Used 1999 Ford F-150 Lariat Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Good truck
By Ralph

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I looked high and low and found my 99 F150 lariat, extended cab, 3 door, 5.4 Triton. I love the design. My truck rund and drives great, Gas mileage not so good for a daily driver. I average 14 Mpg. Lots of power, and pickup. The only thing I have done is regular oil changes, and tire rotation. I did replace the front break pads. It was very easy. If you're looking for a good truck, Ford makes one.

Favorite Features

3rd door, sits up high, quiet engine, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

I know I have a huge engine, but gas mileage is terrible.

awesome truck
By jb

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

This truck now has 290,000 miles on it and I still drive it everyday. I put 285 bfg's on it and I still get about 13 mpg. I have replaced a few coils, but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. I kept thinking it would crap out, but it's still running strong. Ford finally did something right.

Favorite Features

still looks good, glad you can fit 285's at stock height, just trim the plastic airdam.

Suggested Improvements

Move the 4X4 knob..... it is way too close to the a/c controls.

242,000 miles and still going strong
By Bennett

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with over 110,000 miles on the 5.4 Liter engine for $6,000 5 years ago. The guy that owned it before me towed flat bed trailers loaded with steel across country for a living. I was scared as heck to buy it, but I've always been a Ford man so went by faith. Well I've got 242,000 miles on the engine and all is great. Not near as snappy off the block or as tight, but I can still press the gas in congested driving situations and blow the doors off anyone. I love this truck so much. I'm about to buy my next used Ford F150 Lariat with a 100,000 miles on it. Embarrassed to say, but I've let the engine run out of oil at least 3 times (dry as a bone). Oe tough engine!

Quarter of a million miles still OK
By karaokeman

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new, dealer installed lowering, 2" front, 3" rear, rides great, very fast, comfortable, easy access. Tricked out with $6,000 extras, snug top tonneau cover, air lifts, running boards, pin striping, etc., still get compliments on quality & looks. Never used 100,000 extended warrenty, however R & R differential at 158,000, and R & R radiator at 190,000. Otherwise just routine maintnance. Only disappointment is brakes, low pedal, too much effort, warp at drop of the hat, & early wearout until changed to drilled rotors & ceramic pads at 120,000...should have done this when new. With front end lowered, went through factory & top-of-the-line Big O with 28,000 to 33,000.

Favorite Features

Leather/power interior very luxurious for a truck. Interior still tight, have to open window to slam door. After racing rotors & pads, brakes adequate. After up-grading to (one size over) Michelin "All Terrain" SUV tire, now get 55,000 to 65,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes not up to par, R & R fronts at 35,000, 70,000, 105,000, 160,000, 210,000, & ? 270,000...rears at 100,000 & 200,000... Trans filled new with Mobil One synthetic, after 250,000 still OK. Serviced engine every 5000 miles, started burning 1 qt,/1000 oil at 230,000, not bad...11 MPG overall.

Transmmission Issues
By unikeimage

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've had the truck for about 4 years. I bought the truck from my dad he bought it brand new in 99 and has always kept up with the maintenence. The truck never felt like it was shifting right. The first trans. went out at about 77k miles it has 177k know and the second trans. has gone out it was also a ford trans. installed @ a ford dealer. The truck was mainly driven by my wife and she has a light foot and is very easy on cars. The engine sounds great and other than minor things such as sensors and plugs its done a great job staying together. This will be the third transmission on this truck but now I went with a transmission expert hopefully this is the last transmission for this truck.

Favorite Features

It looks great, also it has the captain seats in the front and they are comfortable on long rides and it can tow a lot of stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmissions please!The steering feels loose and it oversteers