Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Ford in Front
By john

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Bought this truck in 02 with 55,000 miles, great looking, still get compliments. Runs great, 200,000 mi, only changed one coil pack and 2 alternators. Some cold weather knock as of late but thats been all. Very happy and will stay with Ford, although never had Chevy truck trouble either. 4WD works great, tows good, breaking with trailer less than optimal as rear drum breaks are on this truck.

Height of truck, stock 4x4 sits high and proud. Sounds great with cat converters only.

4 wheel disc on this model

Good truck
By Dan

1999 Ford F-150 Work 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck for cheap a little over 2 years ago, knowing it needed a rear end. I had that done, then the auto trans went out! It seems the previous owner had seriously abused the truck by pulling overweight trailers (10,000+ pounds!) for long distances. Recently, the V6 engine's intake manifold gasket leaked, allowing a cylinder to fill with coolant. When I tried to start it the next time, it hydro-locked and bent the rod. The engine's being rebuilt. This truck has over 260,000 miles on it, and it was abused by the previous owner for many of those miles. Considering what I paid for it, and it's now basically a completely new drivetrain, I feel like I got a decent deal.

Body is in good shape, and the interior is, if plain, pretty decent. It drives well, and handles very well on the highway.

Ford has fixed the problem with the intake gaskets, and the transmissions have been redesigned.

Hard truck to kill.
By Hybris

1999 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Great truck overall, it may not have the power or ride of the newer truck but in brute reliability this truck has done me well. Its a truck with a 2v 5.4 so good mileage is not a goal to reach for but I can hit 15 mpg if I baby it. In terms of power it still has lots of get up and go and will easily pull my 7900lb car carrier in the hills of Kansas. On maintenance it can be hard to do somethings like change out plugs because of how tight the engine bay is but otherwise its a good way for a beginning DIY person to learn how to work on a truck. The interior is in my experience indestructible save for the cloth seats which are a wear item anyway. I will never have a truck without Vinyl floors.

Good power, indestructible interior, reasonably easy to work on.

Wish I had gotten a late model 99 with four wheel disc brakes. Would also like to see frame mounted running boards or Nerf bars as a possible aftermarket accessory.

Well pleased with it
By Charles

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in late 1999. It has been a great truck. Has 82,000 miles and I replaced the front brake pads at about 70,000 and replaced the drivers electric door lock at around 50,000. Has all the power I need (5.4 engine). Gas mileage is 14-17 mpg. I have owned 2 new Ford, and 4 new Chevy trucks in my life and while I liked both I have to give Ford the edge in quality in these 6 trucks.

quality, looks.

Softer ride on 4x4. Improve MPG by 2-3.

Awesome Truck!
By Hayden

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My dad bought this f150 on july 20th, 1999. It has 64,100 miles on it, and it is going strong! This truck is now mine, I turned 16 in January, and i'm getting my license on friday. The 5.4l is one of the best engines Ford has built. It hasn't given us that many problems yet. It will be 12 years old in a little less than 3 months, and i plan to drive it until the day i either total it, or it dies on me.

SVT Lightning wheels, lowered suspension, magnaflow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, and the growl when you step on the throttle!

Better transmission (Had to be rebuilt at 30,000 miles), and fix the coil on plug problem.