go and will easily pull my 7900lb car carrier in the hills of Kansas. On maintenance it can be hard to do somethings like change out plugs because of how tight the engine bay is but otherwise its a good way for a beginning DIY person to learn how to work on a truck. The interior is in my experience indestructible save for the cloth seats which are a wear item anyway. I will never have a truck without Vinyl floors.

Favorite Features

Good power, indestructible interior, reasonably easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had gotten a late model 99 with four wheel disc brakes. Would also like to see frame mounted running boards or Nerf bars as a possible aftermarket accessory.

1999 4WD 5.4 liter standard cab SB
By David Hine

1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This has been a great truck. The only problem I have had is burnt out coils on the plugs. I have replaced three in four years which I guess isn't too bad.The 5.4 liter engine has great torque and has easily out run many Chevrolets with 5.7 liter engines. The ride quality is good but gas mileage really blows, I do good to get 14 miles per gallon in mixed driving. But the truck is still tight with no rattles at 71000 miles. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful, reliable truck.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, love the body style, good factory stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better mileage, better made coils.

Solid truck 99 XL
By E.K.

1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am happy with my truck purchase. I researched the small & full sized trucks and had to consider the F-150 since it is the most popular vehicle ever built. The XL is the low end model but the interior is still quite nice. I have had to replace to ABS sensor for the rear brakes for about $21. No other problems yet. Seems very well built. I like the new F-150 also and may trade up in a year or two.

Favorite Features

Grill & hood lines. Factory bedliner. Advertising, Toby Keith Ford truck man commercial.

Shays Truck
By Shays Man

1999 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I truly love my truck but the only thing I can think of is my upper and lower control arms are starting to pop and I think that whould have been a issue that should been handled from the factory.

Suggested Improvements

I think the V6 needs much more towing power.