Used 1999 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best Full size working truck I've owned
By bruceglenn@yandex.com

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The company purchased a 1999 F-150 off lease in 2000 with 42k miles on it. Cost 20k at the time about 6 off retail pricing. Yes a little high miles but it felt like good solid truck... 237,500 miles less the original miles the truck has been great abet not perfect but all in all I'm very happy with its performance all of these years.
The 5.4 has had no. 8 coil fail twice and # 7 coil failed recently due to a small leak on the head gasket. The fuel pump, left front wheel bearing, one alternator, one starter, one battery, has burned a little oil through its life up to one quart every 3500 mile oil change. The brakes are not the best when cold and need to be slowly warmed up to stop correctly, they have a tendency to lock up if cold. The engine and transmission are perfect I don't remember the axle ratio but its a smooth ride amazing fast when need to punch it...This truck get loaded to the gills and runs perfectly...Interior driver seat of course tore, dash lights burn out, odometer stop working so I sent it in for repairs 100 bucks later reinstalled...Paint is getting ruff after 17 years and one really lousy Auto paint guy... The new trucks are too tall for contractors to work out off unless your 6'6" tall..I'm 5'8" ....In 2004 ford added# 500 plus pounds to a half ton truck ? FTW.... Dumb ....engineering design IMO.. I'm looking for a 2003 last model of this truck with 135K or less miles ....Do you have one?

bad truck
By Gen

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I own a 1999 f150 and I hate it. I bought a toyota tundra a few weeks ago and I'll never buy another ford. But my 99 ford broke everywhere week the back window leaked and tons of rust on it. I got terrible gas mileage I was lucky to get 8 mpg it was bad. I'd fix 1 thing then another thing would break. It had 128,000 miles on it. I'll never buy another ford I put 3 front ends on it I hated it. I just came to the point that I got tired of fixing it so like I said I went out and bought a toyota tundra and I love it.

Best Ford in the world
By Juan

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

We purchase the F-150 with 140,000 miles an know is over 220,000 miles an never rely had a problem only part we had to replace was an alternator, tires, and wiper blades. The F-150 still very original even has the original battery. The 4WD was amazing she could pass through the snow, and mud with no problem. Got amazing gas millage for a pickup, we could over 8 hours of driving without having to think were to stop for gas. Has the strong running 5.4(330) which is fun to drive around if you get what I mean. The box is pretty good size not to short or to long there is more space then some of the newer replacement. The F-150 was decent at towing you just may loose the good mpg other than that you will pull just find. We still have the F-150 but after 9 years of running strong she blew a sparkplug coil. We took it to get fix with our local mechanic and he end up making a big hole on the engine head so we now looking for an engine head to get it up an running.

Awesome Truck!
By Hayden

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

SVT Lightning wheels, lowered suspension, magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and the growl when you step on the throttle!

Better transmission (Had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles), and fix the coil on plug problem.

Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

Reliability of engine. Transmission has been sweet too, but have not towed anything and I changed transmission fluid every 30-35k.

The electical sysem is possessed and the brak pads and rotors must be bigger!! How about some squeekers on the thr rotors! First set of brakes wore out at 7000 miles! replaced ten, yes 10, sets of front brake pads, but not s single set of rear brake brakes!!!!