1999 Ford F-150 Work Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Ford in Front
By john

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought this truck in 02 with 55,000 miles, great looking, still get compliments. Runs great, 200,000 mi, only changed one coil pack and 2 alternators. Some cold weather knock as of late but thats been all. Very happy and will stay with Ford, although never had Chevy truck trouble either. 4WD works great, tows good, breaking with trailer less than optimal as rear drum breaks are on this truck.

Favorite Features

Height of truck, stock 4x4 sits high and proud. Sounds great with cat converters only.

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel disc on this model

Well pleased with it
By Charles

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in late 1999. It has been a great truck. Has 82,000 miles and I replaced the front brake pads at about 70,000 and replaced the drivers electric door lock at around 50,000. Has all the power I need (5.4 engine). Gas mileage is 14-17 mpg. I have owned 2 new Ford, and 4 new Chevy trucks in my life and while I liked both I have to give Ford the edge in quality in these 6 trucks.

Favorite Features

quality, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Softer ride on 4x4. Improve MPG by 2-3.

Awesome Truck!
By Hayden

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

Favorite Features

SVT Lightning wheels, lowered suspension, magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and the growl when you step on the throttle!

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission (Had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles), and fix the coil on plug problem.

Good truck
By Ralph

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I looked high and low and found my 99 F150 lariat, extended cab, 3 door, 5.4 Triton. I love the design. My truck rund and drives great, Gas mileage not so good for a daily driver. I average 14 Mpg. Lots of power, and pickup. The only thing I have done is regular oil changes, and tire rotation. I did replace the front break pads. It was very easy. If you're looking for a good truck, Ford makes one.

Favorite Features

3rd door, sits up high, quiet engine, good looks.

Suggested Improvements

I know I have a huge engine, but gas mileage is terrible.

What the Heck?
By Ricky

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Took a chance and bought this F150 xlt w/ a 4.2 v6 engine w/ 77500 miles on it. Being a Ford truck, I expected at least 200,000 miles out of it. Only got 115,000 before the engine threw a rod. I babied the truck above and beyond what it was called for. During my three years of ownership, replaced 4 tires, o2 sensor, alternator ($600),belts, 2 sets of sparksplugs. And the worst of all, $2900 for a whole new front suspension. Plus alot of little things that adds up to alot of money. I know when you by a used car or truck, you are going to spend a little money to bring it up to standard. But, come on that much on a Ford truck. I'm very disappoint and looking for a different truck.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, handle real nice on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the engines

BEST TRUCK EVER!
By Chris Bruce

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 4dr Extended Cab LB

I loved my f150 xl 2wd. It's reliable as hell, the ride is as smooth as driving a big car, and it is all around awesome. The only thing I didn't like was gas mileage, I was getting about 13 mpg. I wish it had a little more power to it, but it still had enough torque to pull my friends 93 Dodge ram charger with no problem. I love this truck I had to get rid of it because I needed something with better gas mileage but it felt like my girl friend broke up with me when I did. This truck is awesome and I would recommend that everyone should get it if they could afford the v8.

Favorite Features

Reliable, smooth ride, good build quality.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, and could use a little more power.

awesome truck
By jb

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

This truck now has 290,000 miles on it and I still drive it everyday. I put 285 bfg's on it and I still get about 13 mpg. I have replaced a few coils, but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. I kept thinking it would crap out, but it's still running strong. Ford finally did something right.

Favorite Features

still looks good, glad you can fit 285's at stock height, just trim the plastic airdam.

Suggested Improvements

Move the 4X4 knob..... it is way too close to the a/c controls.

Awesome Truck
By BIGDAVEW76

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

Bought this truck used in 2006 and it had 50k on it, has over 151k miles on it now and it still runs like it did when I bought it. I drive 65 miles round trip for work 5 days a week and it took it every day. Nothing week about this Ford Truck!!!

Favorite Features

Driving, gas milage, lots of room, very easy to maintain.

Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

Favorite Features

Reliability of engine. Transmission has been sweet too, but have not towed anything and I changed transmission fluid every 30-35k.

Suggested Improvements

The electical sysem is possessed and the brak pads and rotors must be bigger!! How about some squeekers on the thr rotors! First set of brakes wore out at 7000 miles! replaced ten, yes 10, sets of front brake pads, but not s single set of rear brake brakes!!!!

Bad Tranny
By chuck

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is a well designed and solid built truck. Every thing is tight and working well after ten years. The only problem and it is a big problem is the transmission had the famous Ford shudder when trying to lock up. I have bought two new Ford SUVs but after this I will not buy another Ford after such a fatal flaw. If you have not had the shudder yet, it is coming.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, paint, AC.

Suggested Improvements

Ford knew this trans design was flawed back in the early 90s but continued to use it through 2003.