1999 Ford F-150 XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

What the Heck?
By Ricky

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Took a chance and bought this F150 xlt w/ a 4.2 v6 engine w/ 77500 miles on it. Being a Ford truck, I expected at least 200,000 miles out of it. Only got 115,000 before the engine threw a rod. I babied the truck above and beyond what it was called for. During my three years of ownership, replaced 4 tires, o2 sensor, alternator ($600),belts, 2 sets of sparksplugs. And the worst of all, $2900 for a whole new front suspension. Plus alot of little things that adds up to alot of money. I know when you by a used car or truck, you are going to spend a little money to bring it up to standard. But, come on that much on a Ford truck. I'm very disappoint and looking for a different truck.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, handle real nice on the highway

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the engines

Bad Tranny
By chuck

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is a well designed and solid built truck. Every thing is tight and working well after ten years. The only problem and it is a big problem is the transmission had the famous Ford shudder when trying to lock up. I have bought two new Ford SUVs but after this I will not buy another Ford after such a fatal flaw. If you have not had the shudder yet, it is coming.

Favorite Features

Interior quality, paint, AC.

Suggested Improvements

Ford knew this trans design was flawed back in the early 90s but continued to use it through 2003.

Everything but the plugs
By jasnjan

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Our F150 is 2WD and has the 4.6 Triton. I have been overall pleased with this motor. It has enough pep to haul me, my pianos, and my piano trailer once or twice a week. When it pulls a trailer I can count on about 14 mpg. Not loaded about 18 and up to 21 even. I pulled a car trailer and an old car home from Montana and it did great! My only gripe is the plugs. I didn't have one blow but had symptoms and took it in and had plugs, wires, the whole shoot and match for about $900. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing a head. If you don't catch that stuff, it sounds like real trouble.

Favorite Features

Pep, sometimes it almost feels like a heavier Mustang. Comfortable interior, 4 dr cab is a huge improvement over my older 2 door cabs.

Suggested Improvements

Fix those darn plug problems! When closing the main door onto the extended cab door, it feels a bit flimsy.

This Truck is a Hazard to life and limb
By Thingriz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

The front left tire has fallen off three times due to ungreasable pressed in steering components. All Ford replacement parts and all of poor quality. One control arm didn't last a year. That was the time I had just finished driving to work at 65MPH and as I pulled in the hospital parking lot the wheel fell off, blocking the entrance. Real nice. Yesterday the brakes went out...period. The thing goes through coils at the rate of one or more a year. The hood latch broke. I had to take the spare tire out to replace the shocks - that stupid system was broke right from the factory. The 4wheel drive is broke, I don't know why yet. I suspect an engage motor. I could go on but no more letters to use!

Favorite Features

The stereo, but that cost me $7,000 USD and doesn't have the Ford logo anywhere on it.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to greaseable parts that last. Spend a few extra bucks on some stainless steel lines. Fire anybody who worked on this truck from research to assembly.

Great Truck!
By smith

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

We sold our 2004 Explorer last summer to buy our 1999 Ford F150. We love it - actually more than our Explorer. We bought it so we could pull a camper cross-country when we were moving. My family has always loved Fords but my husband was a Chevy man until this purchase. We pulled a 26' camper loaded with belongings through several mountain chains - when we started through the first set of mountains, my husband said if we make it all the way there with no problems, I'll be a Ford man. Not one problem! In fact, that was last July and we still have had no problems. We put new tires on it when we bought it and have had the tires rotated and oil changed - THAT'S IT! Highly recommend this model.

Favorite Features

It is such a comfortable ride - a tough, well built truck. I guess the reliability would be our favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

NONE!

An excellent pick up truck
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I have had NO problems with this vehicle. I moved from LA to then moved back to AL and coming back I towed another vehicle behind me. As you can imagine going through the Rocky Mountains towing a car behind me might seem difficult. But not this truck. It held its own and then some with the flow of traffic. No problems going UP mountains. A/C,P/W,P/L all still work fine. Killer Stereo. As you can tell I crazy in love with my F150 XLT Triton V8 truck!

Favorite Features

The COMFORT, AC, POWER ... I guess you could say the whole package!

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything that would improve on what is already offered.

Great Ride with Good Reliability
By Jack Barritt

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the truck with 20,000 miles in 2000 and 4 years later have 117,000. It has the 4.6L V-8 that has adaquate power but gas mileage has been around 14 mpg with local driving. Overall, the truck rides well and has been very dependable. I did have to get the transmission rebuilt at 100,000 miles which set me back $1900 but otherwise the truck has required little maintenance and still runs and rides very well. I plan to keep it several more years.

Favorite Features

Split rear window, 4 doors, ride quality

Suggested Improvements

The brakes are weak. Wish it had 4 wheel discs

Should have bought an 8
By Thornburg

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

My truck has the 4.2 V6. For towing you definetly need the V8. The good news is my fuel economy is 19.7 on the freeway and 15.5 city. Not bad for a full size truck. Very reliable to drive and very comfortable for a familly of 4 when traveling. I would tell anyone to buy one for a second or even a first familly vehicle.

Favorite Features

Great veiw with no blind spots. Low cost of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a V8 with the 5 speed manual transmission.

What a great vehicle
By avrz10

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I had always owned imports because of the reliability, 115,000 miles later the only thing I have done to this truck is put gas in it and change the oil and one set of tires. It runs like new, drives like new. Amazing Great work Ford! The only complaint I have is the wind noise while on the Highway could be quieter, I guess 2004 fixes this. I have the 4.6 V8 and get about 17-19 mpg on this truck. I will be buying a new super crew to replace this as my kids are getting older.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, Smooth ride, Good power.

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the cab a bit and this would be the perfect truck.

My first truck!
By dseifried

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is my first experience with a truck, as I have been shopping for several years. Have rented several brands, for short periods of time, mainly Rangers & S10's. I am really glad I went with the F150 (full size), as it is much better driving, than the smaller pick-ups. What a dream to drive, especially on the road. It is one, great truck!

Favorite Features

I really like the quietness of this truck, and how powerful the little V8 (4.6)is. Real quality interior and interior trim.

Suggested Improvements

For do-it-yourself mechanics, the engine is difficult to work on, like plug changes and even oil filter changes. Make it more user friendly to repair. Door crack is also a bummer, for a truck of this quality. Ever 150 I see has the famous Ford "door crack"!