1999 Ford F-150 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:
Awesome Truck!
By Hayden on 04/26/10 18:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob on 03/02/09 16:18 PM (PST)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

I would buy again
By John on 01/17/06 06:12 AM (PST)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced 3 ignition coils, all on the number 1 cylinder. I don't know why, but 3 on the same one seems kind of weird. I also had a fuel pump replaced last year. Other than that, it's been very reliable, and it's used in rough service. I have many short trips to and from work, and I often tow my boats with it. It has plenty of power, and it looks, rides, and runs like new.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz on 11/16/05 12:49 PM (PST)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Ford - BiG Disappointment
By RodmanC on 03/15/05 18:04 PM (PST)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My F150 has been a big letdown. I didn't expect a perfect truck, but come on, Ford quality stinks. I paid $27,000 for my Sport 4X4. I got (all within 3 years): 1. A front bumper rusting - Ford fixed. 2. Side step rails rusting - Ford replaced. 3. Inside of all doors at bottom rusted - Ford repaired. This winter had to remove rust and fix myself or doors would be damaged badly if I waited for spring. The doors still have me worried. 4. Back window now leaks. 5. The front brakes (I do my own) had rusted rotors (after 2 years); that amazed me. 6. I have that faint fatigue crack on the doors from the windows pushing up and causing a crack. Future problem! 7. My back bumper has rust bubbles now.

F-150 -- Good Truck
By TCU Guy on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This truck has been a great one to own, but I am ready for something that gets a little better gas mileage. The only problem I have had with the truck is Ford brakes. This is the second Ford I have owned and had the same issues with both vehicles.

My First Ford
By Bryan13 on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I was always a Chevrolet man until recently. I became a pretty good shade tree mechanic thanks to a 96 Silverado I had. So this time around I decided to give Ford a try. I am Very Happy I did because it has been the best riding truck I have ever owned.

Love my Off-Road!
By doddhawk on 06/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have a Triton 5.4L Off-Road4X4 and you won't find a better truck for the money! I use it to commute daily to work and on the rough side, I go 4- wheeling while ice-fishing and have been through the toughest(and deepest) mud holes in the outbacks of the Smokey Mountains...Ford tough is right!

My F1504x4
By BYGBRI on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

As of Apr. 15, 2003 the following have been repaired/replaced on my 5.4L, 4x4, 4R100(E4OD) trans: 1) Passenger side head gasket. 2) Rear window seal has been replaced. 3) 1st trans rebuild at 30k miles. 4) 2nd trans rebuil at 56k miles.

Rick's Truck
By RL on 05/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Awesome off-road capabilities. Built solid. I'll hand this truck down to my grandson in about 25 years.