Used 1999 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Awesome Truck!
By Hayden

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

SVT Lightning wheels, lowered suspension, magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and the growl when you step on the throttle!

Better transmission (Had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles), and fix the coil on plug problem.

Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

Reliability of engine. Transmission has been sweet too, but have not towed anything and I changed transmission fluid every 30-35k.

The electical sysem is possessed and the brak pads and rotors must be bigger!! How about some squeekers on the thr rotors! First set of brakes wore out at 7000 miles! replaced ten, yes 10, sets of front brake pads, but not s single set of rear brake brakes!!!!

I would buy again
By John

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced 3 ignition coils, all on the number 1 cylinder. I don't know why, but 3 on the same one seems kind of weird. I also had a fuel pump replaced last year. Other than that, it's been very reliable, and it's used in rough service. I have many short trips to and from work, and I often tow my boats with it. It has plenty of power, and it looks, rides, and runs like new.

The interior room is amazing! Nothing comes close to it. I love the ride of this truck, and it's smooth, and fun to drive.

Fuel mileage should be a bit better. At the worst I get 9mpg, and the best is 14+. Placement of the electronic 4x4 shift knob can be confused with the heater fan knob if you are not familiar with their locations. I would have preferred that the 4x4 shift knob be placed elsewhere.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Roominess, towing capacity, performance, and smooth ride.

Better gas mileage for this 5.4 liter engine.

Ford - BiG Disappointment
By RodmanC

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My F150 has been a big letdown. I didn't expect a perfect truck, but come on, Ford quality stinks. I paid $27,000 for my Sport 4X4. I got (all within 3 years): 1. A front bumper rusting - Ford fixed. 2. Side step rails rusting - Ford replaced. 3. Inside of all doors at bottom rusted - Ford repaired. This winter had to remove rust and fix myself or doors would be damaged badly if I waited for spring. The doors still have me worried. 4. Back window now leaks. 5. The front brakes (I do my own) had rusted rotors (after 2 years); that amazed me. 6. I have that faint fatigue crack on the doors from the windows pushing up and causing a crack. Future problem! 7. My back bumper has rust bubbles now.

The truck looks great. Runs good when all of the cylinders are working. The CD changer works well.

Quality, the rust on the body parts. The frame, brake lines, everything that faces the road rusts, rusts and rusts.