Used 1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Ford in Front
By john

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought this truck in 02 with 55,000 miles, great looking, still get compliments. Runs great, 200,000 mi, only changed one coil pack and 2 alternators. Some cold weather knock as of late but thats been all. Very happy and will stay with Ford, although never had Chevy truck trouble either. 4WD works great, tows good, breaking with trailer less than optimal as rear drum breaks are on this truck.

Favorite Features

Height of truck, stock 4x4 sits high and proud. Sounds great with cat converters only.

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel disc on this model

Well pleased with it
By Charles

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in late 1999. It has been a great truck. Has 82,000 miles and I replaced the front brake pads at about 70,000 and replaced the drivers electric door lock at around 50,000. Has all the power I need (5.4 engine). Gas mileage is 14-17 mpg. I have owned 2 new Ford, and 4 new Chevy trucks in my life and while I liked both I have to give Ford the edge in quality in these 6 trucks.

Favorite Features

quality, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Softer ride on 4x4. Improve MPG by 2-3.

Awesome Truck!
By Hayden

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

Favorite Features

SVT Lightning wheels, lowered suspension, magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and the growl when you step on the throttle!

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission (Had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles), and fix the coil on plug problem.

Good truck
By Ralph

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I looked high and low and found my 99 F150 lariat, extended cab, 3 door, 5.4 Triton. I love the design. My truck rund and drives great, Gas mileage not so good for a daily driver. I average 14 Mpg. Lots of power, and pickup. The only thing I have done is regular oil changes, and tire rotation. I did replace the front break pads. It was very easy. If you're looking for a good truck, Ford makes one.

Favorite Features

3rd door, sits up high, quiet engine, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

I know I have a huge engine, but gas mileage is terrible.

What the Heck?
By Ricky

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Took a chance and bought this F150 xlt w/ a 4.2 v6 engine w/ 77500 miles on it. Being a Ford truck, I expected at least 200,000 miles out of it. Only got 115,000 before the engine threw a rod. I babied the truck above and beyond what it was called for. During my three years of ownership, replaced 4 tires, o2 sensor, alternator ($600),belts, 2 sets of sparksplugs. And the worst of all, $2900 for a whole new front suspension. Plus alot of little things that adds up to alot of money. I know when you by a used car or truck, you are going to spend a little money to bring it up to standard. But, come on that much on a Ford truck. I'm very disappoint and looking for a different truck.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, handle real nice on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the engines