Used 1999 Ford F-150 XLT Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

What the Heck?
By Ricky

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Took a chance and bought this F150 xlt w/ a 4.2 v6 engine w/ 77500 miles on it. Being a Ford truck, I expected at least 200,000 miles out of it. Only got 115,000 before the engine threw a rod. I babied the truck above and beyond what it was called for. During my three years of ownership, replaced 4 tires, o2 sensor, alternator ($600),belts, 2 sets of sparksplugs. And the worst of all, $2900 for a whole new front suspension. Plus alot of little things that adds up to alot of money. I know when you by a used car or truck, you are going to spend a little money to bring it up to standard. But, come on that much on a Ford truck. I'm very disappoint and looking for a different truck.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, handle real nice on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the engines

Bad Tranny
By chuck

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is a well designed and solid built truck. Every thing is tight and working well after ten years. The only problem and it is a big problem is the transmission had the famous Ford shudder when trying to lock up. I have bought two new Ford SUVs but after this I will not buy another Ford after such a fatal flaw. If you have not had the shudder yet, it is coming.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, paint, AC.

Suggested Improvements

Ford knew this trans design was flawed back in the early 90s but continued to use it through 2003.

Everything but the plugs
By jasnjan

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Our F150 is 2WD and has the 4.6 Triton. I have been overall pleased with this motor. It has enough pep to haul me, my pianos, and my piano trailer once or twice a week. When it pulls a trailer I can count on about 14 mpg. Not loaded about 18 and up to 21 even. I pulled a car trailer and an old car home from Montana and it did great! My only gripe is the plugs. I didn't have one blow but had symptoms and took it in and had plugs, wires, the whole shoot and match for about $900. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing a head. If you don't catch that stuff, it sounds like real trouble.

Favorite Features

Pep, sometimes it almost feels like a heavier Mustang. Comfortable interior, 4 dr cab is a huge improvement over my older 2 door cabs.

Suggested Improvements

Fix those darn plug problems! When closing the main door onto the extended cab door, it feels a bit flimsy.

This Truck is a Hazard to life and limb
By Thingriz

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

The front left tire has fallen off three times due to ungreasable pressed in steering components. All Ford replacement parts and all of poor quality. One control arm didn't last a year. That was the time I had just finished driving to work at 65MPH and as I pulled in the hospital parking lot the wheel fell off, blocking the entrance. Real nice. Yesterday the brakes went out...period. The thing goes through coils at the rate of one or more a year. The hood latch broke. I had to take the spare tire out to replace the shocks - that stupid system was broke right from the factory. The 4wheel drive is broke, I don't know why yet. I suspect an engage motor. I could go on but no more letters to use!

Favorite Features

The stereo, but that cost me $7,000 USD and doesn't have the Ford logo anywhere on it.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to greaseable parts that last. Spend a few extra bucks on some stainless steel lines. Fire anybody who worked on this truck from research to assembly.

Great Truck!
By smith

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

We sold our 2004 Explorer last summer to buy our 1999 Ford F150. We love it - actually more than our Explorer. We bought it so we could pull a camper cross-country when we were moving. My family has always loved Fords but my husband was a Chevy man until this purchase. We pulled a 26' camper loaded with belongings through several mountain chains - when we started through the first set of mountains, my husband said if we make it all the way there with no problems, I'll be a Ford man. Not one problem! In fact, that was last July and we still have had no problems. We put new tires on it when we bought it and have had the tires rotated and oil changed - THAT'S IT! Highly recommend this model.

Favorite Features

It is such a comfortable ride - a tough, well built truck. I guess the reliability would be our favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

NONE!